See you later Adios Amigos

silvia said:
Don't forget the cultural differences, grego.
I usually read on here that spanish are rude and unpolite but that's a matter of cultural differences, while and english would say: goodbye, have a nice then and enjoy your trip, I would say a short Adiós
Same with things that to me sound like personal agressions are taken as sarcasm and sarcasm is supposed to be healthy (I'm still not sure about it)

At the end of the day is what james said in this same post, there's a majority of brit people on here and as most majorities, sometimes people forget it's an international community with different sensitiveness

i understand your point, so are you therefore saying that non-brits may find something offensive, when the british didn't mean it that way.

If yes, then you need to be telling peppermint this, not me, as she is the one who thinks some people are being "rude/walking all over people".:confused:

grego said:
i understand your point, so are you therefore saying that non-brits may find something offensive, when the british didn't mean it that way.

If yes, then you need to be telling peppermint this, not me, as she is the one who thinks some people are being "rude/walking all over people".:confused:

:rolleyes: at your last bit
So Peppermint should make the effort cos she is non-brit and a minority while the brits (majority) don't need to take in consideration that this is a International community and so politeness or rudeness doesn't mean the same to everyobody in the house. How nice

just to add to sil's post........

we never have any problems on the spanish and german forums. how odd that all the hassle we have with this site happens on the english forum and amongst those who are continually complaining about the oikish behaviour of 'brits abroad'

stephen said:

we never have any problems on the spanish and german forums. how odd that all the hassle we have with this site happens on the english forum and amongst those who are continually complaining about the oikish behaviour of 'brits abroad'

I wonder what would happen in an italian forum :confused:

(just a thought, not meaning to say that italians are oikish or anything)

silvia said:
:rolleyes: at your last bit

why :rolleyes: at my comment, it is a logical progression of the point you made. I have no problem with peppermint (i've neither spoken to her or know who she is). i'm merely trying to understand the reasons behind her comments. thats all.:confused:

silvia said:
So Peppermint should make the effort cos she is non-brit and a minority while the brits (majority) don't need to take in consideration that this is a International community and so politeness or rudeness doesn't mean the same to everyobody in the house. How nice

shame on you! debería darte vergüenza!:lol: :lol: you know thats not what i'm saying and you know me better to know thats not what i'm trying to say.

she is accusing people of being rude. I not saying people are rude or are not. I just want her to support her claim. tranki sil.;)

stephen said:

i've had a few run-ins with you in the spanish forum stephen;) :lol:

true, but then i'm not forever banging on about people who wear football jerseys or drink beer.

grego said:
why :rolleyes: at my comment, it is a logical progression of the point you made. I have no problem with peppermint (i've neither spoken to her or know who she is). i'm merely trying to understand the reasons behind her comments. thats all.:confused:

shame on you! debería darte vergüenza!:lol: :lol: you know thats not what i'm saying and you know me better to know thats not what i'm trying to say.

she is accusing people of being rude. I not saying people are rude or are not. I just want her to support her claim. tranki sil.;)

I'm not defending anyone, I'm not defending peppermint and I'm not defending the rudeness comment, I'm just pointing out something that people usually forgot even if it's important in a international community. And it was you who take it personally while my comment was meant to everybody, to you and to her.
"She is accusing people to be rude" -> she may find people rude because of cultural differences -> people should remember cultural differences to avoid this comments.
It's that difficult to understand? It's my english that difficult to follow?
And yes, that's what I understood, and don't come and say it's my english difficult to follow cos ify ou are a bit lateral or you use a bit of empathy you'll see my conclusion isn't that far of what you wrote

And honestly, you don't know what's to be a minority, you don't have a clue of what it is to be all the time pointed out with things like: it's our sense of humor and you can't understand; I'm not being rude it's just sarcasm and similars. It's fine cos the international members are here cos we want it, but sometimes I thin it would be a really good thing for some of you to spend a bit of time in a foreing forum and to know what's to be foreing and what's to be a minority

Peppermint said:
grego, it's the impression I have from reading posts on this board for a couple of years now.

thats fine then. i wasn't questioning whether you were right or wrong, just interested to know why you felt that way.

silvia said:
And honestly, you don't know what's to be a minority, you don't have a clue of what it is to be all the time pointed out with things like: it's our sense of humor and you can't understand; I'm not being rude it's just sarcasm and similars. It's fine cos the international members are here cos we want it, but sometimes I thin it would be a really good thing for some of you to spend a bit of time in a foreing forum and to know what's to be foreing and what's to be a minority

I do appreciate your point Silv. Despite how you interpret my posts, I do value your contribution, and I'm certainly not suggesting your view is invalid, but what if I suggested going on, say, a Spanish speaking website and told them all how to act, and how they change to accomodate me?

