Moving To Ibiza

virusoft

That's where highschool comes into play8):)
My school requires a 2nd language as does most others, but I was presented a choice in gr.8 unlike others to take spanish instead of our french policy. After thinking about it over my gr.7 summer I decided what countries would I like to travel to or even move there. Nothing clicked with french and obviously spanish was popping up all over my mind. I took the course, and still going strong intill my gr.12 year of spanish. Even all the spanish school work doesn't satisfy me and my learnings. I actually go to extra lengths to learn more about the language, download software, change my settings on items to spanish. msn... firefox... etc.

This shouldn't be a problem, thanks a lot though for the reply.
Looking for more clues and suggestions.
- Dale.

Buckley

Once i move in i intend on gettin a dog as mine died in belfast last chrimbo. Im looking a golden lab ( best dogs in world ) all i see out here are springer spaniels and pitbulls thrown in with some funky dalmations. Iv asked around to see if any1 breeds dogs but no 1 has labs so in august im considering flying home to get one as i know a few people at home who breed full pedagrees,
Go to Arthurio, the vet in San An. He actually asked me yesterday if I knew anyone looking for a dog, because they always have loads to re-home towards the end of the season.

LiverpoolChick

Hello Hannah

And you know if all else fails you should take up writing. This was a beautiful piece of prose. In fact, no need to leave it as last resort, you have a definite talent with words, absolutely gorgeous flow.

Best of luck to you and little Lottie

x

stephen121

your move

have just been reading about your move and i am soooo jealous.
i wanted to move to the island for ages and even looked at a small bar for sale, but i dont think i could get the cash together or have the balls to move..............!

kevsta

Hi all.

..Spent from last May until November there ( Benirras ) on an advance party recce of sorts, then unfortunately had to leave & brave the grey in the UK for a while, but am moving back out permanently in March.

Hasta Luego amigos & amigas :lol:

kevsta

jez71

This is my story so far…

When I was twenty eight I bought my first house in Sheffield, a dilapidated but huge villa type terraced in a run down area. Looking back I don’t know how I managed to get a mortgage as I had an overdraft and a student loan debt. It must have been through the skin of my teeth. I had a good feeling about the house and the area and paid £44k for it. I renovated it (now have the hands to prove it), filled it with lodgers and sold it to a property rental company for £177k four years later when the area boomed.

My ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity to escape dirty double decker buses, drizzle, oppressive office jobs and office politics, gloomy news reports, wintry summers, shopping centres, traffic lights and puddles was not going to pass me by. I took a trip to Ibiza and bought a top floor apartment next to Pacha.

When I got back to the UK, I sold most of my possessions on Ebay and bought an orange 70s speed boat on a trailer. I held a forecourt sale outside my house for two weeks and amazingly only one thing was stolen! I made a boat cover out of banner material the night before I set sail and luckily had two sewing machines as one couldn’t take the heat;)

Saying goodbye to my neighbours, the local shop keepers and my lodgers was heartbreaking and I still miss my old home to this day. I loved my lodgers (well some of them!) and miss living the communal life. We’d go out together or all squash onto one sofa to watch a video. However, I wasn’t getting any younger and I didn’t want to end up as the cranky old landlady in the attic.

I loaded up the boat with the rest of my things, hooked it onto the back of my old MGB and set off with my two companions, one was a friend taken on board for company and help in emergency situations (rubbish company and didn’t help when the boat came off the trailer nor when the car broke down) and the other was my 16 year old Yorkie dog Nellie (good company but not at all helpful). We drove through England and France and across to Barcelona, missing two ferries due to my friend wanting to take the coastal, difficult route, hence the boat coming off the trailer! Luckily it only half came off during a particularly steep climb up a windy road otherwise all my things would have ended up in the sea.

