Ryanair admin fee £50!

Budget airline Ryanair has been accused of playing 'silly games' with customers by charging them for paying by credit or debit card.
John Fingleton, chief executive of the Office of Fair Trading, said the low- cost carrier was only within the 'narrow letter of the law' after it changed its system.

The Office of Fair Trading has attacked Ryanair over aspects of its charging policy
Ryanair now offers free payment only for users of the obscure MasterCard Prepaid card. It means that everyone paying for a Ryanair flight with a conventional credit or debit card is charged a £5 fee - adding £40 for a family of four on a return trip. The estimated cost to the airline of processing each payment is 30p.
The law says that if an airline offers at least one free payment method, it is allowed to advertise cheap fares that do not include extra credit card charges.

Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary (left) and John Fingleton, OFT chief executive, who criticised the practice of adding charges to payments made with a specific type of bank card

Mr Fingleton said Ryanair, which already charges its customers to check in baggage, was using a 'childish' tactic.
He said: 'It's almost like taunting customers and pointing out, "Oh well, we know this is completely outside the spirit of the law, but we think it's within the narrow letter of the law".'

Ryanair: How the charges add up (all are per person and per flight):
  • ONLINE CHECK-IN (not charged on some promotional fares) - £5
  • CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD PAYMENT ('administration fee') - £5
  • PRIORITY BOARDING FEE - £4
  • CHECKED BAGGAGE - 1st bag, up to 15 kg £15, 2nd bag £35
  • EXCESS BAGGAGE - £20 per kilo
  • CHILD CAR SEAT/BOOSTER?TRAVEL COT - £10
  • SPORTS EQUIPMENT/MUSICAL INSTRUMENT- £40
Mr Fingleton added: 'On some level it's quite puerile - it's almost childish. This is just playing silly games at the margins of it all.'
He said the OFT 'might or might not' pursue such behaviour, but added that public anger could prove to be more effective than regulatory action.

Would never use Ryanair or Easyjet, i just don't trust them.

Used Thomsonfly last year and will probably use them or Jet2 this year.

I've been told Jet2 is ok, but i still have my doubts.

Been flying for years to Ibiza with Jet2.com, and never had a problem.

Except once, on the way home. I was fiddling around with the window blind - well, trying to find it, actually, and the whole window came apart.

Luckily, it was the inside window :) so it's purely superficial. If it had been the outer window I wouldn't be writing this now (except from some heavenly Formenterian cyber-cafe in the sky)!

Did mention to the stewardess on the way off that they had a window missing. She said she's inform the tech guys. Bit old, those jet2 aircraft!

Still fly with them, and comparing the cheaper airlies, I think they're the best at getting you home in a crisis/snow/ash. Probably a darned sight better than BA.

What don't you trust about them?

Well in 2008 i went to Toronto and the first flight out of Newcastle that morning was an Easyjet flight to Ireland ( i think) that was cancelled, then everytime i look at the board the Easyjet flights always seem to be cancelled or delayed, and knowing my luck, the one i'd have to get would be cancelled.....just playing the odds ha ha:D

Spoke to a mate of mine today who works in the airline industry and ryan air are in dispute with boeing at the moment, They have ordered several new 737's but they want them supplied with only one toilet and two or three more rows of seats in the space.

Spoke to a mate of mine today who works in the airline industry and ryan air are in dispute with boeing at the moment, They have ordered several new 737's but they want them supplied with only one toilet and two or three more rows of seats in the space.

Makes sense. Although I don't know why they don't just get rid of the bogs altogether, and add ryanair branded 'she-wee"s to the inflight shopping 'experience'. Wouldn't put it past them.

Ryanair have placed no orders yet for new planes. They are playing Boeing off against Airbus to try and broker a better deal.

It would be big news (both to Ryanair shareholders and Airbus) if Boeing had received any orders with or without toilets!

I was toying with the idea of flying to Ibiza with Ryanair this summer but this thread has convinced me it is not worth it. I was let down by easyjet last summer when they cancelled the flight an hour before take off. i don't want to repeat that experience so have booked with Thompson. I'll be paying less than £50 more for the extra peace of mind.

Ryanair profits hit by severe winter weather

"Ryanair reported a loss of 10.3m euros ($14m; £8.8m) in the final quarter of 2010 after strikes and bad weather forced it to cancel 3,000 flights.
However, the loss was down from the 10.9m-euro deficit the Irish budget carrier recorded the year before.
The cancellations were partly offset by a 15% rise in average fares to 34 euros, and a 20% increase in sales of items such as in-flight refreshments.
There was also an increase of 6% in passenger numbers during the period.
"This small third-quarter loss of 10 million euros is disappointing, as we were on track to break even, but earnings were hit by a series of air traffic control strikes in the third quarter, compounded by a spate of bad weather airport closures in December," said the airline's chief executive, Michael O'Leary, in the company's results statement.
He said the number of flight cancellations in the third quarter were above the 1,400 seen in the whole of the previous financial year.
The airline also saw its fuel bill for the quarter rise by 37%.
However, Mr O'Leary said the airline was on course to achieve full-year net profits in the top end of its forecast range of between 380m euros and 400m euros."

No doubt they will bounce back!

I was toying with the idea of flying to Ibiza with Ryanair this summer but this thread has convinced me it is not worth it. I was let down by easyjet last summer when they cancelled the flight an hour before take off. i don't want to repeat that experience so have booked with Thompson. I'll be paying less than £50 more for the extra peace of mind.

Definitely worth the £50 extra to get there!

LONDON (Reuters) - Consumer group Which? has asked the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to investigate credit and debit card charges consumers are forced to pay when buying flights and other services.<br />The consumer watchdog on Friday said it would launch a 'super-complaint' into card surcharges, which it says are often sprung on the customer at the point of payment and can be much higher than what it costs the retailer to process the transaction.

Which? singled out low-cost airlines, such as Ireland's Ryanair and Britain's Flybe and easyJet, who it said charge fees per passenger, per leg of a journey, even though they only have to process one transaction.

"Companies shouldn't be using card processing costs as an excuse for boosting their profits," Which? Chief Executive Peter Vicary-Smith said on Friday.

http://news.stv.tv/uk/227456-credit-card-surcharges-to-face-oft-probe/

looking to head back to uk in april as will have new niece to visit.

50 euros for a bag!!!

absolute piss take, so bad i'm laughing about. fcukers!

50 euros for a bag!!!

congratulations

and lol:lol:, ouch.

Ryanair have submitted plans to the civil viation authority about offering standing room only flights for as little as £5. Objectors cannot see how they can bypass the legal requirement of being seated for takeoff and landing!!

Would be interesting in the standing room only section when hitting a bad patch of turbulence:eek::eek:

Quite possibly another of his wheezes to try and generate free publicity like the £1 for a pee stunt!

50 euros for a bag!!!

See what the rate is for sports equipment, I used that to get around baggage weight limit.

Back