I wouldn't.

Whilst I'm certainly not suggesting we should be in any way unwelcoming to "minorities(!)", I'm personally a firm believer in the "When in Rome..." school of international diplomacy.

This board has an alarming good character IMO. Whilst it's easy to see us all as ignorant, inconsiderate rude Brits, I personally think "we" are pretty damn good at helping people on their Ibiza trips, and to lose site of that would be unfair.

Yes, occasionally there are a few threads where the banter heats up, though numbers-wise , it's a tiny % of what goes on on here, and as so many of us are mates (digitally and in reality) there's bound to be a few cliques or favorites.

I don't want to bring it up again though if "we" had an output for our more risque/unrelated threads etc....

silvia said:
I'm not defending anyone, I'm not defending peppermint and I'm not defending the rudeness comment, I'm just pointing out something that people usually forgot even if it's important in a international community. And it was you who take it personally while my comment was meant to everybody, to you and to her.
"She is accusing people to be rude" -> she may find people rude because of cultural differences -> people should remember cultural differences to avoid this comments.
It's that difficult to understand? It's my english that difficult to follow?
And yes, that's what I understood, and don't come and say it's my english difficult to follow cos ify ou are a bit lateral or you use a bit of empathy you'll see my conclusion isn't that far of what you wrote

should i take this personally??:confused: i am very dissapointed that you think i would use your english as a reason to not understand your point of view.

i know exactly the feeling you describe cos i regularly attempt to post in the spanish forum.

nunca jamás supongo que sabes si yo entiendo lo que es estar en la minoría, nunca.

grego said:
should i take this personally??:confused: i am very dissapointed that you think i would use your english as a reason to not understand your point of view.

i know exactly the feeling you describe cos i regularly attempt to post in the spanish forum.

nunca jamás supongo que sabes si yo entiendo lo que es estar en la minoría, nunca.

NO, don' take it personally cos it's not, but it's a very common answer when I have my own interpretation of other's words.
You know you can't compare being foreing in here and being foreing in the spanish forum, cos the "atmosphere" and the dimension of both forums are totally opposite. And actually I wrote "some of you" and not "grego". See? The missunderstood is over? ;)

puppylover said:
I am good thank you - head down at work and getting loads done so all going well....

Benson is still hanging on in there, he is walking sideways now as his back leg has gone a bit wobbly - its impressive to watch - its like he's drunk :lol: :lol: Still he's happy and generally still plodding on so that's a relief!!

How exciting? Grandmother Leese 8) - I'll be interested in adopting possibly!! Cant have too many dogs or shoes imo.......

Lovely to see you popping in again.... xxxxxx

I have been a bit of a work head myself lately, god it's boring!

Awww bless Benson, lil drunk puppy doo, I'm glad he's ok, send him my love, and give him a lil kiss on the nose for me :p

I will let you know all info when we breed, and if nothing else, you can have pictures of the pups, may even sneak you a puppy in the post, special delivery :lol:

Lovely to talk to you again *mwah* XxX

Dan x said:
I do appreciate your point Silv. Despite how you interpret my posts, I do value your contribution, and I'm certainly not suggesting your view is invalid, but what if I suggested going on, say, a Spanish speaking website and told them all how to act, and how they change to accomodate me?

I wouldn't.

Whilst I'm certainly not suggesting we should be in any way unwelcoming to "minorities(!)", I'm personally a firm believer in the "When in Rome..." school of international diplomacy.

This board has an alarming good character IMO. Whilst it's easy to see us all as ignorant, inconsiderate rude Brits, I personally think "we" are pretty damn good at helping people on their Ibiza trips, and to lose site of that would be unfair.

Yes, occasionally there are a few threads where the banter heats up, though numbers-wise , it's a tiny % of what goes on on here, and as so many of us are mates (digitally and in reality) there's bound to be a few cliques or favorites.

I don't want to bring it up again though if "we" had an output for our more risque/unrelated threads etc....

Coming from somenoe who thinks that Ibiza bar staff should speak english it's not surprising this comment. Different points of views, I guess.
But I asked you kindly to ignore me, do you remember?

Thanks

silvia said:
NO, don' take it personally cos it's not, but it's a very common answer when I have my own interpretation of other's words.
You know you can't compare being foreing in here and being foreing in the spanish forum, cos the "atmosphere" and the dimension of both forums are totally opposite. And actually I wrote "some of you" and not "grego". See? The missunderstood is over? ;)

cool then. ven acurrúcate conmigo??:confused: ;)

Back