Politics Discussion (& Gossip)

One thing that is being missed here is the power of social media. Nowadays big brand DJs are as much Comms teams and PR departments as they are people spinning tunes. The point is you can instantly reach millions with your every post. Usually they have zilch to do with music and everything to do with ‘profile’.

Now had she never made any comment ever, then I might agree with Springal. I’d think this is someone who wants nothing to do with anything outside clubland. Fine. But the point is she has form and she did stick her oar in. She therefore politicised her DJ fame whether she likes it or not.

You can’t have it both ways. If you go down the social media route it comes with responsibility.

We have a lot of political comments across various threads. We are all for free speech and debate, but lets have a forum for this as opposed to politics in all the other threads...

I dont agree with her views and personally wouldent go see her, but if we were to assess every act on their views and which politicans theyve had photos with etc then we'd have a lot of blacklisted acts.
Exactly, some absolute virtue signalling bollocks being posted on here. Of course those replying have always been angels. Standard since forums began.

Exactly, some absolute virtue signalling bollocks being posted on here. Of course those replying have always been angels. Standard since forums began.

As soon as you take a moral stance on something, some people will try to label you a virtue signaller or a hypocrite. There are a lot of "artists", whether it be musicians, writers or filmmakers, I like that have probably got up to some bad ****. If you're already a fan of someone, it can be easy to overlook their faults. With regards to Nina Kraviz, I actually don't know that much about her (think I saw a bit of a set once), so easy for me to stay away. Her apparent stance on Putin wouldn't exactly draw me to check her out now.

The Putin thing isn't just about Ukraine, but also about his attitude to women and LGBT folk (pertinent, as LGBT folk have been a big part of the club scene historically). Consider Pussy Riot, their protests and the punishments dished out to them. It's an interesting one, art meets politics, and protests/boycotts. I could be called a hypocrite, but I do have an admiration for people who take a moral stance.

As soon as you take a moral stance on something, some people will try to label you a virtue signaller or a hypocrite. There are a lot of "artists", whether it be musicians, writers or filmmakers, I like that have probably got up to some bad ****. If you're already a fan of someone, it can be easy to overlook their faults. With regards to Nina Kraviz, I actually don't know that much about her (think I saw a bit of a set once), so easy for me to stay away. Her apparent stance on Putin wouldn't exactly draw me to check her out now.

The Putin thing isn't just about Ukraine, but also about his attitude to women and LGBT folk (pertinent, as LGBT folk have been a big part of the club scene historically). Consider Pussy Riot, their protests and the punishments dished out to them. It's an interesting one, art meets politics, and protests/boycotts. I could be called a hypocrite, but I do have an admiration for people who take a moral stance.

In what way are you a hypocrite? Or me?

This argument "well X is a known sex pest but you'd still pay to see him" is bollox. Aside from being untrue this is also on a whole other scale.

The key point about Russian influencers with massive reach is that they are all potential propaganda tools. It's often subtle and subliminal.

Because what happens is that your PR team pressure you to make a statement but you can't say what you really think, so you feed the world a load of equidistant horse manure which looks profound, says nada, and does nothing to scare off the business techno parties who need your brand to run smoothly.

it's cynical, it stinks, and the punters/followers who support them are equally complicit.

In what way are you a hypocrite? Or me?

This argument "well X is a known sex pest but you'd still pay to see him" is bollox. Aside from being untrue this is also on a whole other scale.

The key point about Russian influencers with massive reach is that they are all potential propaganda tools. It's often subtle and subliminal.

Because what happens is that your PR team pressure you to make a statement but you can't say what you really think, so you feed the world a load of equidistant horse manure which looks profound, says nada, and does nothing to scare off the business techno parties who need your brand to run smoothly.

it's cynical, it stinks, and the punters/followers who support them are equally complicit.

I can only speak for myself... I get a bit of stick for occasionally listening to Joe Rogan's podcast (if he has a psychedelic guest on), despite Rogan spreading anti-vax conspiraloon stuff and giving a platform to US right wing types. Not sure how I entitled I am to get outraged over people dancing to Nina Kraviz. :spank::lol:

I can only speak for myself... I get a bit of stick for occasionally listening to Joe Rogan's podcast (if he has a psychedelic guest on), despite Rogan spreading anti-vax conspiraloon stuff and giving a platform to US right wing types. Not sure how I entitled I am to get outraged over people dancing to Nina Kraviz. :spank::lol:
Rogan is a weird one for me- he has form for being somewhat of a nutjob on occasions, but he does have some really interesting, unusual guests on who he just lets talk about their field of expertise as well as asking pretty insightful questions.

Not sure how I entitled I am to get outraged over people dancing to Nina Kraviz. :spank::lol:

I'm not sure you fully understand the issue here. This isn't about her as a DJ, it's about her as a sly apologist, using her fame to distract attention from Putin. How many times do I have to repeat this?!

Ditto.

I'm not sure anyone is sneering. I'm certainly not. It sounds like you might be more entitled to take the moral high ground than I am. To add (since I brought him up), I think Rogan is probably a more "dangerous" figure than Nina Kraviz in that he has way more "political" influence. I've seen people re-post clips from his anti-vax guests on Facebook. Dancing to Nina Kraviz is IMO somewhat tasteless, but I'm not sure she's trying to persuade European clubbers to take Putin's side. I'm guessing she'd exchange keeping her mouth shut in the past for an easier ride now.

Im still not sure what Nina Kraviz has publicly done except be Russian.

Compare that to the countless DJs and acts supporting Corbyn who led the opposition at a time when the EHCR found them not to deal / turn a blind eye to antisemitism?

Back