I lived in my apartment for a year and a half and had a good time. My time was spent going for long walks along Talamanca beach collecting shells, wandering around Ibiza Town, going to Pacha and Lucifer on Saturdays, renovating the apartment, getting to know people of all nationalities and watching Der Batchelor in German with my lodger Bianca whilst dressed in pjs and eating huge amounts of chocolate (funnily enough Blind Date is one of the things I miss about England!).

Using my design and renovation skills I landed myself a job as an Interior Designer managing a villa renovation project. I created a new design, supervised workers, painted walls, renovated furniture, made artwork, sourced ornaments at San Jordi junk market, dragged home huge amounts of driftwood to display, made curtains, recovered furniture, planted plants, made swings, did lots of mosaicing, ordered new lighting and flooring and generally got my hands dirty.

Unfortunately I also became acquainted with the man who came to lay concrete outside. Within days he had virtually moved into my apartment and soon after persuaded me to sell it in order to buy a house with him with promises he owned land and property, had lots of money and earned lots more. On NYE 2004 he proposed and a few days later I discovered I was pregnant.

A few months ago I finally found the courage to cut him out of my life as he was a horrible partner and seriously mistreated me and neglected me when I was pregnant. He has something wrong with him mentally, ranging from being a 24/7 passive aggressive male to being an outright psychopath (no empathy, no remorse, no compassion, compulsive liar, no conscience). I didn’t want my baby girl living in an unhappy environment so I went it alone. I receive no financial support from him and don’t want any. I’m happy to just have my baby and not have to see him. I hope things remain the same.

With my apartment funds depleted due to having to keep him for a year and a half (he earnt nothing, had no money, the land was a worthless piece of scrubland and the property was in his name only for tax reasons) I had to do something pretty quickly.

I bought a shop almost as soon as I became single. I had seen the shop a year earlier and I had said to myself that if ever I was to buy a shop it would be that one. I had a good feeling about it. It is going to be an antique shop selling vintage handbags, art glass, studio pottery, ornaments and lots and lots of lovely vintage jewellery, some of which I will redesign in the little workshop at the back of the shop. People have told me the antique market is finished and that I am mad to get into it. However, I have a good feeling about it and I always like a challenge. I never do what everyone else is doing. It’s a huge risk but I have a passion for it and believe in it.

There is a lot of work to do as there is no electricity, plumbing, flooring or even plaster on the walls. Work will start in a few weeks but the shop will not be open until next spring so I will be living off home made bread and orange marmalade in the winter! The shop is going to be called Lottie Bogotti (my nickname for my beautiful blue eyed, blonde haired daughter Lottie who was one years old yesterday).

My rented house is in the middle of a farm in San Carlos. It is very small, hot and at any one time I am battling against one insect/animal invasion or another. No doubt it will be very cold in the winter with only a log burning stove for heating (driftwood missions are coming I think). However, most days I take my wicker basket to the field round the back and pick oranges, lemons, melons, grapes, onions, potatoes, lettuces, avocados, peppers, beans and tomatoes. My neighbours are all lovely, as is my landlord and his family. There are no double decker buses driving past my front door and when it rains it is so exciting it makes up for having no television reception.

Although I live in the party capital of the world, I don’t go out very often. When I do go out though, I really go out. If you’ve ever seen a woman dancing on the sacred podiums of Pacha and managing to stay up for over fifteen minutes before having her ankle squeezed by a reluctant bouncer, it was probably me. Usually though, my only trips out without Lottie are my fruit and veg expeditions while she sleeps.

The boat was stolen shortly after I arrived in Ibiza but that was a blessing as I would have spent a fortune renovating it. It only cost me £150 and it therefore made an excellent removal van, apart from its little slip! My MGB is stuck in a ditch waiting to be sold but I much prefer my plastic sky blue jeep with its constant splattering of pigeon **** and floor covering of portable beach. Little boys think its great too and are often seen pointing and shouting ‘Thomas the Tank Engine!’.

It is a proven fact that if you take risks in life and set challenges for yourself you are more likely to live longer. Nothing is forever. You never own anything forever. Your life will be filled with changes whether you instigate them or not.

