So what's this year's Man With The Red Face?

you could argue that house has been unashamedly pilfering samples for 20+ years but the difference here is wholescale reproductions of records under a new guise... in literature, they call it plagiarism...

Defected put out that notorious reworking of strings of life a few years back and in mitigation, I thought the danny krivit mix was very good. But the version that got radio play was a true abomination which I can imagine Derrick only sanctioned for the royalties...

similarly, some chancer called ATFC (?) appropriating carino (CARINO!!!!! :cry::rolleyes:) and managing to single-handedly decimate all that was beautiful in the original...

I don't like this trend. I don't like it one bit. Fair enough, I can personally easily avoid these tunes - but it's morally wrong that the trash reworkings seep into the public consciousness...

I was bought up on Defected stuff (many skeletons) and they got to me mostly before I even got into disco. I have an acquired emotional numbness to all things Salsoul as "they" got in their first with a cover or re-edits that now makes my ears bleed (we won't talk about how I originally felt for them :oops:).

Funnily enough I had to shazam Corino at Glasto (as heard in the HMD NY Downlow) and upon returning and finding the original and ATFC version I did throw a bit of a :rolleyes: face.

I genuinely wouldn't mind if all these weren't just exercises in cleaning them up, chucking on big beats, perfectly syncopated at something stupid like 130 bpm, and shoved on a beat only 30 second intro and 60 second outro. I know there's roughly spotlights entire population (less 2 people!) reading this thinkig I sound like a twat or a snob, but that's honestly the way it is.

And then you find out they've 'done' your favourite and a little bit inside of you dies :(

If you've ever seen the start of Maestro, or even heard Coach House Rhythm Section - Time Warp, then I suggest you don't ever download Harry Choo Choo Romero's Warped.

And by christ if you see a version of Angel in My pocket that isn't clearly, distinctly and unquestionably labelled as done by Change/JB then for the love of God move as far awat as you can from the source, now! :lol:

am ambivalent towards Defected - eg they licensed DJ Gregory Elle from faya combo and exposed a bona fide classic record to people who would never have heard it - in that respect, they are doing the scene a favour - but I do get the impression recently that in order to balance the books, they've been forced to drop standards...

Coach House Rhythm Section - Time Warp

AKA Eddy Grant? aaaah, AMAZING tune - later, the basis of metro area's miura - tune!

100% spot on

and Olly, if you like Coyote s Harlyn Bay check out Smith&Mudd's album Le Suivant, its bliss.

I was bought up on Defected stuff (many skeletons) and they got to me mostly before I even got into disco. I have an acquired emotional numbness to all things Salsoul as "they" got in their first with a cover or re-edits that now makes my ears bleed (we won't talk about how I originally felt for them :oops:).

Funnily enough I had to shazam Corino at Glasto (as heard in the HMD NY Downlow) and upon returning and finding the original and ATFC version I did throw a bit of a :rolleyes: face.
I genuinely wouldn't mind if all these weren't just exercises in cleaning them up, chucking on big beats, perfectly syncopated at something stupid like 130 bpm, and shoved on a beat only 30 second intro and 60 second outro. I know there's roughly spotlights entire population (less 2 people!) reading this thinkig I sound like a twat or a snob, but that's honestly the way it is.

And then you find out they've 'done' your favourite and a little bit inside of you dies :(

If you've ever seen the start of Maestro, or even heard Coach House Rhythm Section - Time Warp, then I suggest you don't ever download Harry Choo Choo Romero's Warped.

And by christ if you see a version of Angel in My pocket that isn't clearly, distinctly and unquestionably labelled as done by Change/JB then for the love of God move as far awat as you can from the source, now! :lol:

am ambivalent towards Defected - eg they licensed DJ Gregory Elle from faya combo and exposed a bona fide classic record to people who would never have heard it - in that respect, they are doing the scene a favour - but I do get the impression recently that in order to balance the books, they've been forced to drop standards...

AKA Eddy Grant? aaaah, AMAZING tune - later, the basis of metro area's miura - tune!

Its the B side to Eddy Grant Nobody's got time, its basically a dub version.

I don't want to get all sneery, but I do have nights where I wake up in cold sweats with this reoccuring nightmare that there's all these kids in nightclubs that think The Man With The Red Face is an orignal Funkagenda idea and production. :oops::oops::oops::lol::spank:

(Nice list btw)

Not quite the same but I feel this way about William Orbits Adagio for Strings remixed by Ferry Corsten (please don't say anything I already know :oops:) but Tiesto gets a lot of glory for that from post 2001 trancers even though his version was an ugly rip off of Ferry's remix ... however fugly you think the song is you have to agree with me lol :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Not quite the same but I feel this way about William Orbits Adagio for Strings remixed by Ferry Corsten (please don't say anything I already know :oops:) but Tiesto gets a lot of glory for that from post 2001 trancers even though his version was an ugly rip off of Ferry's remix ... however fugly you think the song is you have to agree with me lol :oops::oops::oops::oops:

How do you think Samuel Barber feels!?

Speaking of big 2009 tunes, I think this should be the new Grindhouse:

Paul Ritch - Split The Line (Dubfire's Mega Remix)

Brilliant tune!

where do you go in Ibiza? Pacha/Space?

go to Cocoon or Monza and then we can talk music

I have been to both, I have been to pretty much all the parties in Ibiza (Apart from Prang & Clubland etc), Im not the kind to talk music, I go to a club & dance not sit there trying to work out what genre the DJ is playing. Ibiza is all about having a good time not Ibiza Snobbery.

yeah, I quite like that dennis ferrer too

my fave records of 2009 so far off top of head - some balearic, some house - loads missed out, which I couldn't hope to identify

mungolian jetset moon jocks n prog rocks
roy davis junior - come on
florence and the machine - rabbit heart leo edit
40 thieves - don't turn it off Brennan Green remix
crazy p - stop space return - unabombers dub
woolfy projections - starlight - invisible conga people mix
dj kaos - love the night away - tie dye mix
jack penate - tonight's today
lola - wax the van - ilja rudman mix
au revoir simone - grateful
jj cale - ride me high - joakim mix
dj mehdi - pocket piano - joakim mix
codebreaker - follow me
djuma soundsystem - small fries
visti & meyland - yes ma'am all night long
equinox - code 718 - henrik schwarz mix
tony lioni - found a place
black flag - duchess says - juan maclean mix
einfach - lemany
ame - setsi
dj hell - the angst (orig 1 & 2 + henrik schwarz remix)
unkle - hold my hand - innervisions orchestra mix
mes - madrugada
house of house - rushing to paradise
motor city drum ensemble 6

albums

juan maclean
coyote

download link, Olly?

:lol:

Tune of my last year was

Marvin Gaye - heavy love affair - the revenge rework

Easily aswell.

If you like a bit of Nu Disco check out the Emperor Machine mix of Laurent Garnier - Pay TV

its on Djdownload amongst others. I likes it.

Back