Royal Wedding

Brits need 7 Royal Weddings a year to have as much Bank Holidays as we have ;)

Morbyd, you are american with no royals, what's your opinion about a whole nation stopping the world because a wedding? Doesn't it sound shocking?

Hi Sil (moved back to the USA from Spain) I think it is shocking to make it a national holiday. Do it on Saturday like normal people.

Well I was pretty much not botherd about the whole thing but watched some of it. Have to say it was intriguing to watch all the pomp n ceremony. My Facebook was flooded with ppl saying they cried etc which was abit much.
Biggest upset of the event?? Her sister looking better than the bride! Ouch

I thought it was lovely.

Let's face it... for all that's going wrong in the world today, indulging in a celebration of love is a nice escape for a couple of hours, even with all the pomp and ceremony.

(this from someone who generally classifies love as nothing more than a chemical reaction in the brain... getting soft in my old age, I guess)

Hi Sil (moved back to the USA from Spain) I think it is shocking to make it a national holiday. Do it on Saturday like normal people.

Exactly! :D
If you want people to join the day do it on a Saturday like everyone else, specially considering the financial situation.
The gains on tourism will not cover the lost because of the national holiday

As an Irishman and not being a Monarchist, I think the wedding was a good day for England.

The couple I felt, represented their country in style and uncomplicated elegance. I think they have done more for Englands image in one day than anybody has done in the last 100 years.

They have brought a breath of fresh air to a stuffy establishment. They seem like real people in touch with society and I wish them the best.

Hopefully the gutter press will give them space and some time to themselves and let them be a couple.

As an Irishman and not being a Monarchist, I think the wedding was a good day for England.

The couple I felt, represented their country in style and uncomplicated elegance. I think they have done more for Englands image in one day than anybody has done in the last 100 years.

They have brought a breath of fresh air to a stuffy establishment. They seem like real people in touch with society and I wish them the best.

Hopefully the gutter press will give them space and some time to themselves and let them be a couple.

A good day for the United Kingdom and not just England. God save the queen!

Fair post, Bez.

There is no escaping both the boys have wanted, and genuinely wanted to serve their country on the front line (insert conspiratorial theories here!). William has captured the hearts of many people around the world for his genuine demeanour and attitude, so many observers can't be wrong?

I watched small parts of the morning and thought Kate and who I since learned is her sister are absolute babes, (totally irrelevant but enjoyable all the same):D

Whilst the politicians have wrecked havoc on our society, the royal family have maybe restored just a smidgeon of dignity (insert philosophical diatriabe from Roberder and / or Olly!)

successfully swerved the whole lot. Did try a couple of early doors pubs in shoreditch but to our belated horror, we discovered they were genuinely celebrating the wedding with not even a whiff of irony. loads of tarquins in blazers getting stuck into the pimms. cue rapid exit

then went to a belter of a party in a carpark in a seven sisters industrial estate - 15k rig blasting out dub and hardcore rave. crusties, crackheads, strays, italians.. SL2 on a ragga tip was always an atrocious record yet sounded strangely fresh and powerful and vital on that system.

deaf and braindead until further notice

Must admit to having been a bit "meh" about the whole thing.

However, seeing it from abroad and all the fuss that comes from a nation without a "genuine" monarchy, my view has shifted slightly.

We arrived at Dubai international on Thursday and when collecting my visa, two of the Emirati officials in full kandoras thrust a copy of "gulf news" in front of me and started asking questions about Kate MIddleton and what her family background was etc. etc.

Kinda surreal but you could feel their........ well I guess admiration of the monarchy coming over in waves.

Not sure of the point I'm making, but I guess it's broadly that we are at least in the eyes of some, fortunate to have a royal family, at least in principal.

We're all looking for an identity though aren't we? So the above makes sense.

Building a brand around this (man made) concept known as the UK and putting personalities next to it makes it feel much more human.

However - I'm sick of hearing this bull$hit argument about British 'culture'.

If we're talking about the middle ages then it's interesting that the brainwashing of the Inquisition has allowed modern day Britain to forget about the Christian Crusades and cold blooded murder of anyone associated with ancient earth based practices. Like it our not - these people/traditions/cultures are also in our lineage.

Before the British monarchy there was no such thing as land ownership.

Nationalism sucks.

But on a more light hearted note...I did actually watch the wedding. :lol: :lol: :lol: (I can't believe it either.)

Really great seeing all the (slightly psychopathic) people unified in such a positive way and Wills and Kate seem like a great couple.

=> Just like any other. ;)

Ain't so such thing as social status...these people deserve no more respect than anyone else on the street.

Most of us like to be masturbated over so I get that part - but surely we should have the right to choose who, when and where and which economic background they come from? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
it was a great 'shop window' for british tradition, history, pomp and circumstance. the main reason why so many foreign tourists visit london and so few visit for the odd crackhead/italian rave in a car park.

it was a great 'shop window' for british tradition, history, pomp and circumstance. the main reason why so many foreign tourists visit london and so few visit for the odd crackhead/italian rave in a car park.

:lol:

...and a beautiful forced show of obscene wealth to mask the corruption and cultural genocide underneath.

Sadly you're right but that history, pomp and circumstance will still be part of our culture when the royals are reminded that everyone is equal and take up their rightful place in a council block in Peckham.

it's a false one-dimensional view of England. The whole happy hugh grant mary poppins skipping through the park/ posh people shtick that dominates the film export industry, the whole fairytale, the whole idea that they represent Britain, when millions died or were enslaved to build their castles (and still are). My personal weekend happened by chance rather than design, and I found aspects of it as distasteful as you would, but nevertheless I resent the fact that the underbelly, the darker corners of England, what I saw are simply airbrushed from the official narrative. Whenever I meet Americans, it's always I love the queen, i love maggie, i love monty python, I love the English accent, and it makes me just want to scream, because that just perpetuates the myth - the truth is this class/accent/wealth divide represents everything that is hateful about England, but the lemmings are too thick to understand what sheep they are.

Back