Right guys Ive just been informed I'm being made redundant...

Ryanv

..Along with every one else in my office!

I've decided as I'm only 21 and no ties a season in Ibiza would be ideal. However I have a few questions. How hard is to get the NIE and open a Spanish bank account? What do I need to take etc? And is speaking Spanish vital for doing either? Any tips/suggestions welcome.

If any of you fancy earning a quick few euro for helping me get these sorted let me know! ;)

I leave for Ibiza on the 25 June for 10 days anyway, which is all saved and sorted. If I can get all this stuff done I won't be coming back until October.

Oh and I realise there's probably loads of posts about this, but wanted sum first hand advise from the people in the know :lol:

Cheers guys!

good luck, and good to see people doing something positive after getting the big R! (namely not moping about it!) 8)

Cheers guys.

Life goes on as they say.Ive read you can go to a gestoria and they will help you out? I just need to find what and where one of these is.:confused:

Alot of people are taking the recession and making their lives better with it. Ie: They're saying "Ok I got the sack, now I'm going to take the oppertunity to do something I really love". I guess where a door slams a window opens. Good luck man. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Alot of people are taking the recession and making their lives better with it. Ie: They're saying "Ok I got the sack, now I'm going to take the oppertunity to do something I really love". I guess where a door slams a window opens. Good luck man. I'm sure you'll be fine.

That is sooo true - I have noticed loads of my mates are really starting to take control of their lives during this recession, whether it be tightening their belts generally, getting allotments (jeez how many people do I know who have got an allotment recently :lol:) and growing their own veg etc etc

From work, I have had 5 people who have gone and taken gardening leave, had a good think about what they want and have resigned, gone travelling, gone for a simpler lifestyle etc etc.

Its given people an opportunity to take stock of their lives and whats really important - its empowered people to think/do for themselves !

Ryan - Good Luck mate - I wish you all the luck in the world - 8)

Thanks alot :)

I just hope I can get more info n getting this NIE, its the only thing holding me back!

I don't think getting a NIE will be a big problem. I don't know how it works in Ibiza, but it was easy to get one in Barcelona. I had to go to a particular police station with my passport and fill out a form, then go to a bank and pay 7 euros for them to stamp it, then go back to the police station and they gave me a certificate with my NIE on it. Have you tried having a look in the 'moving to Spain' forum?

Good luck!

Hi there, go into the Living and Working Abroad forum here, there is plently of info re NIE and all the rest.

Do it, you will have a great season, learn so much and change your life in so many ways.

Good luck and enjoy ! This is an opportunity and I think it is great that you can see it that way rather than sinking into victim mode...

Cheers guys.

Life goes on as they say.Ive read you can go to a gestoria and they will help you out? I just need to find what and where one of these is.:confused:

Like most are saying, nice one, its cool to hear someone being proactive and planning on fulfilling a dream.

As for your NIE, here on the mainland you can go to a gestor, but all they'll do is charge to assist you, you will still need to go to the police station in the town where you will be staying, and then queueing for it. Best ask Grego, he'll advise better living on the island.

But I'd defo go for it, or you might regret it !!

Thanks again guys!

I've had a look, I'm just abit worried about the actual filling in of the form? My Spanish isn't all that!

Does anyone know where I can find one of these gestorias*? and what I need to take with me?

Thanks.

That's ****ty news man, but you're doing the right thing. I was made redundant not too long ago as well so I'm taking myself off to Canada for a while.
Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted from the White Isle.
J

Good for you mate. Don't sit around moping just look as a new chapter in life opening.

Millions of people worse off in the world so make the most of your life.

Good luck fella.

Good luck and have a great time in Ibiza, as far as i know you need a contract from your employer to get an NIE then go to ibiza town police station wait in a big queue and get it stamped etc.

You can either go to the police station which is close to the big McDonalds roundabout to do this. I think you have to be there very early in the morning to queue. I used to be just your passport you needed but that was a few years ago. I think now they need some indication of what you need it for.
Otherwise you can get one of the Gestoria's to do it.
There is one in Ibiza Town on about one block down and back from the Canadian coffee place on Vara del Rey. They are called Unidad and charge about 100 euros for doing it for you.

You dont need a work contract to get a NIE

you do in ibiza. the last i heard (and i stand to be corrected) you needed a note from your employer saying that you would be employed. it was a move by the overworked staff at the police station to stop people applying for the nie and then not doing anything with it. the irony of course is that you can't get a contract without an nie and a contract should have your nie number on it.

Back