Royal Wedding

I understand the big deal in the UK and the common wealth nations. Here in the USA there are idiots with viewing parties and the coverage is doing my head in. I won't be watching cheers to people who are into. I just don't get it?:spank:

I understand the big deal in the UK and the common wealth nations. Here in the USA there are idiots with viewing parties and the coverage is doing my head in. I won't be watching cheers to people who are into. I just don't get it?:spank:

it's probably the same people who think the UK should 'take back massachusetts'

If you watch daytime tv tomorrow, you can see a program featuring a dysfunctional family of selfish, spoilt chavs, who live solely on benefits and feud with each other on a daily basis. They choose to conduct what should be their private affairs on national television and symbolize much of what is wrong with modern Britain.

Or alternatively, you could turn it over to the Jeremy Kyle Show

Yep - got that right...and isn't it great that we have this thing called choice.

If the office was open I'd be in tomorrow. I'm lucky to be able to work flexible hours and enjoy what I do so a day out is neither here nor there really.

The partners in the business are also great friends of mine - and I'm with them on this.

Days off are great but when they're granted so rich people can wack off in front of us, in times of economic crisis...as a motive to 'cheer up the nation'?

It's patronising.

...and before anyone accuses me of being miserable :)lol:) life is great! I have my own communities that come together irrespective of whether the disproportionately wealthy tell me when and where to have fun.

On another note - that video is hilarious...loving the ruck sack comment and hand gestures to back up the claim.

Can I say that when I knew that tomorrow is national bank holiday because of a wedding I found it extremly medieval?

Holidays are not medieval, Morbyd. :eek:
:lol:
True :)

(my lighthearted point was that one more bank holiday for the Brits, even if it's for this wedding, still probably leaves them with less holidays than you get in Spain. Only kidding around, Sil ;))

:lol:
True :)

(my lighthearted point was that one more bank holiday for the Brits, even if it's for this wedding, still probably leaves them with less holidays than you get in Spain. Only kidding around, Sil ;))

Brits need 7 Royal Weddings a year to have as much Bank Holidays as we have ;)

Morbyd, you are american with no royals, what's your opinion about a whole nation stopping the world because a wedding? Doesn't it sound shocking?

Morbyd, you are american with no royals, what's your opinion about a whole nation stopping the world because a wedding? Doesn't it sound shocking?
No, I don't find it shocking.

I like the diversity of traditions among nations (one of the reasons I love living abroad and traveling). Sometimes it's nice to hold on to old things, like the British monarchy. It keeps the people in touch with their history, which is all too easily forgotten.

If there is any harm in it, it's just the timing. As per the article I posted above, the combination of Easter, wedding and May Day over this 11-day period will have a negative effect on the UK economy that's larger than the expected tourism boost.

Her train in 2.7m long

The girl carrying her train has a most remarkable figure, oh boy:p

Lots of stars and stripes in the crowd, Morbyd:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back