Religion....

hello buckley .
anybody at home ??
you must be living on another planet or even in another dimension :twisted:
Don't be daft, Icey.
Re-read what he said. It makes perfect sense.
Sure, maybe some people use the race card to get out of certain situations, but it's not something that usually lets you get away with violent crime.
Hell, where I come from, being a minority usually gets you more jail time than not!

White and non-white people get away with racism every day, but people getting away with serious violent crime by playing the 'race card' is not 'typical'.
OK then, where did they play a race card? You'll have to point that one out. They said their religion doesnt allow them to drink, and they were drunk so acted stupidly. The reason they got away with being racist is because we cant upset these muslims who want to be British or asian depending on which situation serves them best at the time. Bradford is full of black people who hate white and asian, asian who hate white and black and white who hate black and asian :lol: I was up there a few years ago when a load of forest lads gotf attacked by asians for being white nothing to do with football, police came and told the asians to go away as it was more trouble then its worth for them to do their job. The tv documentary a few years ago showed the hatred in much more depth and it hasnt improved in the times I have been up there. I have seen with my own eyes asians get away with all sorts due to the police not having a back bone so forgive me if I find it typical, like I said it must be a nice world you live in :rolleyes:

Well, I was brought up religious, had to go to Sunday School when I was a kid, but am no longer religious at all!!!

Unfortunately I live in quite a conservative, non-progressive province and religion is still too involved in schools.

Here is something that I find absolutely outrageous that is happening in 2011!! This is my own personal beef at the moment, so will probably be boring for most of you! :lol:

The city I live in and the area around was settled by French Catholics. So, most of the schools were originally Catholic schools... NOT private, but publically funded Catholic schools. Now, the majority of people are not Catholic, but there are still a lot of ( about half) of Catholic Schools.

Edmonton and surrounding cities and suburbs all have their own school boards. So there are public schools and Catholic schools.... but essentially, the Catholic schools are public too; they get the same amount of funding. So there is an Edmonton Public, Edmonton Catholic, St. Albert Catholic, St. Albert Catholic, St. Albert Public, Sherwood Park Catholic, Sherwood Park Public etc etc.... Probably about 11 different boards with the city and area. Then more throughout the province ( each area having public and Catholic board)

If you are NOT Catholic and don't have a letter from a priest saying you were baptised in a Catholic church, then you can't apply to work for a Catholic board. Now, there are plenty of students who are of other faiths or non-faiths who attend Catholic schools, but you can't apply as a non-Catholic teacher.

Of course, public schools don't ask and can't ask for your religion, so essentialy, if you are Catholic, you have double the job opportunites!!

I don't want to work in a religious school, but when it takes up half ( no kidding) the schools, then how is this fair? Especially when they are publicly funded!!

There are a few other schools, Orthodox Jewish/Muslim schools, but interesting thing is, they will accept anyone of any faith to work there, you just have to agree that you are teaching in a religious school.

If there were only a few Catholic schools, then that would be fine, but they take up half the schools.

A Catholic person can apply for any school, whereas someone who is non-Catholic can apply for half of them.

I think public (I know this has a diffferent meaning in Canada than in the UK) schools should be completely secular.

The worst thing is, now some of these "secular" schools have what they call LOGOS streams, which are Christian streams within a public system. So even when you are looking for jobs within the public system you see these LOGOs jobs so one grade 1 class might be regular, the other Grade 1 class might be 'Christian'.

There are a lot of people upset over this and some even saying that it's a human rights issue; essentially they are discriminating against people of a certain religion. But since the Catholic boards are so huge and it only really affects non-religious teachers like myself, no one really cares. There have been a few people who speak out against it, but I doubt anything will ever happen.

Funny thing is, friends of mine who are Catholic, some of them haven't been back in a church since they wer baptised and have said there isn't much religion in their class anyway. One of my friends who is a teacher in a Catholic school says all she has to do is make sure there is a bible on the bookshelf so if a students needs it, it's there. Other than that, no God talk or anything.

These Catholic schools aren't private... they are all public!!

Ridiculous!!!

Edit: I realise I went way off course to what everyone else in the thread was talkling about!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, people who want to practice their religion should do so in their designated religious building. The state shouldn't be sponsoring religious schools (never mind stopping some kids from applying for some schools), although I do wonder what it would be like if kids were exposed to a bit of Buddhist philosophy at assembly. 8)

I'm also trying to divorce the church (was baptised - eurgh).

It's worse than Scientology imo as it's mobilised, hurt and killed far more people.

Only problem is the amount of hoops you have to jump through.

OK then, where did they play a race card? You'll have to point that one out. They said their religion doesnt allow them to drink, and they were drunk so acted stupidly. The reason they got away with being racist is because we cant upset these muslims who want to be British or asian depending on which situation serves them best at the time. Bradford is full of black people who hate white and asian, asian who hate white and black and white who hate black and asian :lol: I was up there a few years ago when a load of forest lads gotf attacked by asians for being white nothing to do with football, police came and told the asians to go away as it was more trouble then its worth for them to do their job. The tv documentary a few years ago showed the hatred in much more depth and it hasnt improved in the times I have been up there. I have seen with my own eyes asians get away with all sorts due to the police not having a back bone so forgive me if I find it typical, like I said it must be a nice world you live in :rolleyes:

Some shocking statistics were released a few years ago that basically said that black people were 26 times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people. This doesn't quite add up with your 'perception' of the facts.

