Obama

Morbyd

Just finished watching Barack Obama's acceptance speech at the Democratic party convention last night
http://www.youtube.com/user/BarackObamadotcom
(much better video here but you need to install a plug-in: http://gallery1.demconvention.com/)

Damn that's good stuff. This guy has to be the real deal.

If he's only half as good as he looks and sounds, that's twice better than those clowns that have been running the US for the past 8 years.

If there's any justice in the world, this guy ought to win the election no problem.
(if for some reason he loses... that's it! I'm never going home again! :lol:)

Just finished watching Barack Obama's acceptance speech at the Democratic party convention last night
http://www.youtube.com/user/BarackObamadotcom
(much better video here but you need to install a plug-in: http://gallery1.demconvention.com/)

Damn that's good stuff. This guy has to be the real deal.

If he's only half as good as he looks and sounds, that's twice better than those clowns that have been running the US for the past 8 years.

If there's any justice in the world, this guy ought to win the election no problem.

He is good isnt he?? Quite impressed with Michelle O too - fantastic speech earlier this week.....

She was great... as were Hillary and Bill. I've watched about 4 speeches from each night and those 4 stood out, along with Ted Kennedy and munchkin crazyman Dennis Kucinich.

Couldn't agree more!!!
I just hope that America recognises how good he will be as well. fingers crossed.

J

I fear the Americans will vote McCain because of the whole hoo hah between Russia and Georgia!

lets hope nothing comes to that!

I wasn't convinced at first, as those two threads illustrate..... He'd shown himself to be a great orator at the 2004 Democratic convention, but could he really pull it off? And then, could he deliver? We really did not know much about his character at that point.

And I certainly wasn't alone in thinking back then that he'd have a hard time winning the party's nomination. I guess I underestimated my fellow Americans (but most of the time, who wouldn't? :lol:)

I fear the Americans will vote McCain because of the whole hoo hah between Russia and Georgia!

lets hope nothing comes to that!
PM Putin and the Russian press have been advancing the theory that the US encouraged Georgia to try to retake S. Ossetia in order to provoke Russia and thus provide talking points for the election (in McCain's favor) :!:

Hopefully the combination of Obama's measured response and Joe Biden as running mate (lots of Senate Foreign Relations committee experience) will negate that issue...

I wasn't convinced at first, as those two threads illustrate..... He'd shown himself to be a great orator at the 2004 Democratic convention, but could he really pull it off? And then, could he deliver? We really did not know much about his character at that point.

And I certainly wasn't alone in thinking back then that he'd have a hard time winning the party's nomination. I guess I underestimated my fellow Americans (but most of the time, who wouldn't? :lol:)

is that some kind of admittance that you were wrong.;):p

is that some kind of admittance that you were wrong.;):p
Yes, I was wrong! Or more specifically, I didn't know enough about him, and I didn't have enough faith in my countrymen.

Unfortunately, now that I'm enthusiastically on board, I've got to hold my breath for 8 weeks! :confused: :lol:

Looking at the state by state polls it looks like Obama has a good chance of winning as he's competetive or ahead in states that usually go Republican.

I prefer Obama hands down (added to which I have read some disturbing features on McCain - very right wing, bad tempered and in cahoots with some dodgy lobbies and the religious right lunatics who believe in creationism etc)

my concern is that the right wing media - FOX, Rush Limbaugh etc will go into hyperdrive against Obama, calling him a closet muslim, questioning his wife and religious beliefs, they'll go to town on his old pastor and then, the whole race thing is never far from the surface... I think a lot of small town america may see McCain as one of their own come election day and the increasingly polarised America of liberal seaside v hick interior numerically favours the latter...

hope I'm wrong, but the things modern Europeans admire about Obama are often the same things that repel conservative America and that could cost him dearly...

I prefer Obama hands down (added to which I have read some disturbing features on McCain - very right wing, bad tempered and in cahoots with some dodgy lobbies and the religious right lunatics who believe in creationism etc)

my concern is that the right wing media - FOX, Rush Limbaugh etc will go into hyperdrive against Obama, calling him a closet muslim, questioning his wife and religious beliefs, they'll go to town on his old pastor and then, the whole race thing is never far from the surface... I think a lot of small town america may see McCain as one of their own come election day and the increasingly polarised America of liberal seaside v hick interior numerically favours the latter...

hope I'm wrong, but the things modern Europeans admire about Obama are often the same things that repel conservative America and that could cost him dearly...

you're right. a lot of it has been happening already

Yes, I was wrong! Or more specifically, I didn't know enough about him, and I didn't have enough faith in my countrymen.

Unfortunately, now that I'm enthusiastically on board, I've got to hold my breath for 8 weeks! :confused: :lol:

when i heard him speak, i never doubted him for a second. there was truly something different and inspirational about him. have you read audacity of hope yet?

there was a moment when i though hilary would beat him, almost because that's how it works rather than by merit.

even if obama failed as a president, he has already broken new boundaries and it would be a true landmark moment for international politics if he were elected. his policy towards iraq will hopefully also sort out that most diabolical of situations.

He's surviving purely on charisma and personality. He doesn't actually say much; but he says it well. Despite all his talk about 'change' does anyone actuzlly know what he wants to change? It's all fluffed out guff.

Well I'm voting for McCain....how's that for a different opinion! :eek:8) (don't beat me up)
Boo!!!!! Good thing my absentee ballot will be from Florida. I'll balance you out! :lol:

McCain's VP choice of Alaska governor Sarah Palin is extremely interesting, and surprising. I pretty much agree with what the pundits are saying: One the one hand, she probably gives McCain strength with conservatives and women. On the other, she kills his argument about Obama's lack of experience, given that she's served less than 2 years as a governor.

Funny story - I was in Alaska at a reception with former governor Murkowski on the day he lost the Republic primary to Palin two years ago. I remember seeing her signs up all over the place...there was a lot of enthusiasm for her. But Alaska is a small state in terms of population, so she gives McCain little territorial assistance (unlike Biden, who can help with states like Pennsylvania)

In any case, this whole thing is going to go down to the wire...

Back