Madonna

Because not many people beyond clubbers know what it is or associate it with 'ecstasy'.

I think the whole David Nutt controversy shows the majority of Brits aren't cool with ecstasy/MDMA.

MDNA can also be intepreted as an abbreviation of her name or M-DNA.

Also acronym - Madonna Does Not Age.......

Also acronym - Madonna Does Not Age.......

Well said. Madonna still kicks the living lights out of wannabe Gagas and the like, who cannot even stay 'compus' enough to get through their public performances and whose 'talent' is most definitely questionable. I don't know or care much what Madonna does in her private time but I think it is pretty naive to think she doesn't have a firm handle on all aspects of 'popular culture'.

Pop or no pop, Madonna brought a fair dose of the Paradise Garage spirit to the mainstream and if she did make a barely veiled reference to MDMA in her statement that's probably because she took one look around the room at Ultra and said it how it was.

If you lived through the times when Madonna rose to (and sustained) her fame, and understood the context in which her blatantly provocative approach was so successful, the tenor of her latest album is patently nothing new. The US lags a couple of decades behind Europe as far as the popularity of E is concerned. I would go so far as to say the US is only now at the point UK was in the early '90s with MDMA. This is likely due to the fact that the popularity of "E" DM over there is also only now starting to escalate significantly.

As regards Deadmau5, the guy is barely out of short pants compared to Madonna .. and (let's face it) still in "Disney Ears". Aside from the fact that mention of the word 'class' in connection with Ultra Miami is about as derisory as it gets, I find it far more inappropriate that an electronic music artist playing to a room full of drugged out teens and young folks (the legal drinking age being 21 lest we forget), dressed as a Mouse, and cashing in on the rising popularity of EDM [alongside MDMA no doubt] was looking to score points off Madonna over this. I wonder what he would have said if M.A.N.D.Y. had been billed to play next ?

Let's all deny what's under our very noses (or up them in some peoples' cases) - and carry on with the tinsel-tinged, chocolate box whitewash show for the sake of the big Media PR team. Please will some of these folks grow up ...

... oh, and I'd far rather see Madonna than the SHM, Avicii, Guetta, etc etc. A far less offensive brand of pop music by a long stretch.

Well said. Madonna still kicks the living lights out of wannabe Gagas and the like, who cannot even stay 'compus' enough to get through their public performances and whose 'talent' is most definitely questionable. I don't know or care much what Madonna does in her private time but I think it is pretty naive to think she doesn't have a firm handle on all aspects of 'popular culture'.

Pop or no pop, Madonna brought a fair dose of the Paradise Garage spirit to the mainstream and if she did make a barely veiled reference to MDMA in her statement that's probably because she took one look around the room at Ultra and said it how it was.

If you lived through the times when Madonna rose to (and sustained) her fame, and understood the context in which her blatantly provocative approach was so successful, the tenor of her latest album is patently nothing new. The US lags a couple of decades behind Europe as far as the popularity of E is concerned. I would go so far as to say the US is only now at the point UK was in the early '90s with MDMA. This is likely due to the fact that the popularity of "E" DM over there is also only now starting to escalate significantly.

As regards Deadmau5, the guy is barely out of short pants compared to Madonna .. and (let's face it) still in "Disney Ears". Aside from the fact that mention of the word 'class' in connection with Ultra Miami is about as derisory as it gets, I find it far more inappropriate that an electronic music artist playing to a room full of drugged out teens and young folks (the legal drinking age being 21 lest we forget), dressed as a Mouse, and cashing in on the rising popularity of EDM [alongside MDMA no doubt] was looking to score points off Madonna over this. I wonder what he would have said if M.A.N.D.Y. had been billed to play next ?

Let's all deny what's under our very noses (or up them in some peoples' cases) - and carry on with the tinsel-tinged, chocolate box whitewash show for the sake of the big Media PR team. Please will some of these folks grow up ...

... oh, and I'd far rather see Madonna than the SHM, Avicii, Guetta, etc etc. A far less offensive brand of pop music by a long stretch.

:lol: good post.

It is interesting that the only person mentioned in today's press as 'outraged' is someone within the dance music community. Another indication of how times have changed. Dance used to be really punk.

Not sure I understand his point. Or his ears.

Because not many people beyond clubbers know what it is or associate it with 'ecstasy'.

I don't think people are that naive. My mother knows this.

I think the whole David Nutt controversy shows the majority of Brits aren't cool with ecstasy/MDMA.

I think we have different ideas about what progress means. Brits aren't evangelising about it - but sensationalist stories are definitely on the wane. "E kills" just isn't fashionable any more. Particularly when the Guardian regularly publishes scientific studies ruling it to be ok.

MDNA can also be intepreted as an abbreviation of her name or M-DNA.

Isn't that entirely the point? She's playing on the irony which lights up the subtext in bright flashing neon.

It is interesting that the only person mentioned in today's press as 'outraged' is someone within the dance music community. Another indication of how times have changed. Dance used to be really punk.

Deadmau5 is part of the corporate machine, though. He obviously doesn't understand his dance roots. Or probably even his fans.

I think we have different ideas about what progress means. Brits aren't evangelising about it - but sensationalist stories are definitely on the wane. "E kills" just isn't fashionable any more. Particularly when the Guardian regularly publishes scientific studies ruling it to be ok.

