Religion....

I don't have to defend my comments as being anti anything, but on the other hand I don't use statements to paint groups with a broad brush.

So dont call me a racist when A. I am not and B. you have no proof :rolleyes:
And for the record all organised religion is bull :D

Interstingly enough banksy has just released a work against the abuse of the catholic church.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16184773

Anthea Jarvis, an art expert at Liverpool's Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral, said: "I don't find the work of art at all offensive, but I do find that statement offensive.
"Lies and corruption are not exclusive to the church, they're exclusive to mankind generally I'm afraid.
"But I think the comment about the bishops of the Catholic Church who have covered up abuse, that is criticism which the Church has to take and learn from and move on, and I think it will."

cardinal.jpg

s-RICHARD-DAWKINS-BIBLE-large.jpg

Richard Dawkins has challenged David Cameron's assertion that the UK needs to return to Christian ideals, calling the Bible “an appalling moral compass”.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...-moral-compass_n_1155246.html?ref=mostpopular

This ^^

Dawkins is a f-ing ledge. He talks 100% sense, and if everybody in the World shared his view, or at least took on his points, then the World would be a far nicer place.

I recommend his book 'The God Delusion'

I challenge anybody religious to read it, and then still be able to find a valid argument to protest the existence of a god/s.

He literally rips religion to shreds.

Religion is dangerous; it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think they do

Religion is dangerous; it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think they do

Agreed. And let's be quite honest, not having all the answers is part of the variety of life 8)

The Catholic Churches outrage at Gay marriage just startles me.

Doesn't startle me at all.

Catholicism is inherently evil. It's history (inc the Inquisition) remains shrouded in secret.

It's the most ridiculous, absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.

Catholicism is absurd.

The majority of doctrines that they preach are not only falsified, but many were made-up a mere 1,000 - 1,500 years ago.

The 'Ascension of Mary' is one such example. It is quite a abomination of a religion, which severely lacks class and is increasing alienating itself from modern life.

That pontiff idiot they have in charge now is a bitter, old man with no wish to integrate his religion into the 21st. Century. They whole movement is in danger of not only being left behind, but becoming a laughing stock.

Catholicism is inherently evil. It's history (inc the Inquisition) remains shrouded in secret.

It's the most ridiculous, absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.

just to put a cherry on top......I will send you a Papal Flag to burn

I'm no fan of the Catholic Church and its paedophilic priests or shameful past, but the Aztecs had a few questionable practices of their own :!:

The Catholic Church here in Ireland is full of old priests and old people. My generation would be the first to really turn away from it due to the Paedophile scandal and subsequent cover up which was the real nail in its coffin. Our education system is controlled by the Catholic Church so as children, we are indoctrinated with Catholic dogma from an age of 4.

There are changes afoot to take away the schools from the Catholic church and run them by the state...but thats taking time and some dont agree with it.

The religion is outdated and not in touch with its people. It cant get enough priests to join anymore and its views on women and other issues makes it even more isolated in modern society. Our new government has closed its embassy in the Vatican much to the disgust and insult of Rome.

Unless its changes very quickly its will die out within a generation or two. There are good people in the Catholic church so its important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Its a delicate issue so it will take time................

As someone who was raised Catholic I have a pretty good insight into what it's like as a doctrine and value system.

I think generally Catholicism does create people with a good degree of determination, perseverance and a solid moral compass. But, and it's a big but, Catholics are ruled by a sense of shame, guilt and self-loathing. And that's where it inhibits and controls people. It's a negative doctrine about imperfection, sin and fault and where blind faith is the only acknowledged positive human trait. It focuses on failure which, from a personal development and fulfillment perspective is utterly insipid.

It's antiquated as an institution now because the old social structures of Europe have been replaced by ones that promote free thinking and individualism. The idea that you live and work as a humble and poor 'worm' fully aware of how sinful and undeserving you are in the hope that you will be rewarded after death with eternal bliss sounds utterly absurd to a modernized, enlightened society. It does however fit very nicely into the world view of a serf or a peasant from an intellectually poorer century and justifies outright hardship. As a I say, this world view may promote hard work or determination - it does not promote creative and mental development. In a sense, our society today generates less hardship to justify the idea that life should be by design an exercise in 'pain for reward'.

My own academic education has developed a pretty philosophical and humanist approach to life. There is an element of spiritualism there too but it's more a spiritualism based on nature and abstracts rather than metaphysics. I don't even class myself as an atheist. A lot of that Catholic self-loathing has been replaced by a more openminded philosophical doubt. But some of that shame always remains as a Catholic. You do a lot of beating yourself about things you say or do to people - even over little things. Some things never leave you. Dara O'Briain talks about never being able to renounce your Catholicism in his standup. "You can cut up your membership card in front of the Pope - you're still a Catholic." :lol: **** sticks.

Such is the progress of history, it will die as an institution eventually. Maybe sooner than we think let me tell you now. That will have positive and negative impacts on society because the question is what value system will replace it. Amongst the less intelligent of us it will create a moral void where there is no introspective reflection on action and character. New testament Christianity, at it's core, is afterall one of the best moral systems ever devised. Where it has been corrupted is through the instiutionalised perversion of it to control via shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christianity, at it's core, is afterall one of the best moral systems ever devised.

Fu(k moral templates. I sure as hell don't need one.

I prefer the Crowley's take on things, "do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

It's only through claiming your power and looking deeply at your own connection to all things that you can be authentic.

...and people that are truly in touch with themselves no longer need gurus, doctrines or bibles.

Long live peaceful anarchy.

Back