Overcrowding

+1. Too many times found myself stuck in the crowd and barely being able to move. Thinking "surely the world's top clubs have some some super efficient evacuation plan, just in case". And then I look around.... :eek:

+1. Too many times found myself stuck in the crowd and barely being able to move. Thinking "surely the world's top clubs have some some super efficient evacuation plan, just in case". And then I look around.... :eek:

The Main room / terrace split at Amnesia trying to get in and out will be a killer one day.

I agree with the last few posts. If things aren't sorted out then it's only a matter of time before there is a tragedy.

I went to Amnesia closing a couple years ago and I've never experienced over crowding like it. We spent an hour getting from one side of the dance floor to the other and then ended up spending 2 hours by the cloakroom waiting for it to quiet down a tiny bit and then just gave up and went home. I go to football games all the time and Notting Hill Carnival every year and am used to being crushed a bit but nothing compared to Amnesia.

Agreed. Something needs to be done with that.

I went to Amnesia closing a couple years ago and I've never experienced over crowding like it. We spent an hour getting from one side of the dance floor to the other and then ended up spending 2 hours by the cloakroom waiting for it to quiet down a tiny bit and then just gave up and went home. I go to football games all the time and Notting Hill Carnival every year and am used to being crushed a bit but nothing compared to Amnesia.

Went Cream Opening Party in 2009, horrible packed!
I needed some air/a break and saw all sorts on the way out - people passed out etc, and not being able move at all.
Death trap that place is.

Went Cream Opening Party in 2009, horrible packed!
I needed some air/a break and saw all sorts on the way out - people passed out etc, and not being able move at all.
Death trap that place is.

It's a shame because it's actually my favourite club on the island...When i have a good night there, its so much fun, its just that one night when it was so obviously overcrowded.

It always amazes me that the police/government could be so uptight on things like licensing hours and so slack on capacity numbers

Amnesia was rammed all the times I went last season, I expect more of the same this year.

the worst i've experienced amnesia in terms of overcrowding were cocoon from 2008-2010 in general and amnesia closing 2009-2011. last year honestly wasn't too bad in my opinion.

that said, also pacha gets ridiculously rammed at times. as does dc10. as does space main room sometimes (coxy mainly). as does ushuaïa. so stop moaning about amnesia, the vast majority of the clubs on the island get totally packed sometimes and the more you experience it, the less it bothers you (in my case at least).

Personally I'm not a fan of a club being at capacity. Good for business. Not so good if you can't throw shapes on the dance floor ;)

Same here Ikoda, but it comes with the scene (and can be enjoyable). Though DC-10 can sometimes be far too much in that main room, I gave up hehe :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'm not a fan of a club being at capacity. Good for business. Not so good if you can't throw shapes on the dance floor ;)

yeah i see and sort of agree. thing is, in ibiza i've always experienced it the same way - the most popular parties always have been rammed.

Some clubs go too far in the UK. Ministry of Sound is one such example. Top 100 party last year, the entire club (1600 people) were crammed in to the box, which can only hold 1100. Ended up going for a smoke for nearly an hour to let the people who had come just so they could say they'd seen Armin. By time we came back, it'd cleared enough that you could dance again.

I'm going this year in June after Sonar. Hoping it's less crowded than the last 2 times I went (August and for the closing parties).

DC10 was ruined for me due to overcrowding at the closing party. I want to give it another shot though.

I wasn't going to contribute to this as its wet and raining in London and I want to think of happy pre-2013 season things as opposed to moaning about overcrowding.... but will give my two cents now...

the worst i've experienced amnesia in terms of overcrowding were cocoon from 2008-2010 in general

That was crazy crazy back then (brilliant nights though). Just makes you think how much of a monopoly Cocoon had as a "techno" night back then.

so stop moaning about amnesia, the vast majority of the clubs on the island get totally packed sometimes and the more you experience it, the less it bothers you (in my case at least).

Totally agree on this. Its the nature of the game, and while we can moan about it, a lot of the time its lack of knowledge of the club by the people that cause it.

Pacha sorted things last year with the widening of the steps, but people still want to stand on them and wonder why they get pushed around.

In DC10, everyone stands by the doors between the two rooms and wonder why they get crushed. Stand towards one of the side walls and its much better.
In Pacha, don't stand on the steps.
In Amnesia, try and stand towards stage left etc etc (though I admit the Terrace can get insane sometimes).

Rant over...... :)

I'm going this year in June after Sonar. Hoping it's less crowded than the last 2 times I went (August and for the closing parties).

it will be noticeably quieter in june than in august and closing party period - you will love it (but still, closing party vibe can't be beaten).

I appreciate what you are saying guys, and i agree with you to a certain degree, but i don't think anybody is moaning for the sake of moaning.

Everybody wants a club busy with a great atmosphere, just not dangerously over capacity.

You can't blame customers, regardless of whether they are in the know about the venue & where best to stand, or not. Im sorry, but you just can't. The venues (and indeed the authorities) need to take the responsibility. This is a serious issue.

IF (and i hope this never happens), but if there were to be an incident a la Love Parade 2010 or Big Beach Bootique 2002 or even something as isolated as this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/19/nightclub-suspected-crush-death-northampton

then you can bet your bottom dollar that as visitors to the island who go for the clubs we will all be affected, even if not directly, by the fallout.

Of course these incidents can occur anywhere, and I'm certainly not singling out any club in particular, or even limiting this to just Ibiza. But some of the scenes i have personally witnessed in Ibiza Re: crowding have been unacceptable. You can't take a gamble with people's lives.

I'd be gutted as the next man to get turned away from a club for arriving too late as it's already filled-up. And if i was the club manager/promoter looking out at a queue of people who i physically cannot fit into my club i would also feel gutted. But seriously, it's the lesser of 2 evils.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree with you though that if you go in with a bad attitude in regards to the crowds then you are likely to have a **** time. Very true. Always going to get inadvertantly knocked about a bit whilst you are in a club.

Over the 15 years i've been going to Ibiza clubbing there have been several occasions where i've thought it was getting dangerous. El Devino was bad, the main room/terrace bottleneck in Amnesia is sometimes fairly scary and Pacha has been stupid rammed too when i've been there and i don't mean just busy... i mean if one of the pyros sets fire to something then people are going to die.

Back