My advice is to always listen to your gut feelings and follow your instincts. Your guardian angels may be trying to tell you something so don’t ignore them;)

However, before I have half of Britain packing its bags and due to arrive at Ibiza airport in four hours, you can’t act on instinct alone. Once you have the feeling you want to move away, you then have to make sure it’s a move for the better. Coming to Ibiza with a few thousand euros and faith in your abilities will probably buy you an extended holiday and some good memories, but inevitably a return home empty handed. Some get lucky, no doubt, but most others will struggle. Lots of people want to live here but not many can. There are more capable and willing hands in the winter than there are jobs. If you want to come, either have enough money to survive a few years and be frugal or get an all year round job before leaving.

To finish my story so far, about eight years ago I can remember standing and looking back at the marina area of Ibiza Town and saying ‘One day I will live in Ibiza. One day I will own an apartment in Ibiza’. My boyfriend of ten years obviously had less faith in me than I did and split up with me over the phone shortly after our holiday, saying I had no money and would never go anywhere in life. He was made redundant shortly afterwards and still lives in Manchester. In a recent email he sarcastically asked me if I had moved to Ibiza because of reading Driving Over Lemons, probably assuming I had moved here for the clubbing. I had read Driving Over Lemons and I do drive over lemons everyday.

Whether you emigrate or not, do what you want to do, listen to your gut feelings and have faith in yourself even if no-one else does. For those who want to come to live in Ibiza but are not able to, take pleasure from knowing you have greater highs than those who live here. Although you are only visitors, your excitement is greater and your love of the island stronger. When you live here it becomes normal and not so exciting. I envy the holiday makers and remember the excitement I used to feel when I was one.

Please all pray, religiously or not, for the success of Lottie Bogotti in San Carlos.

Good luck everyone,

Hannah, Lottie and Nellie…xxx

p.s. whilst writing this message, a praying mantice came into my living room, sat on the sofa and watched me as I walked around it saying hello. They move their heads as you move around and watch you with their huge eyes. They are supposed to be a good omen J
Brilliant to hear how people are getting on moving to Ibiza. One day I'll take the plunge to no doubt but not brave enough at the moment to give up a good job with good pension for it yet! so will have to cope with 2 weeks here and there for now. My mum and step father moved to Spain last year to Los Nietos nr Murcia and my Dad has also moved abroad a couple of years ago to France - in the Dordogne so reckon I'll definitely do the same one day I hope!

Good luck PistolC!

I've also just read all of Hannah's post and was very moved by it so searched for her 'lottie bogotti' in San Carlos and came across her blog.

http://mylifeinibiza.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

PistolC

Thanks Y'all

Aint been able to get on in a while, due to being very busy and preoccupied. Still here on the white island and having recieved so many pieces of tremendous and very welcome advice, I would only like to take this chance to say thanks to every single 1 who scribbled reply's. Reading the story's of people who made similar moves iv taken on board ur advice & rest assured enjoyed reading about ur experience.

Sufice to say iv been living the quiet life through the winter in my wee bungalow, Kept myself busy doing some renovation work to get it ready to go str8 back on the market,

Iv met many good friends, had many a great nights, parties, barbques, booze ups, and basicially if the next year goes anything like the past il be 1 happy camper..

Hope 2 c u's all on the beach or in the bar in 2007

PistolC

A Magnificent read Hannah...

If i can 2nd the opinion of if all else fails be rest assured your writing is unique and a joy to read.

I wish you good fortune and helthy living and of course heat for all the winters...

overload

love it

Have spent da last hour here reading des post and have da same mind as every1 here. Heddin out start of june and hopein not to return. been der for last 2 yrs and loved it. just basically sick of ireland and da lifestyle (same **** different day) does any1 have any advice on how to get a long term job which does not end after october? type of work?

