Right guys Ive just been informed I'm being made redundant...

Ryan - there's still time to change!:lol:

Seriously though, is the job in IT sufficiently well paid that you will have amassed significant savings by October? If not what will the wages you've earned have been spent on? At 21, I'd guess, clubs, drinks, drugs, music? I know where I'd rather spend that time if I'm going to be in the same position anyway?

It's an office.

Surrounded by computers.

9-5, 5 days a week, indefinitely.

Is there anything more to say on the subject?

:confused: :lol:

(not that my life is hugely different at the mo - replace IT bods with creatives and the atmos isn't much different!)

GO TRAVELLING.

Capitalism is a brainwashing for the masses.

Life in IT isnt that bad - honest. yes we dont have the best reputation but we are not all "IT crowd" type people. :oops:

'Course. Some of you are even worse!:p:lol:

Seriously, he's 21, he's just been offered a job 'in IT' when it's not what he does normally. He's going to earning sweet FA in relative terms compared to what he might be earning in ten years time.

So he can spend the summer surviving here, or surviving there.

No-brainer.

when i was 21 i was faced with the decision to either
run away with a gypsy girl
forge a career in accountancy.
unfortunately i took the former and now look at me.

when i was 21 i was faced with the decision to either
run away with a gypsy girl
forge a career in accountancy.
unfortunately i took the former and now look at me.

Exactly! :lol:

I went around this cycle once in my mid 20s and I'm about to hit it again.

I worked so hard to get a great job since then and am now sitting comfortably in a perfect flat in my fave part of London...but I'm still on the rat race faced with little free time, a lack of community and lots of competitive egos.

Frankly, life doesn't have to be like this so I expect I'll be off within the year too. :D Wooo!

I'm not unhappy - more that life is short and if you don't exercise your right to go for your dreams now then you never will.

(Blame the shamanic course) ;)

Are you regretting asking now? :lol:

'Course. Some of you are even worse!:p:lol:

Seriously, he's 21, he's just been offered a job 'in IT' when it's not what he does normally. He's going to earning sweet FA in relative terms compared to what he might be earning in ten years time.

So he can spend the summer surviving here, or surviving there.

No-brainer.

Good point. At that age (cant quite remember that far back) to go travelling is a good idea. Personally i didnt have the choice and i had to get a good job and set up home quickly - and i dont regret it. I use my holiday allowance to go to far off places now with the safety that i have a regular income when i return.
I think do what you want to do as everyone is different - and have no regrets!

Any age is a good age!

Life shouldn't stop being fun at 30.

Very true but the older you get, the more responsibilities you have. That's all i am saying. Besides i hope that i haven't become an old fart and still like to think that i stretch myself and my money to keep having fun!

I can honestly say that life is more fun now im nearing 30 that it was when I was younger!

Why? because you have more disposable income so can do more? or is it because you are wiser and are picker at what you choose to do instead of doing everything and anything in the hope that you find the right thing?

What responsibilities do we have though?

Mortgage? (get rid)

Job? (is it a passion?)

Kids?

I really can't think of any more. :lol:

I intend to streamline myself as much as possible so I'm carrying less baggage than when I was 20. ;)

Why? because you have more disposable income so can do more? or is it because you are wiser and are picker at what you choose to do instead of doing everything and anything in the hope that you find the right thing?

He doesn't mean it - he's just trying to smarm up to the ol' ball and chain by saying life is better now:lol:

yes a mortgage (why would you want to get rid??) and these days where having a job seems to be the hardest thing to keep or get at the moment - you dont want to be thinking about leaving it right now - you might not have anything to come back to.
then theres all the bills that go with having a mortgage that have to be paid and the loan on a car, credit cards, etc, etc.

yes a mortgage (why would you want to get rid??) and these days where having a job seems to be the hardest thing to keep or get at the moment - you dont want to be thinking about leaving it right now - you might not have anything to come back to.
then theres all the bills that go with having a mortgage that have to be paid and the loan on a car, credit cards, etc, etc.

:lol: Sorry I didn't make any sense there.

When I took my mortgage out in the first place I made a strict promise that the moment it felt like a ball and chain I'd either rent it out or sell up.

I think it can be so easy to get carried away with material status at the expense of everything else. I'd rather be a nomad than a settler and if my home ever got in the way of this (God forbid it hasn't yet) then I'd definitely sell.

A bit of both probably, I dunno if im any wiser these days though

Id like to think I am not a material person but I am amazed at the amount of gadgets in the house and if i did have to go back to having nothing - i can honestly say i would cope but i would be dissapointed at myself for losing it all.

Back