LeT THE GoOd TiMeS RoLL [11th Aug - 18th Aug]

Yea, unfortunately your thoughts on Pacha are dead on. Here is an excerpt from my 'uninteresting trip report' [ http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=75570 ] (yea, we went on "commercial central" night, my concession to my buddy that came on the trip with me)

And this was early in the season too !! I'm sure it was worse as July/Aug hit. Basically, the VIP section is MUCH bigger than the dance floor, which is ridiculous. It's so unbelievably rammed, that it's unpleasant, regardless of your taste for the music. Not to turn anyone off, but Betty's description is dead on. The club will get to you. Expected to be rammed, expect to have no room to dance. That's why I ended up saying if you really feel like you must do Pacha, strongly consider VIP.. not because it's cool or you are cool, but because it's the only way you will not want to kill yourself. And presumably you are there to dance, not defend yourself from getting knocked over while having your arms plastered to your body by all the other sardines that got crammed into the tight can of a "dancefloor" (that's in quotes because they call it a dancefloor, I call it a hellhole)

You're right techno, but why should we have to buy VIP to actually have any chance at being able to dance and have a good night, is it really worth paying 100s of euros just for a night...I think Pacha need to sort themselves out and get rid of some of the VIP areas and stop ramming the place so packed - although this aint going to happen..

4 lasses having it large on a 1st trip ricocheting around the island in a Cabriolet - it's priceless.

LOL...well when you put it like that...

Please share more about your sortie with the guys you met on PDB beach and went off with :twisted:

I wish there was more to share Kimajy - who knows what would have happened if we had have taken them up on on their ravishing offer - what fools we were...actually hold on a minute, these guys were wearing white shirts and suit shoes with shorts, far too cool for me 8)

You're right techno, but why should we have to buy VIP to actually have any chance at being able to dance and have a good night, is it really worth paying 100s of euros just for a night...I think Pacha need to sort themselves out and get rid of some of the VIP areas and stop ramming the place so packed - although this aint going to happen..

Absolutely right. They give this illusion that they are a club, you just buy a ticket, come in, and have a great night dancing. When that is clearly not the reality (unless it happens to not be crowded). To be fair, early in the season we did Luciano and Tiesto there with just regular tickets and it was ok (Tiesto was borderline not okay) because it wasn't packed to the gills. But in high season, the promise of a real club with a usable dance floor is just an illusion.

(white shirts and shoes with shorts) far too cool for me 8)

LOL

Awesome review!!! I'm enjoying hearing the Ibiza story from a girl perspective.

I thought Blue Marlin was a bit pretentious myself. I had on standard cargo shorts, flip flops and a collard shirt when I went and they still looked at me queer like even after my table of 4 had bought a bottle of vodka, champagne, and a big tray of sushi (being asked to pay after every order). With Louie Vega and wife playing that night, I felt like I had been tricked onto a cruise ship for rich old people.

Meh... I like nice places that can and do charge what they are worth but I expect to be treated as well as the next person.

we made some little bombs up

Still couldn't feel anything from our little bombs, its ok they usually take longer when you wrap them up.

Very slowly the bombs kicked in and we all began to feel pretty wasted, I could not stop dancing and smiling as we mooched our way around the place.

I never know why people are willing to remix pills. I always test them, half a pill 1st and wait 30 mins and to see... Of course, that said, I had the same experience this year... the set on seemed to take ****ing forever leading me to believe I could handle 3 at once.... not a good idea as they were actually full strength just had a long build up. Still taking 3 over 1.5 hours did not devastate me anything like 3 up front would have.

