Solomun +1 2019

Come on Thomas, you can’t call it out and not name, names!
Of course there is not much Chavs around this forum. To be honest I would take some more. Don't get me wrong, I love this forum, it helped me so much to discover "correctly" the island and it's the reason why I have spend so much time here the last couple of years.

At the same time, there are way too many people taking theirselfs way too seriously in here and I think it's realy hurting this forum. I expect the oldtimers to give me some advice (they are so helpfull) but they dont have to diss every newcomers because they see Ibiza in different ways.

I understand that the island is not as underground as it once was, but is this a reason to diss everybody that's posting appreciation for something else? Anyway, maybe it's only my North-American point of view, but Ibiza remains more underground than EDM and the underground parties remains the most popular.

I think if newcomers are not treated better by "well knowed members" this forum could loose alot of utility and popularity (my GF is 29 and she already generaly thinks the idea of a forum is for old folks...). Personnaly, I've been diss or ignore alot (was I that bad?) and I tought bout leaving this forum alot of times. I'm propably the # 1 Ibiza ambasador here in Montreal and Quebec (clubbing in all the electronic music scenes), but I felt like an idiot here a numerous time... In another hand, everybody I meet in all my trips in Ibiza showed me great respect and big love.

Whatever. Peace.

I don't share your statement about how the newcomers are treated, I see a lot of threads opened by newcomers (who never come back after btw) where they are looking for information, and generally there is always an old grumpy member (like me) to help, but maybe I'm wrong...
Of course sometimes, and very often about music tastes or clubs, we sometimes have more "animated" (not sure about this word ?) talks, but generally I believe the forum has a nice vibe...

I understand that the island is not as underground as it once was, but is this a reason to diss everybody that's posting appreciation for something else? Anyway, maybe it's only my North-American point of view, but Ibiza remains more underground than EDM and the underground parties remains the most popular.

Ibiza has a variety of music scenes but I agree that it's generally still more underground overall. Guys like ToU and Solomun are popular but their music is not really accessible by conventional means, despite how 'big' it may seem to some navel gazer lol.

I will carry the torch now and bask in whatever Ibiza is considered in a few days!!

I don't share your statement about how the newcomers are treated, I see a lot of threads opened by newcomers (who never come back after btw) where they are looking for information, and generally there is always an old grumpy member (like me) to help, but maybe I'm wrong...
Of course sometimes, and very often about music tastes or clubs, we sometimes have more "animated" (not sure about this word ?) talks, but generally I believe the forum has a nice vibe...
It 100% does. Bit of harmless trolling but overall just folk sharing opinions, advice and experiences.

Of course there is not much Chavs around this forum. To be honest I would take some more. Don't get me wrong, I love this forum, it helped me so much to discover "correctly" the island and it's the reason why I have spend so much time here the last couple of years.

At the same time, there are way too many people taking theirselfs way too seriously in here and I think it's realy hurting this forum. I expect the oldtimers to give me some advice (they are so helpfull) but they dont have to diss every newcomers because they see Ibiza in different ways.

I think if newcomers are not treated better by "well knowed members" this forum could loose alot of utility and popularity (my GF is 29 and she already generaly thinks the idea of a forum is for old folks...). Personnaly, I've been diss or ignore alot (was I that bad?) and I tought bout leaving this forum alot of times. I'm propably the # 1 Ibiza ambasador here in Montreal and Quebec (clubbing in all the electronic music scenes), but I felt like an idiot here a numerous time... In another hand, everybody I meet in all my trips in Ibiza showed me great respect and big love.

Whatever. Peace.

thanks for feedback. I'm sadly not so surprised to read this and it confirmes something I've been thinking.

It 100% does. Bit of harmless trolling but overall just folk sharing opinions, advice and experiences.

point is, I believe lots of new members don't perceive it that way.

hi thomas, agreed that the tone of the forum is sometimes too harsh for newer members. it's something very close to my heart and we've banned people before for that sort of behaviour and i'll always message them to ask them to change.

one thing a lot of people tend to forget is how they started. nearly everyone starts by liking a lighter, more commercial style of music. then their tastes change over the years and they end up feeling a bit silly for liking that type of music initially. and because of this insecurity, look down and ridicule newcomers to the scene for not instantly liking "their" brand of music.

it's human nature and is not meant in a nasty way, but i'm always on the look out for it.

this forum will die if it ends up an echo chamber for the same members with the same music tastes. we need new blood all the time. this means treating new members with respect regardless of musical tastes. always treat someone as you would like to be treated yourself. always extend a welcoming hand when someone has the courage to sign up.

we have far many more lookers than actual members. if the vibe of the forum remains welcoming then these lookers sign up - which is a result for everyone. i've made such dear friends through these forums. imagine if no one else signed up because they felt intimidated :(

i am over exaggerating because after 17 years, the forum is still pretty chilled and welcoming. and i think the fact that we are still going strong is a credit to us all!! :)

i sound like my dad. i'll stop now.

p.s. i loved proper trance and garage house for years in the 90s ;)

hi thomas, agreed that the tone of the forum is sometimes too harsh for newer members. it's something very close to my heart and we've banned people before for that sort of behaviour and i'll always message them to ask them to change.

one thing a lot of people tend to forget is how they started. nearly everyone starts by liking a lighter, more commercial style of music. then their tastes change over the years and they end up feeling a bit silly for liking that type of music initially. and because of this insecurity, look down and ridicule newcomers to the scene for not instantly liking "their" brand of music.

it's human nature and is not meant in a nasty way, but i'm always on the look out for it.

this forum will die if it ends up an echo chamber for the same members with the same music tastes. we need new blood all the time. this means treating new members with respect regardless of musical tastes. always treat someone as you would like to be treated yourself. always extend a welcoming hand when someone has the courage to sign up.

we have far many more lookers than actual members. if the vibe of the forum remains welcoming then these lookers sign up - which is a result for everyone. i've made such dear friends through these forums. imagine if no one else signed up because they felt intimidated :(

i am over exaggerating because after 17 years, the forum is still pretty chilled and welcoming. and i think the fact that we are still going strong is a credit to us all!! :)

10/10 post

Whatever. Peace.
I'm a really new member and I've found it easy going... maybe it's because my social circle has all those types of people in it; sarcastic banter, music snobs, people that just wanna get trashed, and youngsters.

It's all good.

And yes, Ibiza is not as good as it once was - that's for sure.

Still the best place on earth though.

I still like 'proper' trance.

:D

Back