Some shocking statistics were released a few years ago that basically said that black people were 26 times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people. This doesn't quite add up with your 'perception' of the facts.
I never mentioned anything about black people getting stopped? I'm not getting into a race argument ffs maybe they commit more crime I don't know what statistics you're on about so can't really comment :rolleyes: I was talking about my experience statistics don't normally tell a whole story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc8YaVQwPMU&sns=fb

Another terrible example of a human being. So funny when she gets thrown off the bus though and when she lunges out with a kick and falls on her arse :lol:

I'm also trying to divorce the church (was baptised - eurgh).

It's worse than Scientology imo as it's mobilised, hurt and killed far more people.

Only problem is the amount of hoops you have to jump through.
Do you really have to divorce it? I was baptised, and dont care a bit for any religion its all bollocks imo but if you are not winding me up then thats very sad. How can I divorce something I never cared for? :D

I never mentioned anything about black people getting stopped? I'm not getting into a race argument ffs maybe they commit more crime I don't know what statistics you're on about so can't really comment :rolleyes: I was talking about my experience statistics don't normally tell a whole story.

:

Your right statistics don't tell a whole story but neither does just your experience

Do you really have to divorce it? I was baptised, and dont care a bit for any religion its all bollocks imo but if you are not winding me up then thats very sad. How can I divorce something I never cared for? :D

My name is listed under the church.

The church only exists because people give it energy and money.

By being listed I'm part of their machine...getting rid would be such a cleansing (almost ritualistic) rite of passage for a heathen like me. :lol:

Your right statistics don't tell a whole story but neither does just your experience
True, but I still find it maddening that we let "minorities" get away with stuff our own get punished for no matter what colour or religion they are. Punishment should be the same for all and dealt with properly.

How do I divorce from the church then? I dint know I was on any list? :)

True, but I still find it maddening that we let "minorities" get away with stuff our own get punished for no matter what colour or religion they are. Punishment should be the same for all and dealt with properly.

What do you refer to as "our own" in this case? And who do you consider a "minority"?:confused:

What do you refer to as "our own" in this case? And who do you consider a "minority"?:confused:
I mean the white british people of this country who else? Why are you picking up **** on my posts? :rolleyes: Troll, and seeing we outweight any other colour or creed in this country that was what I was getting at ok with you? Nothing racist there maybe I could of worded it better. I am only english from birth my dad is from dublin and my mum edinburgh so I have no right to call any one in this country "our own" other then the fact I was born here :)

I mean the white british people of this country who else? Why are you picking up **** on my posts? :rolleyes: Troll, and seeing we outweight any other colour or creed in this country that was what I was getting at ok with you? Nothing racist there maybe I could of worded it better. I am only english from birth my dad is from dublin and my mum edinburgh so I have no right to call any one in this country "our own" other then the fact I was born here :)

What about other people who were born there. Your posts have the same tilt, if you always have to defend your post as non-racist you may want to have look in the mirror. If it look like a duck and quacks like a duck.......

What about other people who were born there. Your posts have the same tilt, if you always have to defend your post as non-racist you may want to have look in the mirror. If it look like a duck and quacks like a duck.......

Explain one thing I have said that is racist ? :confused:

So non white people in UK don't get away with racism? What planet do you live on? You ever been to Bradford or Leicester? Or seen the videos(not tabloid press) of the muslims chanting against white people and christians etc? Must be a pretty place in your world :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc8YaVQwPMU&sns=fb

Another terrible example of a human being. So funny when she gets thrown off the bus though and when she lunges out with a kick and falls on her arse :lol:

How do I divorce from the church then? I dint know I was on any list? :)

You make the case.

So you cant actually quote one racist remark then. What exactly is your problem? Because I am not a middle class yuppie who cant see certain things before my eyes I am a racist? :lol:
Come on show me exactly where I have been racist, I have an opinion, I also have black friends(non english fyi) and Indian neighbours who I get on fine with. Never once had any problems. They have had a different way of being brought up and I get that, there is also A LOT of white english scrotes who wind me up more and get away with more. I am not a racist but please feel free to prove me wrong.

So you cant actually quote one racist remark then. What exactly is your problem? Because I am not a middle class yuppie who cant see certain things before my eyes I am a racist? :lol:
Come on show me exactly where I have been racist, I have an opinion, I also have black friends(non english fyi) and Indian neighbours who I get on fine with. Never once had any problems. They have had a different way of being brought up and I get that, there is also A LOT of white english scrotes who wind me up more and get away with more. I am not a racist but please feel free to prove me wrong.

I don't have to defend my comments as being anti anything, but on the other hand I don't use statements to paint groups with a broad brush.

I don't have to defend my comments as being anti anything, but on the other hand I don't use statements to paint groups with a broad brush.

To be fair to Olski, the nature of race relations and integration of ethnic minorities may differ in the UK to the US. I think it generally is accepted in the UK that there are some racist incidents against whites.

Back