Plans for a “NEW” San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the UK heatwave affect San Antonio this summer? My flight this time was only 2/3 full. I also noticed a big change in the demographics of San Antonio. Mostly Germans and Italians now. Even my regular breakfast charm - 'Fatso's British cafe' was packed with Germans last week. I actually felt out of place speaking English there! I noticed the euro exchange rate is pretty bad. Did the poor exhange rate and UK heatwave play a major role in the demographics in San An this summer?

oh I agree Horrified Onlooker that some things never change (I saw it all first hand in 87!) shitty holidaymakers, tabloid outrage etc

but Spain is changing - psychologically and economically - and the old costa cliches are becoming a massive nuisance in the bid to go upmarket. I don't pretend to have the solutions. I personally would turn all the ageing resorts into socially-minded enterprise zones, reducing tourism massively whilst encouraging local artisans, creatives, artists, unemployed, training workshops to fill the spaces. obv pigs will fly first.
Ayia Napa had the same problems around the turn of the millenium at the height of the U.K. Garage scene. They just stopped it dead through zero tolerance, closing down problem businesses etc. Think it’s a prosperous family holiday place now. There’s nothing to stop a similar approach in San Antonio, but let’s face it - nobody wants to stop Ibiza’s party image, especially the big club owners.

I also noticed a big change in the demographics of San Antonio. Mostly Germans and Italians now. Even my regular breakfast charm - 'Fatso's British cafe' was packed with Germans last week. I actually felt out of place speaking English there!

Overwhelmingly Brits and Irish when I'm there (which is weekly, I'm ashamed to say... though in my defence, I do live above it) Your visit sounds like an anomaly.

In answer to your question, both of those factors have played a role.

but let’s face it - nobody wants to stop Ibiza’s party image, especially the big club owners.

Not club owners - but my sense is that there are quite a few important people involved with the Island who would like to stop, or at least significantly reduce, the party image of Ibiza

Well... Not only important people ..
A lot of ibicencos think the same...
Just have a look at what the citizens platform Prou is doing on FB ..

Did the UK heatwave affect San Antonio this summer? My flight this time was only 2/3 full. I also noticed a big change in the demographics of San Antonio. Mostly Germans and Italians now. Even my regular breakfast charm - 'Fatso's British cafe' was packed with Germans last week. I actually felt out of place speaking English there! I noticed the euro exchange rate is pretty bad. Did the poor exhange rate and UK heatwave play a major role in the demographics in San An this summer?

definitely a factor yeah. not just the UK but also germany, switzerland and a lot of other european countries have been having record summers. plus don‘t forget we always feel it when there‘s footie WC which was just before the heatwave started too

so someone was murdered in ibiza? :confused:

Anwaar Lahrichi Greenwood was found dead on Saturday 5/8/18 he was found in the Marina in San Antonio we are offering £5000 for any information that may lead to a conviction we as his family are desperate to find out what happens to our Boy please help us get justice
1f64f.png

God Bless u all thank you
2764.png
❤️
1f64f.png

#justiceforanwaar
Pls
Share on Twitter and all social platform
#justiceforanwaar

ps:sorry to kill the vibes

After another week in San An, i'm still thinking more Policing is badly needed.

Last night there seemed to be more prozzies than ever on the Westend, they are not hard to spot and they looked more interested in pick pocketing than their 'profession' but no Police anywhere all night. They are just allowed to hassle tourists with no fear of arrest or even just being moved on.

A clampdown on petty crime would instantly lift the area up and is badly needed before the area even thinks about trying to lure more upmarket tourists in.

Last night there seemed to be more prozzies than ever on the Westend, they are not hard to spot and they looked more interested in pick pocketing than their 'profession' but no Police anywhere all night. They are just allowed to hassle tourists with no fear of arrest or even just being moved on.

A clampdown on petty crime would instantly lift the area up and is badly needed before the area even thinks about trying to lure more upmarket tourists in.
The 'Prozzies' were straight in my mates' pocket when he was sitting around the fountain, luckily as he was really drunk I had taken everything and put it in my pickpocket proof place, coincidently a pickpocket came along and asked for a light and his lighter had suddenly changed from the bottom of the pocket that had all of his stuff in to hanging out of the other one :rolleyes:, luckily he couldn't get to the phones and money though.

so someone was murdered in ibiza? :confused:

Anwaar Lahrichi Greenwood was found dead on Saturday 5/8/18 he was found in the Marina in San Antonio we are offering £5000 for any information that may lead to a conviction we as his family are desperate to find out what happens to our Boy please help us get justice
1f64f.png

God Bless u all thank you
2764.png
❤️
1f64f.png

#justiceforanwaar
Pls
Share on Twitter and all social platform
#justiceforanwaar

ps:sorry to kill the vibes

Far too many deaths this year. Heartbreaking that people go on holiday and don’t return home

The 'Prozzies' were straight in my mates' pocket when he was sitting around the fountain, luckily as he was really drunk I had taken everything and put it in my pickpocket proof place, coincidently a pickpocket came along and asked for a light and his lighter had suddenly changed from the bottom of the pocket that had all of his stuff in to hanging out of the other one :rolleyes:, luckily he couldn't get to the phones and money though.
Things like this is what the police should be concentrating on. Only trouble I have really ever had in san an, (apart from a local attacking me with a fake sword) has been from these people....

I really liked it a few years back when the boozers were open till 6 and there was loads of tables and chairs outside all the way down the main West End Street, was a great atmosphere.

What exactly was the problem with that?

They are making the area duller than a wet weekend in Blackpool now.

Just got back last week and the 0300 closure is a terrible idea. Everyone is well in the flow of the night at 3, and it just seams stupid for everything to stop at that time. Everyone just carried on anyway, either on the beach or just hung around the streets etc.

Well played San An big wigs, I can see them complaining in a few years time that ‘people just don’t come here anymore, it’s so quiet, we are losing money, we can’t understand it’

I really liked it a few years back when the boozers were open till 6 and there was loads of tables and chairs outside all the way down the main West End Street, was a great atmosphere.

Just got back last week and the 0300 closure is a terrible idea. Everyone is well in the flow of the night at 3, and it just seams stupid for everything to stop at that time. Everyone just carried on anyway, either on the beach or just hung around the streets etc.

Well played San An big wigs, I can see them complaining in a few years time that ‘people just don’t come here anymore, it’s so quiet, we are losing money, we can’t understand it’

I think the initial idea was to cut those last 3 hours of drinking...

Some people are living in the area...

Some people are living in the area...

The 3am closure isn't working for anybody. As others have said drinkers are just heading to the beach or congregating on side streets, which means less control over the noise and litter than before.

I can see the benefit of the 'inside at Midnight' rule and the soundproofing of the bars for the residents, but I think a return to 5am closures needs to be considered.

I also don't understand how the Plastik - Linekers strip is unaffected by the rules, surely if they want a clampdown applying the rules to the full resort would be better?

Have to agree with this.

I imagine the local plod are having a bit of a headache after 3am this season.

Previously everyone is pretty much contained in one area until around 5-6am. Easier to police and control and when closing time comes around, most people head back to the hotels etc.

What I saw this year was people spread all over the place after 3 am. I imagine the police have the same manning numbers, or possibly less, and are struggling to dominate the areas with any sort of presence.

Maybe I'm incorrect, its just my perspective, but it seams like the authorities have given themselves extra problems which they haven't mitigated for in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back