1. You must have a hip mom. :lol: I doubt mine would know what MDMA is. I've even talked to supposedly drug smart people who don't know what it is, it being a scientific abbreviation after all. "Oh, it's ecstasy. I used to take that back in the day." That's why most legal highs are given catchy/stupid names.

2. The Guardian is The Guardian and hardly speaks for the majority of the UK. Try to spin MDMA in a positive light or suggest a lower classification and you'll have politicians, The Sun and The Daily Mail on your back. I do think we'll get to an interesting point in the next decade or so where MDMA will be available in a counselling context (some guy from MAPS seem to think so), but I don't know what the knock-on effect in the wider debate will be.

If there are less E kills story, it's because there are newer drugs for the media to jump on ('meow meow', 'roflcoptr', even ketamine). You can't say the media don't still love a good drugs scare story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the reason that the drug references on her album are not causing any ripples is because she's courted controversy for so long that it's become the boring and unshocking.

Also when there is a film released of the nation's latest young starlet / role model to young girls (Tulisa) giving a blowjob the week before her latest record is released (- general theme of single being: I'm young and I make mistakes :rolleyes: - are we mugs here?) is it any surprising that Great Aunty Madge is not causing any waves?

Tulisa came out of this smelling of roses ( and probably sperm) -which is fair enough, it was only a blowjob - BUT - in the very recent past this would have been a career ending scandal!

Madonna must be pulling her ever thinning hair out in frustration and I'm sure is frantically trying to arrange a threesome with a giraffe and a serial killer as her next PR stunt.

So i don't think it's about an increased tolerance to drug use, it's just part of the general race to the bottom we're seeing in popular culture.

BTW: Straight Outta Compton was a big commercial success, it was about number 35 in the US Billboard Charts. And it was bought by and large by white boys who didn't like rap music, but who though swearing was cool.

Deadmau5 is part of the corporate machine, though. He obviously doesn't understand his dance roots. Or probably even his fans.

1. You must have a hip mom. :lol: I doubt mine would know what MDMA is. I've even talked to supposedly drug smart people who don't know what it is, it being a scientific abbreviation after all. "Oh, it's ecstasy. I used to take that back in the day." That's why most legal highs are given catchy/stupid names.

2. The Guardian is The Guardian and hardly speaks for the majority of the UK. Try to spin MDMA in a positive light or suggest a lower classification and you'll have politicians, The Sun and The Daily Mail on your back. If there are less E kills story, it's because there are newer drugs for the media to jump on ('meow meow', 'roflcoptr', even ketamine). You can't say the media don't still love a good drugs scare story.

Okay we're going around in circles now. :lol:

Allegedly, Kate Middleton was photographed with a hockey stick and global sales have sky rocketed.

MDNA is a blatant and deliberate drug reference, kids are going to start taking it as a result.

My mum is almost 60 and if I asked her what mdma was explicitly she would tell me it was a drug, however if she glanced at an album by Madonna entitled MDNA I don't think mdma would spring to mind it would just be seen as an abbreviation as it's not something she talks about regularly. It is more obvious to the people who take mdma or have been involved in the scene whereas to someone who knows what MDMA is but never has reason to speak of it then they will only use the information thats available to them (e.g. Madonna has the letters M D N A, an abbreviated word is a short version of a longer word) therefore to those people it is just a short way of saying Madonna.

I'll ask my mum if she knows what MDMA is when she's round for tea tonight.

Is it kids that are buying Madonna records these days or is it those in their 30s upwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
My mum is almost 60 and if I asked her what mdma was explicitly she would tell me it was a drug, however if she glanced at an album by Madonna entitled MDNA I don't think mdma would spring to mind it would just be seen as an abbreviation as it's not something she talks about regularly. It is more obvious to the people who take mdma or have been involved in the scene whereas to someone who knows what MDMA is but never has reason to speak of it then they will only use the information thats available to them (e.g. Madonna has the letters M D N A, an abbreviated word is a short version of a longer word) therefore to those people it is just a short way of saying Madonna.

But it's an intentional nod to the drug so that's how it's going to be presented in 90% of press releases, tabloids and interviews.

It's irrelevant whether people know about it or not. The work will be done for them.

But it's an intentional nod to the drug so that's how it's going to be presented in 90% of press releases, tabloids and interviews.

It's irrelevant whether people know about it or not. The work will be done for them.

well I guess that depends whether people are interested in reading about Madonna. I'm sure missy elliot had an album called so addictive with a big e on the cover and many references to taking pills in her songs. I know she's not quite as mainstream but still, it's already been done I think Madonna is running out of ideas. I really don't like her anymore but I stiil love her 80's 90's music and some of her latest stuff, I shouldnt really comment on her album but the song with Nicki Minaj is just awful sounding. I like the lyrics though is it a dig at Lady Gaga?

Dunno - I didn't really create the thread to talk about pop music.

People are reading about her though. She's on the front page of the friggin' metro every week.

Erotica is a good album, haven't heard it for years I had all her old albums on tapes so I just bought her greatest hits on itunes and deleted the crap stuff. Totally forgot about that song

Tend to agree with MarkB - I can imagine her being quite gutted that she hasn't been banned :lol: but on the flip side if she feels that she's got 'under the radar' then she may feel she is really connecting, dude, to the youth of today ;)

Whilst I do cringe a little when I see her rubbing her gash along the dance floor, I can't help but admire how amazingly well she has done - what a strong, powerful woman who has striven for continual success.

There is no way I would pay £80+ to see her, but all of this chat is making me think it would be kinda cool to see her first ever Scottish gig!!

Back