Plans for a “NEW” San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a very interesting article which really does sum up the difficulty of the whole situation. The towns business' need the tourism to survive yet it's the type of tourist that is the problem.

How can you change the perception of a town to let people know that this sort of behaviour is not welcome/tolerated?

Unfortunately I think the real solutions will put others out of business.

I think the key thing now is the brexit impact. Brits are going to get poorer, esp w-class Brits & i think it could have a big impact on both the tourist & expat mkts. There’s no point the authorities rebranding until the dust settles - even though there is a sense of urgency because PR-wise this year has been an absolute stinker.

I think the key thing now is the brexit impact. Brits are going to get poorer, esp w-class Brits & i think it could have a big impact on both the tourist & expat mkts. There’s no point the authorities rebranding until the dust settles - even though there is a sense of urgency because PR-wise this year has been an absolute stinker.

In that sense I think people will still come but for shorter visits. Maybe just 4 full on days or something. T

What is their plan in terms of rebranding?

Maybe a high drinks tax like in the clubs could be the answer. Not to make the drinks ridiculous but enough to deter people from using the west end as place where they can get blotto. That with added security/police as well as cleaning the streets of the crime could only be a good thing.
Not much cheap drinks to be had in Playa den bossa but it still turned into a shit hole. I think it's more the type of people coming to the island that's a problem.

On a related note. Are there any plans to repair the decking on the pier / promenade in San Antonio? I took these photos last week. I had to watch where I put my feet. People were tripping up on the raised planks and screws sticking out. Does it receive regular maintainance or does someone need to report it?

planks9.png

planks6.png

planks7.png

planks5.png

planks3.png

planks4.png

planks2.png

Are there any plans to repair the promenade in San Antonio?

I spent half an hour trying to tighten the screws, but I didn't want anyone to think I was vandalising it, especially with security guards nearby. One of my first jobs was working in health and safety and when ever I see a potential hazard I get the crazy urge to do something about it, even at my own expense. I noticed a much greater presence of security forces in San An this summer. Not sure why.

Also noticed two large spaces near burger king. Did they demolish several buildings?

building1a.png

building2a.png

I think one of them used to be a shop that sold vintage toys and gadgets.

Last edited:
ignore him Aaron. he's what you might call the 24/7 forum troll..

you never know, those plank photos could come in useful in any litigation/injury dispute. someone I know was badly hurt after a fall on an uneven surface at vienna airport last year but couldn't provide pictures to support her claim, which is ridiculous

Not much cheap drinks to be had in Playa den bossa but it still turned into a shit hole. I think it's more the type of people coming to the island that's a problem.

This! Was in Bossa last night and its full of dealers, hookers and whatever else these days. Yet you never see a 'plans for a new Bossa' type thread. Both resorts have their problems but only San An seems to get the negative press and the clampdowns.

Can't beat some nuttin n boltin on holidays... were you traveling alone by any chance?

Yes and no. My mates flew in a week before I did for the BBC radio gig in San An. I only managed to book time off work for the week after. So we met up for 2 days before they left and I stayed in San An. Was my 6th holiday to Ibiza so I was taking it nice and easy this year especially as we had heavy rain and thunder on the first day and again on the last day. Also my sunglasses broke inside my luggage, so I spent much of the holiday observing everything for the first time with the naked eye and noticed much more detail around the island. Surprising what you see without your glasses. Although I repaired them in time for the sunset. :cool:

You may be right. But the whole Ibiza thing’s hardly grounded on economic reality. Look at all the people on River Island wages posing on their day beds with massively overpriced bottles of vodka down Ocean Beach for the Insta. The pound’s already on its arse too (though doubt it’s properly priced in a hard Brexit).

I’m not massively convinced that this year’s been that much worse than normal. Every year there’s deaths from balconing, overdoses etc. In that Paul Richardson book I mentioned up the thread, a policeman got his ear bitten off in 1989...Even when I first went in the early ‘90s you’d always give the West End the swerve on the way to CDM.

Last edited:
oh I agree Horrified Onlooker that some things never change (I saw it all first hand in 87!) shitty holidaymakers, tabloid outrage etc

but Spain is changing - psychologically and economically - and the old costa cliches are becoming a massive nuisance in the bid to go upmarket. I don't pretend to have the solutions. I personally would turn all the ageing resorts into socially-minded enterprise zones, reducing tourism massively whilst encouraging local artisans, creatives, artists, unemployed, training workshops to fill the spaces. obv pigs will fly first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back