impressions & observations from ibiza 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being here for the past week has shown me how possible it is for the season and economy to be extended for everyone’s benefit (imagine closings basically going into November 3 years ago?) - one possible positive outcome from Covid!!!)… Appreciate it’s a strange situation) I won’t comment on what locals / residents think about clubs as I am not from here and would never involve myself in another countries politics (although would respect them). All l will say is that there is superb weather, great hospitality and lovely little boogies here at the moment….more to come I hope!

ADE will always be a sticking point as the DJ's and 'the industry' all head to Amsterdam for a jolly. Its still possible for acts to fly to and from Ibiza and Amsterdam for events of course, but personally I think the manic flying about is another thing the Dance music industry needs to get away from, bad for the planet and leads to the same lineups everywhere.

But from a weather perspecitve yeh its still great in October, I really enjoyed my chill week last week.

ok so...

first off, @Nobbie Q I'm sorry, but some of your posts today are almost as delusional and ignorant as are the opinions of the hardcore anti-tourist and anti-clubbing brigade (more on this in a bit).

let's speak about a few facts.

dc10's noise first - it's what triggered the whole discussion. I live in sant jordi, pretty much exactly 2kms away from dc10. when there's no wind (or worse if the wind comes from the salinas area towards sant jordi / ibiza town), you can indeed hear dc10 very well. in the evenings, when their garden is open, I can often actually ID the tracks they play from our terrace at home. so I have absolutely no doubt that if I can hear the tunes crystal clear, the sound of the boom-boom-boom will travel for another two or three kilometres easily. I personally don't mind as I'm still a clubber, but of course lots of people DO mind (more on that later too). the comparison to the airport is a lame one, the noise of the planes isn't constant. it's 30secs and then quiet again, the bass of any club is ongoing for hours without a break. also, even after midnight, when dc10's garden is closed, you do hear the sound of the terrace or main room travelling. so yeah, people living close by do get a full 12hrs dose they might not want.

a few posts further up @Bucko08 said the venue could have invested in better soundproofing and I agree. ushuaïa, who've had similar issues in the past, have put up some soundproofing walls a few years ago and they help. I can still hear their music (and sometimes I can ID their tunes as well actually), but it's definitely less loud nowadays what's coming to the villages nearby. plus...do you genuinely think ushuaïa decided deliberately to stop at 11pm in the last 'proper' season? they simply knew they had to do something to avoid further problems. this year they did go until midnight, but palmarama was never as big and loud as any normal ushuaïa night. but here's the big difference - from maximum midnight onwards, no club noise comes from out from playa d'en bossa anymore. the same can't be said for dc10.

then let's go into detail a little more about some of the comments made. the food bank lines last winter weren't long because the clubs didn't open, that happened because 2020 our tourist season was about 8 weeks long only.

now, seeing this summer and how it panned out, it's absolutely true that a certain part of the local population were hoping, and some actually fully believing, that this would be 'finally' the year when the change started and clubs wouldn't open at all anymore. there are some really delusional people here on the island that really don't understand how tourism works and that are wishing the 70s back when the touristic pressure of the island was very small and it was all very easygoing and no massive parties around anywhere yet.

the thing is, ibiza has actually had a really good summer overall, despite the clubs being closed. people came, people were active, they all rented a car (if they could get one) and some sectors (restaurants, boat charters, activity operators) have had their best year EVER. it's totally logical, hardly anyone was hungover and so everyone was up at a decent time and did things. seeing this has given the the anti-clubbing brigade wings and they think that this summer reflects the new reality here and that things could just continue like that forever from now onwards. but as I said, personally I think it's delusional and those people don't wanna see that the nightlife definitely helped greatly to put ibiza in the place where it is now.

it's true that last year, and especially this year, when travelling started to get easier, a lot of people did come here, even with the clubs closed. also a lot of wealthy people have rented homes/villas for the entire summer (digital nomads with a good income), preferring to be away from a big city and in nice surroundings. but what a lot of the anti-clubbing brigade don't understand is that if suddenly ibiza's tourism board would say 'OK this is it, ibiza's clubs will never open again', the amount of people a) not coming on holiday here anymore, b) a lot of villa/house owners selling their houses because they miss that part of ibiza would be massive. the anti clubbing brigade don't understand that it's this USP is what enables businesses like hotels and restaurants to charge crazy prices and that the island's entire tourism concept would implode like a house of cards if the clubs were gone suddenly. some people really believe that what we've seen this year would work long term.

on the other hand, the hardcore clubbers also need to be realistic and see that we are now paying for what's been done in the last two decades, not just within the clubbing industry, but generally on the island. firstly, if we look back, a lot of people within the industry agree that things like the weekly music on sessions until 11am at amnesia didn't help. also, and that's over 10 years ago already now, but does anyone remember one cocoon closing afterparty where they made you do a treasure hunt all over the island (obviously everyone driving in a very questionable state) before you finally got told the actual location of the afters? let's face the facts, there are a lot of examples where the clubbing industry on the island hasn't done themselves any favours. and up to a certain extent I can even understand some of the critics by the locals.

