London Bombers & Religion

coley said:
dam0 said:
In christianity you have the 10 commandments etc. You'd end up with a lot of ned flanders. quote]

Not quite son 8)

haha howdy coley i was waitin till you'd seen this. Bein as you've been on both sides of the religious fence as it were. I meant if we all strictly followed the rules etc rather than taking the bibles lessons and applying them to modern life. That could make people a bit neddy i reckon ;)

I don't know very many of you here but I wanted to add a little comment. I am a PhD student in New Testament and these very religious dynamics that are being discussed here. In the academic world we speak of religion as a force created by the elite people of a nation (kings, leaders, priests, popes, et.al) in order to legitimate social status, invasions, conquests, murders and the like. In fact, the Prophet Muhammad claimed to be illiterate because as he dictated the Qu’ran right before events like the invasion of Medina took place his claims in turn JUSTIFIED his militaristic actions. His claim to illiteracy proves further that he didn’t do it for these reasons which other further justify the invasion. This dynamic is found in every world religion, even those considered non-violent. Religion is a political force used to create, then legitimate, then make authoritative the views of the elite and/or for extremists to move themselves from the margins of society into the center. This dynamic has been repeated throughout history and you know the old cliché…
This is not to trivialize anyone’s belief, but to bring up the dynamics of religion as a worldwide force especially in the age of globalization. I could drone on and on about this but I will save everyone the boredom. Thanks!

Anjali - you rock. We've got to go out for a drink sometime. You've crystallized my thoughts on this subject perfectly. ;)

Anjali said:
I could drone on and on about this but I will save everyone the boredom. Thanks!

Too late - I bore the good folk of this board to death with this on a fairly regular basis.

Anjali said:
I don't know very many of you here but I wanted to add a little comment. I am a PhD student in New Testament and these very religious dynamics that are being discussed here. In the academic world we speak of religion as a force created by the elite people of a nation (kings, leaders, priests, popes, et.al) in order to legitimate social status, invasions, conquests, murders and the like. In fact, the Prophet Muhammad claimed to be illiterate because as he dictated the Qu’ran right before events like the invasion of Medina took place his claims in turn JUSTIFIED his militaristic actions. His claim to illiteracy proves further that he didn’t do it for these reasons which other further justify the invasion. This dynamic is found in every world religion, even those considered non-violent. Religion is a political force used to create, then legitimate, then make authoritative the views of the elite and/or for extremists to move themselves from the margins of society into the center. This dynamic has been repeated throughout history and you know the old cliché…
This is not to trivialize anyone’s belief, but to bring up the dynamics of religion as a worldwide force especially in the age of globalization. I could drone on and on about this but I will save everyone the boredom. Thanks!

This makes perfect sense - as much as religion is a saviour for the souls of many people - equally it is used as a weapon by others...

Sadly its nothing new as history tells us.

I havent read any of this thread sorry Buckley (its too long and I have the attention span of a

I think I probably offended some people when I made (one of my famous cringeworthy) drunken posts on here a while back. Saying that religion is a joke and weak people need something to believe in and that its all a cult.

Looking back I maybe was a bit of a cock for saying that, hands up.

But I do think that the world would maybe be a better place without it?

Most people are only the religion they are because their parents were right? How many kids actually study all the religions, before deciding which one they believe in, and will follow.

Theres too much conflict in this world

We should all just get along

and dance

Morbyd said:
Anjali - you rock. We've got to go out for a drink sometime. You've crystallized my thoughts on this subject perfectly. ;)

Anytime Morbyd...Getting drunk and talking religion is one of my favorite things to do! :twisted:

i was out in ibiza last week when i heard about the bombings in central london, and it really hit me hard! Both my parents work in central london, two stops on the tube from where the bombs went off, and they both travel at axactly that time (8.51am) too. Secondly, i work in Piccadilly Circus, which is about 2 stops away too. Me and my friends all made frantic phone calls home to check up on everyone, all was well luckily.

I returned to central london for the first time on wednesday 13th july (about 6 days after the attacks), and it felt like nothing had happened. People had not forgotten, but had just simply got on with things. Buses were rammed as usual, tourist buses were also rammed, tubes were rammed. It made me feel good about living in london, a very very strong city. I must admit, when i stepped onto a tube on wednesday for the first time, i was scared, 90% of the people on the tube looked worried too. If anyone put a bag down or made offkey movements, the eyes of everyone in the carridge followed them. Four days on, things are back to normal.

The final comment i would like to make is with regards to the 2minutes silence held at 12pm on thursday afternoon. I walked out onto the street at 11.57am and stood in the middle of the pavement. The streets were packed, the whole of Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus was a complete stand still. Now anyone who's been to either parts of central london will know that these are two of the most busiest parts of london. As soon as it hit 12pm, not a single person moved or vechile either. It was truely an emotional experience, to be on the streets of central london, to see hundreds of people not moving, everyone grouped together in one small moment of unity against such an evil event. It made me proud again of being and living in london!

May we all grow stronger from this.

I think that's what makes London the center of the world right now.

No other city could bounce back so easily, or make such a show of unity.

10 years on, in the light of recent atrocities, anyone think any different. I widened my thinking to accept that it isn't only religious myths that can be used to brainwash people into extreme violence. Money can and is used that same way and is no more 'real' than 'God' after all.

10 years on, in the light of recent atrocities, anyone think any different. I widened my thinking to accept that it isn't only religious myths that can be used to brainwash people into extreme violence. Money can and is used that same way and is no more 'real' than 'God' after all.

Absolutely agree. I'm hugely anti-religion. But it'd be naive to think it is the sole reason behind these attacks. There are dozens of contributing factors. Not least our governments' foreign policy.

Back