The night was Subliminal (Erick Morillo & Chuckie). Chuckie was on first and he was awful, pure cheese, it was awful, I just couldn't get into it, I was trying as will always make the best of things, but no. I figured it would be ok once Morillo came on – I've always been a massive fan of Morillo, I've seen him all over, but im afraid he has gone down, subliminal has gone right down, they're going too commercial now (isn't this what they all end up doing eventually). Every song sounded the same, with the same build up and the same mental bit. It was so predictable! With some awful remixes. But to make matters worse the club was driving me crazy – I couldn't believe I was in Pacha and it was doing my head in! It was just sooo rammed, you couldn't even get anywhere near the dance floor, so we ended up dancing near the entrance (I may as well have just been in bar – I hate not been able to see the DJ or not being on the dance floor in the vibe of it). I made a few attempts to squeeze through people, but the heat and squashy-ness of it all was too much, my friends kept laughing as each time I would come back after about 5 seconds after failing to get through! Lol.

I want to see Tiesto so bad I am actually thinking about going but I really think the club steers the DJs into playing more mainstream stuff to better fit the club's taste.

Kinda like finding a pretty woman then making her get loads of surgery IMHO.

Another massive bug bear of the night was the VIP areas! Oh my god! I don't get it?! (well I do – greed) but at least half of the club is devoted to VIP, now I had read about this before I went so I was kinda expecting it, but not this much. The majority of the club is rammed in, us mere mortals who make the club what it is, squished, squashed and treated like cr3p. If that huge, empty VIP area right next to the main dance floor was all dance floor, how much better would that be?! Sorry rant over…So we stayed until about 5.30/6ish before we decided to bail out – the cocktail of party chemicals I had taken had made me feel a bit sicky – the only cure to this was going to be a smoke for. We had made a pack that we were going to head to the beach when we got back to watch the sunrise. We were prepared (after the dodgy rolls after space) and had already rolled one ready to go

If the non-VIP area did not look horrible the 'VIPs' wouldn't feel special.

VIP in places like NYC, LA, or DC are cool but it just seems counter to what I want from an Ibiza experience.

Thanks Helen :D You've got to do Ushuaia Helen - I loved it, it was the whole outdoor thing for me that really sets it apart

Was at my mate Phil's last night and he's worked over there the past couple of seasons and has convinced me 110% that I need to go.

Awesome review!!! I'm enjoying hearing the Ibiza story from a girl perspective.

:D:D Always good for a bit of variety

Meh... I like nice places that can and do charge what they are worth but I expect to be treated as well as the next person.

Ditto!

I never know why people are willing to remix pills. I always test them, half a pill 1st and wait 30 mins and to see... Of course, that said, I had the same experience this year... the set on seemed to take ****ing forever leading me to believe I could handle 3 at once.... not a good idea as they were actually full strength just had a long build up. Still taking 3 over 1.5 hours did not devastate me anything like 3 up front would have.

It was MDMA crystal that we had, because we were sharing we made a little bomb out of rizla and then shared it out - bobs your uncle...so to speak, we wrapped them up tightly so we didnt loose any of the filling, I think this is why we they took ages to come on...i'm with you robot on the popping more, been there, done that, not thinking they were working, hehe, messy!

I want to see Tiesto so bad I am actually thinking about going but I really think the club steers the DJs into playing more mainstream stuff to better fit the club's taste.

Kinda like finding a pretty woman then making her get loads of surgery IMHO.

I like your analogy :lol:

VIP in places like NYC, LA, or DC are cool but it just seems counter to what I want from an Ibiza experience.

Yeah...They never look like they are having that much fun in the VIP areas anyways.

Friday 17th August

We woke up bright and early today, the mood in camp was a little deflated, one of the girls was flying home today and it was our last night on the island – where had the week gone to? After a farewell breakfast, we got her in a taxi and waved her off. It was weird being up this early and not wasted. We had the full day! Plan of action – head to the beach, early tea, then on to Ushuaias for Sasha. As we lazed on the beach, there was no sign of Barry big balls anywhere, gutted, hehe. There was a gorgeous breeze that made sunbathing just perfect, as we sipped our cans of rekorderlig in preparation of tonights events.

