Rip

Do you know what really is disappointing

176 innocent people get shot down in a commercial aircraft this month over Iran. No one shares that around social media!?

You have a basketball player shot down and all of a sudden the trend is to share his photograph on social media
These people didn't even know who he was including me and now all of a sudden they are basketball fans!?!
Typical of people wanting to look cool by sharing the news as quick as possible to get brownie points
I mean they even disregard all the rest of the people on the helicopter.

Not impressed

176 innocent people get shot down in a commercial aircraft this month over Iran. No one shares that around social media!?

You have a basketball player shot down and all of a sudden the trend is to share his photograph on social media
These people didn't even know who he was including me and now all of a sudden they are basketball fans!?!
Typical of people wanting to look cool by sharing the news as quick as possible to get brownie points

Not impressed
Id never even heard of him either, suppose it doesn't help me not be a sports fan.

Its all over twitter, unlike this

Not impressed
Shut up. This isnt a situation that requires anyone to be impressed. What is unimpressive is your outrage at the response of others to the death of someone that they felt a connection with. The Iranian airline tragedy was widely reported and mourned all around the world. This is not a competition.

Not impressed

This was in the media everywhere here tbf

people react to celebrity deaths in different ways. I guess there is an obvious difference between the way you react to a hero you grew up with and the way you respond to a terrible disaster featuring normal people which would shock you in a totally different kind of way. I don't think they are analogous because one is mourning the individual and the other is sadness at how people died. personally I felt a lot sadder about terry jones passing last week. michael palin's reaction completely floored me - real, raw emotion.

It's because it's more relatable Rye. He's a cultural icon. Most people knew his name, even if they didn't have any interest in basketball, like me.

Look, it works in the same way as this: you might well find yourself sharing a newspiece about a murder that happens close to the area where you live. Now, there's unfortunately murders all over the place. As one example, let's say there's a murder in Glasgow. That's pretty close, comparatively. But you're not going to share it, because you don't really know Glasgow or anybody there. It doesn't mean that you think the murder in Glasgow isn't as terrible as the one on your doorstep, just the one on your doorstep is more relatable

Shut up. This isnt a situation that requires anyone to be impressed. What is unimpressive is your outrage at the response of others to the death of someone that they felt a connection with. The Iranian airline tragedy was widely reported and mourned all around the world. This is not a competition.

Shut up?? ?‍♂️
Where did I say the Iranian airline tragedy was not widely reported???? My post was not directed as the media.
I am not impressed by the people on social media trying to use someone famous death to look cool. It is pretty damn obvious. Trending equals likes

Not impressed
Exactly. Similar to same type of people who cry about Syrian refugees but hardly any mention for the Australian Bushfire crisis. Hardly any fundraising headlines about it in the UK is there? But send £5 so Abdul can get clean water and its all over the goggle box

Exactly. Similar to same type of people who cry about Syrian refugees but hardly any mention for the Australian Bushfire crisis. Hardly any fundraising headlines about it in the UK is there? But send £5 so Abdul can get clean water and its all over the goggle box

Australia is a fairly rich country & what we're seeing there is being exacerbated by the government's (and by extension the people who voted for that govt) attitude to fossil fuels. & fund-raising for Australia has been all over Facebook. I'd argue that climate change has become a bigger issue now that white people and cuddly animals are suffering..

Back