1507jaw

Wow there's some pretty inspirational stories on here, i split up with my partner last year and family members have also died from cancer and i've also realised that you only have one life and to fill it with as many opportunities as possible. I'm looking to move to ibiza from May to September next year with my 3 year old, so if anyone has got any advice about jobs and what the childcare over there is like, just about any advice would be greatly appreciated. Who knows i may not come back!

PistolC

No Stephan, Me Still Here.

Jaw i dont know to much about childcare out here, what iv learned the past winter is that the island dies a horrible death. Although its the best time to explore in the cool climate & enjoy having the island to ones self. I must admit i did take a quick scoot Back to U.K in March as the rain was driving me mad and One can only have a drink in the 1 & only english pub open so many time's...

Stephan What makes u say i Bogged off,??

Sorry for the lack of updates but i aint got broadband out here and frankly rearly get on the net... Again thanx to all for the nice messages wish you's all good luck in your journeys, were ever it may take you

grego

No Stephan, Me Still Here.

Jaw i dont know to much about childcare out here, what iv learned the past winter is that the island dies a horrible death. Although its the best time to explore in the cool climate & enjoy having the island to ones self. I must admit i did take a quick scoot Back to U.K in March as the rain was driving me mad and One can only have a drink in the 1 & only english pub open so many time's...

Stephan What makes u say i Bogged off,??

Sorry for the lack of updates but i aint got broadband out here and frankly rearly get on the net... Again thanx to all for the nice messages wish you's all good luck in your journeys, were ever it may take you
:confused: :confused:

1507jaw

Hi pistol, would you say it's a better way of life and a nicer place to bring up children, and what do people actually do when the season shuts down, is it hard to find work. I'm from blackpool so i'm used to busy places becoming ghost towns in the winter. just want to way up any options before i take the plunge.

grego

Hi pistol, would you say it's a better way of life (yes) and a nicer place to bring up children (yes) , and what do people actually do when the season shuts down, is it hard to find work (yes) . I'm from blackpool so i'm used to busy places becoming ghost towns in the winter. just want to way up any options before i take the plunge.
good luck!:D

PistolC

Holy Sheeshaa...

To think, this was all so long ago, this was before the mega crash were the bankers robbed so many, and continue to do so until this very day... I know, this is the Ibiza forum, no more of that talk...

It's unbelievable it's been so long... Feels like yesterday... The travelling to Ibiza was awesome, The boat from Belfast to Stranraer, The two day drive to Portsmouth, the few days ferry to Bilbao, The welsh girls on the boat :), The drive to Barcelona with no air con (Not recommended) with everything I owned packed in around me, The missing the boat to Ibiza and spending a night in Barcelona, Then the boat to Ibiza when Italy were Playing Spain in the WC 06, Boat was packed with Rich Italians and lots of Spanish too, Being befriended by a beautiful elegant Italian Lady, The Arrival into Port in Ibiza Town in early morning (Recommended)

I've decided to come back to this forum to see what I've missed, in '08 I left Ibiza & haven't able to return since. Now my brain is dreaming, craving, desiring Ibiza once more..

Would love to share the story of my time, it's a bit much for me to pound out now, however I will return often to fill in pieces.. One thing I will say though, After all the planning I did on my travelling and planning a life for myself, I never knew one such fact which was vital.. Internet.. The damn place did have good internet, imagine dial-up in say 1996/7 ah all those early days spent in internet cafes, as a internet poker pro, this was vital.. From there the story begins and hopfully helps explain why I was not around much on Ibiza-spotlight....

Having met many great characters in my two years on the beautiful isle, many of whom remain friends, met many dodgy geezers and many beautiful women, Ibiza is without doubt my favorite place on planet Earth, I eventually began to think as a native... Me being me, my luck being my luck, I guess, thinking back it all went pear shaped, when, I met and fell for a woman... AAHhhhhhhhhh, bloody women..

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone...

Hannah, if you ever come back here, id be thrilled to read your blog, says i need an invite..

Last edited by a moderator: