Resistance 2019

You know really...

deadmau5-green-lasers-mask-on.jpg
Bieber

I've pretty much covered what I thought of Joel further up. I had higher hopes for his set.

Maceo really had to claw things back after that, so he opened with Conjure Balearia - his big Ibiza record from 2014 or 15? Hadn't heard it played out in a club in a while, and it sounded great to hear it on a big system again. Next up with his edit of Faithless. Not such a fan of this record, but you can see the appeal.

Across his set he played a mixture of his older go-to tracks and his newer material. I really enjoyed it, though I've seen him play better (I've also seen him play a lot worse!)

Other tracks he played:
Mutant Robotics
When the Lights Are Out (his garage edit first and later the original)
Lonely Tribe
Conjure Sex

If you are a Maceo fan - as I am - it definitely ticked the box, but it wasn't very adventurous. Though I think after Testpilot it was exactly what was needed.

Not sure exactly when, but at least for the last half hour he invited Enrico back to the booth and they ended on an unannounced B2B. At 06:25 I saw one of the Privilege guys give Maceo the nudge that "5 minutes left". In the end, it went a little longer until 06:35. The final track was Solar Detroit.

My daughter says that Vista wasn't as full as she thought it would be, and gutted that they didn't play until "sunrise"

Partly because it opens a lot later than most other parties (and also, I suspect, that by 6am they want to shepherd all bodies into the main room), Resistance has never really entertained the dawn thing in Vista. I agree though, would be magical having them two go until sunrise.

Numbers wise, it was perfect for me. Busier enough for an atmosphere but not sardines like Coxy's birthday. And I thought Vista held its own. My frame of reference is limited though. Next week I'm interested to see how HS82 & EE fare against Hawtin, Capriati & Cox.

I think its fair to say they were a little apprehensive about last night. Arguably it was their date with the least pull factor, though personally it was musically right up my alley. In the end, they put the groundwork in on the promo front and it paid off. Plus the crowd stuck around. Was still good numbers on the dance floor when it shut.

Overall, busier than a few dates I attended last summer.

Partly because it opens a lot later than most other parties (and also, I suspect, that by 6am they want to shepherd all bodies into the main room), Resistance has never really entertained the dawn thing in Vista. I agree though, would be magical having them two go until sunrise.

Numbers wise, it was perfect for me. Busier enough for an atmosphere but not sardines like Coxy's birthday. And I thought Vista held its own. My frame of reference is limited though. Next week I'm interested to see how HS82 & EE fare against Hawtin, Capriati & Cox.

I think its fair to say they were a little apprehensive about last night. Arguably it was their date with the least pull factor, though personally it was musically right up my alley. In the end, they put the groundwork in on the promo front and it paid off. Plus the crowd stuck around. Was still good numbers on the dance floor when it shut.

Overall, busier than a few dates I attended last summer.
I think this event has finally found its feet - thankfully.

Almost forgot... another track Maceo played - and the first time I've heard it out in a Ibiza club - was this:

Thought Sven might've played it at Cocoon after he played it at CITP, but nothing yet!

went to my first resistance on tuesday and had my return to privilege after many years. my last time was when elrow where at vista. love what resistance did with the place, good sound and for a drinker like me 16 euros for g&t or wodka burn is a bargain in ibiza standards. also lots of space to move around freely but enough people inside.
now I have to agree that testpilot killed the vibe (as predicted by my little rant on here) and that the crowd was a real august crowd in that many don‘t get techno and stood around clueless.
also sasha and digweed were a bit stale and rather slow, without any ups and downs for my taste. which resulted in some very boring 30-45 minutes when I found both floors lacking at the same time. became better with plex. I‘ll be returning for hawtin in september, I suggest you too :)

also sasha and digweed were a bit stale and rather slow, without any ups and downs for my taste. which resulted in some very boring 30-45 minutes when I found both floors lacking at the same time. became better with plex. I‘ll be returning for hawtin in september, I suggest you too :)

I say it often, but Digweed is SO much better without Sasha IMO.

never seem them play together and the way that they go about their b2b seemed so weird. standing 2 meters apart, each staring into his own laptop, not once communicating. looked like one of those kraftwerk live shows :)

Shame about S&D going in that direction (again) @Springal maybe it's a reflection of the venue / party ? The one time I saw them since they got back together was right at the beginning and it was really great, the dynamic was bang on. Things are bound to evolve I guess, don't think I missed anything there this week !!

@mr_why agree - (when he's on form) D alone can tear a place apart in a way you don't get when S is holding things back. I remember him doing it on Space Terrace one night a few years ago to a slightly sparse crowd and it was absolutely electric. But at the same time he could dish out a rather dry banging set lacking soul, guess everything is a product to some extent of the record box of the week.

never seem them play together and the way that they go about their b2b seemed so weird. standing 2 meters apart, each staring into his own laptop, not once communicating. looked like one of those kraftwerk live shows :)

Their reunion played behind a sheer curtain actually worked out great for me !

Back