Being the sensible heads that we are :lol: (!) and knowing that we had to catch a plane tomorrow, getting out of our heads tonight was not on the menu, although I am sure we would have been fine and I really wanted too – it was our last night, why not go out with a bang, but I went with the majority, plus we had a some cola, it would have to do. We headed down to Ushuaias about 7, stopping for a few shots along the way. Now unlike the other clubs, I had really done much ‘research' shall we say beforehand. I knew it was a hotel and it was outside with a big pool in the middle, but that was about it really, and this was good, as sometimes its better not to know – just go and enjoy the night. Our bags got searched as we went in, and I have to say my heart notched up a few extra beats as I had carelessly thrown the ‘small' bag of powder into my handbag. Of course it was fine, I think they are only looking for ppl taking in alcohol? Panic over, let the fun begin. The sound system hit me as we entered and I instantly loved the vibe of this place, I think the fact that it is outdoors it what makes it so special– you can't get this back home and I was excited to get on the dance floor as the big base line tunes steadily pumped out. I loved all the random animal statues dotted all over the place too. A quick vodka and redbull/toilet dash and we were ready to hit the dance floor, which was full but still had plenty of room to dance. Eats everything was on, who I had never seen before (or heard of to be honest) – he was really good, building the crowd up slowly with a right mixture of deep house, I loved it. He dropped in a bit of drum and base in the middle of a song at one point and everyone went mad – I wish I knew some of the songs names, but I'm useless!

SDC16902.jpg

As the music picked me up, I was glad I wasn't completely out of it, surprisingly I felt like I didn't actually need anything (ok so we had a bit of cola, hardly mind altering), although if someone had offered me a pill there and then I probably would have taken it. Instead I get a German guy asking if he can try my sunglasses on, to which I smile politely and tell him they are glued on, so sorry no (it's been a miracle I've not lost or broke my first pair of funkiest Raybans ever, real ones, so I was not risking the chance of some dude doing one with them on, although im sure he wouldn't have, maybe im too paranoid :) He then asked if he could take a picture of them (with me in?), I smiled and carried on dancing, luckily he didn't get his camera out! :spank:

Eats Everything came to an end, and on came M.A.N.D.Y – they were ok, not as good as Eats Everything I thought, kinda dropped the pace back down again. Time for another toilet break….now the toilets, this was the one major flaw with Ushuaia for me, the bloody toilets, or lack of them should I say. There only appeared to be one set of toilets (with about 5 toilets in, one out of order), the queue was constantly massive (easily 15 minutes queuing time each time and no air conditioning, nightmare), so that got really annoying, especially when you didn't actually need the toilet, just the cubicle. Also the cubicles are practically pitch black, so it's a bit tricky to see what you are actually doing, now I know this is no coincidence, but I mean come on, it's not really going to stop people doing what they need to do - it just means the take longer! We went in search of more toilets but the back bit of the place was roped off so you couldn't get to them, as it turned out later on, they opened these toilets, thank god, and hardly anyone seemed to know about them so they were always dead – so remember that guys and gals.

Sasha was brilliant, I literally did not stop dancing the whole time. The best place to go is round the back of the stage/dJ booth to the other side and you can get right near the front/fan without it getting too crowded but still right in it all. The other two I were with were quite happy dancing round the edge, but I wanted to get in a bit, feel the ice cannons, I was lost in the music. I didn't want the night to end, but all too quickly that 12am finish came, and as the clock struck, the last tune literally finished bang on time….nooooo, one more tune, please….but no, he didn't. We left feeling sad, but happy that we had had such a great night.

Overall Verdict – Wow what a fantastic week it was. Admittedly not as crazy as I had originally thought, and to be honest I had visions of us being far more wrecked than we were, but this didn't really matter at all because we didn't need to be wasted every second, we didn't need to be because we were having a good time on our own. Ibiza is everything I thought it would be and maybe a few things I thought it wouldn't be too. What I mean by this is that yes the clubs, the music – “the scene”, the sunsets, the melting pot of people, the fun and the craziness of the place is just as I imagined. I love this about the island. I have to admit I was expecting a bit more from Playa D'en Bossa, it's great that is has Space, Ushuaia, Sankeys, DC-10 on its doorstep, perfect in that respect, but the resort was maybe not as nice as I was expecting, quite grubby in places – I suppose I thought it would be a bit more like Ibiza town, little cobbled streets, white buildings, a bit more charm, but in reality its just like any other European destination.

I loved Ibiza town, and I think this is how I imagined Ibiza to be. If we were to do it all again, I would like to stay nearer to here, and definitely rent a nice villa, have our own pool and not have to share with other annoying heads playing Base Hunter. I would definitely go back to Space, Ushuaia and Sankeys and make sure that I did DC-10s and perhaps one of the big clubs like Amnesia. I'm not sure if I would bother going back to Pacha and I feel really sad about saying that, such a brilliant club in terms of style/layout (ok we wont mention the vip) but I don't think I could enjoy a night being that squashed again.

For me Ibiza is all about the clubbing. I'll probably get shot for saying this but I don't really get why people go there otherwise. I agree the island is beautiful, I suppose it does have other things to offer, I mean we didn't even touch the sides of even seeing half of this, but the places we did visit were just so busy, it made it really hard to enjoy them. And Ibiza is expensive, the clubs are expensive which I was prepared for, but the bars are just as expensive, if not more for some (especially in Ibiza town). If you're not that bothered about hitting the clubs and want to see beauty there are other places to go that would be much cheaper. I spent a year travelling round the world so I suppose in terms of seeing other places you do compare.

Anyways, I don't want to get negative, I had the most amazing week. It reminded me just how much I love going out and going clubbing, as back home the nights seems to be far and few between. Will I go back? I bloody hope so, I'm not ready to hang my dancing shoes up just yet!

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it! Glad you enjoyed your first trip to Ibiza.

Really looking forward to Ushuaia now, it hadn't opened yet when I was last there so I'll definitely be there for some outdoor, daytime partying!

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it! Glad you enjoyed your first trip to Ibiza.

Really looking forward to Ushuaia now, it hadn't opened yet when I was last there so I'll definitely be there for some outdoor, daytime partying!

Thanks Jack :D Are you going this year?

For me Ibiza is all about the clubbing. I'll probably get shot for saying this but I don't really get why people go there otherwise. I agree the island is beautiful, I suppose it does have other things to offer, I mean we didn't even touch the sides of even seeing half of this, but the places we did visit were just so busy, it made it really hard to enjoy them. And Ibiza is expensive, the clubs are expensive which I was prepared for, but the bars are just as expensive, if not more for some (especially in Ibiza town). If you're not that bothered about hitting the clubs and want to see beauty there are other places to go that would be much cheaper. I spent a year travelling round the world so I suppose in terms of seeing other places you do compare.

Anyways, I don't want to get negative, I had the most amazing week. It reminded me just how much I love going out and going clubbing, as back home the nights seems to be far and few between. Will I go back? I bloody hope so, I'm not ready to hang my dancing shoes up just yet!
Great review bettty, been very interesting to have your take on the ibiza experience as a first timer to ibiza wih my own first time visit looming so close now.

funnily enough, i've always said, and i do get some looks (of annoyance) from people, that im only going to ibiza for the clubs/music, the other stuff has no real interest to me, be it beaches, sunsets etc and i think im a bit too late/cynical/realistic for a spiritual awakening:lol::lol: if space, dc10, amnesia etc weren't on ibiza, i wouldn;'t be going there and would'nt be spending as much as im going too, its that simple for me...its not really a holiday as such...its a clubbing week 8)

i am just one of those sickening techno tourists!:lol:

as for your clubbing days....keep on keepin' on 8) & i'd suggest you check out berlin for the clubs if you haven't been there.(most of my friends reckon its much more my place than ibiza is going to be...

Looks like Ushuaia is the things to do in ibz...(will chek youtube vids from djs playing there this summer...from Luciano vids, the sound was a little bit "mellow", not very much "funky"...)

finally, you post a pic of you (the girlz with 8) & with flower power dress ?)

Back