January Transfer Deadline Day

I don't understand why the spending is obscene in a recession, but not out of one? The two are unrelated, it's not like its tax payers money.

sure but I think in a recession where millions are out of work or facing payfreezes, and where we are all supposed to "be in it together" the spectacle of football players/clubs saying they are "insulted" by what mere mortals consider vast sums of money is what really infuriates. I personally think there should be a fixed salary for all footballers EU-wide which is graded according to length of service with minor regional adjustments and that's it, with the occasional bonus on top for exceptional performances. Why is the bundesliga so much cheaper than the premier league and la liga ? - they're not yet totally taken over by plutocrats and parasites out to make quick bucks, which is what is slowly strangling the gradually imploding English game.

Yes, to all of the commentary on the relative concept of value, we had no time, sh1t loads of money & needed a top striker - therefore he's worth 35 million!

Agreed that there's more comparative value than the ability of the footballer involved, and, yes, variables such as timing and a club's need have a massive bearing BUT it's Andy Carroll, for crap sake! :lol:

I don't understand why the spending is obscene in a recession, but not out of one? The two are unrelated, it's not like its tax payers money.

I just find the money in football obscene in general mate. Even more so in a recession. But i realise that im in the minority thinking that and its the way the game is these days

Did you see that this year they have a new kind of Superbowl ticket for which you pay $200 to stand outside the stadium in the parking lot and watch on a big screen? Now THAT is taking the p1ss! :lol:

Really? What a fantastic deal! You can watch it in my front room for $50 mate beer included ;)

Really? What a fantastic deal! You can watch it in my front room for $50 mate beer included ;)
I'd love to, but the plane ticket will cost 8 times that much :lol:
I just find the money in football obscene in general mate. Even more so in a recession. But i realise that im in the minority thinking that and its the way the game is these days
You should see what goes on in American football then, mate... you'd have a coronary!
(although they do have a very complicated salary cap system in place)

No, I agree, it's more than obscene, it's horrific, but it's horrific in or out of a recession. As are most of the excesses of capitalism.

I'd love to, but the plane ticket will cost 8 times that much :lol:

You should see what goes on in American football then, mate... you'd have a coronary!
(although they do have a very complicated salary cap system in place)

I do have a really comfy sofa if that helps seal the deal, surround sound too :lol:

sure but I think in a recession where millions are out of work or facing payfreezes, and where we are all supposed to "be in it together" the spectacle of football players/clubs saying they are "insulted" by what mere mortals consider vast sums of money is what really infuriates. I personally think there should be a fixed salary for all footballers EU-wide which is graded according to length of service with minor regional adjustments and that's it, with the occasional bonus on top for exceptional performances. Why is the bundesliga so much cheaper than the premier league and la liga ? - they're not yet totally taken over by plutocrats and parasites out to make quick bucks, which is what is slowly strangling the gradually imploding English game.

I know this is not a direct comparison, however imagine your on say 30 grand a year & the boss cuts you to 20 grand a year.

You would be mad, but explain that to a bangldeshi lead peddler.

It's human nature surely...I don't begrudge a player, who knows the clubs revenues are X & Y demanding his cut - it has to go somewhere, be it Mike Ashley, Ruper Muroch or Andy Carroll.

However I would love a world wide re-organising, salary cap & introduction of fans rights & ownership regulations as in the bundelsliga, they know how to do it.

No, I agree, it's more than obscene, it's horrific, but it's horrific in or out of a recession. As are most of the excesses of capitalism.

citizensmith.jpg

Good one Grego

We the fans contribute to the financial output of the teams we support. Except for in the red Chelsea The world wide demand for the EPL has driven up the salaries. The UEFA new scheme for operating in the black may make a difference?

@ Johnny $200 to watch on a big screen is taking the piss.

It's when people have no crackers, through no fault of their own & starve & your using your sandwich to clean the windows - that is ..... horrific, but it's where we are unfortunatly.

i've got a few questions/comments about this.

this would really only work with your standard sliced loaf, pref. a large white warburtons style or mighty white (does that still exist)

wholemeal i think would be a disaster as it'd go to bits quicker than a leper in a wind tunnel.

round my way, your average bocadillo would be no good for window cleaning. the hard part of the baguette wouldn't absorp or clean anything. i guess you could cut it in half and use the inside half, but then it's not a sandwich. if it's a sandwich, you couldn't use the inside half, cos it'd have butter or some filling on it. you'd literally be putting dirt on the window as you were cleaning it.

i guess you could use a variant like soda bread or something, something designed to soak **** up. i dunno 5 x the water of your average sliced bread......like those kitchen roll adverts.

also you couldn't toast the sandwich cos the grease off it would cause all sorts of hassle on the clean up operation. some might say toasting it automatically means it's not a sandiwch, it's actually a toastie. but some call it a toasted sandwich. that's a whole other debate though, so let's just deal with the sandwich window cleaning thing first.

this would really only work with your standard sliced loaf, pref. a large white warburtons style or mighty white (does that still exist)

wholemeal i think would be a disaster as it'd go to bits quicker than a leper in a wind tunnel.

round my way, your average bocadillo would be no good for window cleaning. the hard part of the baguette wouldn't absorp or clean anything. i guess you could cut it in half and use the inside half, but then it's not a sandwich. if it's a sandwich, you couldn't use the inside half, cos it'd have butter or some filling on it. you'd literally be putting dirt on the window as you were cleaning it.

i guess you could use a variant like soda bread or something, something designed to soak **** up. i dunno 5 x the water of your average sliced bread......like those kitchen roll adverts.

also you couldn't toast the sandwich cos the grease off it would cause all sorts of hassle on the clean up operation. some might say toasting it automatically means it's not a sandiwch, it's actually a toastie. but some call it a toasted sandwich. that's a whole other debate though, so let's just deal with the sandwich window cleaning thing first.
PMSL:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(what about a sandwich on ciabatta? :!: :lol:)

Back