what needs to be taken into consideration though is that it's not just the clubbing, it's the sheer number of tourists as such which visit ibiza every year (apart from 2020). personally I do feel we'd need a cap on numbers so that the quality of everyone's visit stays on a good level and so that the locals can live a decent life. the problem is again that some of the hardcore anti-clubbing or anti-tourism brigade think it's all the same, if anyone leaves thrash at the es vedrà viewpoint (sadly absolutely disgusting), then for them it's clear it were the clubbers... so if we go back to the glory years when afters were still possible, when regulations weren't as strict, we also have to be aware that back then, there simply were far less people on the island overall. now we've got lots of traffic for months no end, in some parts we've got pollution (people throwing away their rubbish) and the villa parties don't help either. so the wave of 'hate' we get is only partly about the clubbing as such, for many it's the combination of thinking there are too many people here on the island and that it's automatically the clubbers that don't behave well (yeah right).

as for ibiza not being the clubbing mecca anymore...I know I'm repeating myself, but even if it's not the 24/7 party place some people on here got to enjoy around the millennium (or before that), it's still the only place in the world that has a full 5 months clubbing season with a density of parties like no other in the world. and this year has actually shown, that the season can easily be extended until the end of october and I know there are plans to start as early as april next year (but that's 2022 gossip material), so ibiza's clubs are possibly looking at a seven months season next year. where else in the world do you have that? nowhere. mykonos has two and a half months, tulum about the same too (and tulum has a big waste problem too btw so it can't really grow any more). croatia and albania do festivals and that's it. I understand people would love the old ibiza to come back with 24hr parties and no rules no nothing, but as I said, that's about as delusional as some of the anti-clubbing brigade's mindsets.
No requirement for your end of year review now 😂

have a read of my post rob.
Good post. There are always going to be the vocal minority on both ends. Hopefully the folks in charge are level headed enough to see through that and meet in the middle.

Btw, direct flights from NYC to Mallorca starting in June.

What the heck is that place at marina botafoch? Across from ocean beach / corso hotels? It’s going totally off!

I wont have my ice cream at Los valencianos ice cream, Atidnight ,its all shut :zoo bar,Tango..big shout to blag blah bar the only bar along harbor that had 20customers
I was wondering if the few bars in San an may be more lively than ibz harbor..
I thought ibz harbor was lively? End of the season? still 5 more days and out of season Mode .Around midnight nearly everything is close.
Guttes to make à ride for nothing,So enjoying à fresh San Miguel beer from Eroski center, just in front of pirate boat El galeon and el bucanero restaurant..then back to hôtel for à good sleep (lot of private parties but i really dont care ,too expensive).
Good dinner at el rebost de can prat b4 and sunset at cala escondito bar cala conte:ibiza the chill out way is starting.

Last edited:
Dc10 is there since 99 playing music every season ( except 20 ) in the garden, so why are they complaining especially now ? Or there was always problems with dc10? Even in the past? ( lets say 5-10years ago ?) Its only question, i understsnd both sides.
Music in the garden is not very very old . Before this space was a car park and they were party there only for opening and closing ( same as space ) and dc10 was always more of an afternoon party before amnesia ( in cover terrace and discoteca ) the last 10 years it became also a night venue but always inside and if you go back to beginning of 2000’s the cover terrace was actually a real terrace with no roof at all and starting at 8am and closing well before midnight…a bit like space

lot of things has change over the years but dc10 getting in trouble for various reasons it’s something that is everything except new

Music in the garden is not very very old . Before this space was a car park and they were party there only for opening and closing ( same as space ) and dc10 was always more of an afternoon party before amnesia ( in cover terrace and discoteca ) the last 10 years it became also a night venue but always inside and if you go back to beginning of 2000’s the cover terrace was actually a real terrace with no roof at all and starting at 8am and closing well before midnight…a bit like space

lot of things has change over the years but dc10 getting in trouble for various reasons it’s something that is everything except new
But just read after posting the post of Stivi , totally agree .

dc10 will have a banging closing next monday , many people will complain( which can be understandable) but then winter is coming …many months will past
and next year a new story will beginning… with all the club this time .
Cohesion is possible … each side will have to put some effort into it.

I thought this forum was more geared towards tourists tbh, but we all have our opinions.

I didn't frequent here much when I lived in Ibiza.

Regardless, my personal opinion, I'd never live in an area or next to somewhere notoriously noisey and then complain about it, that's not just limited to Ibiza, I wouldn't live anywhere near a nightclub/place where thousands pass though pissed/drugged up multiple times a week.
Maybe this people are living here for decades? 🤔
I love clubbing in ibiza, but I understand perfectly the feeling of these people.

FWIW I don't think it is a crude choice between supporting hardcore clubbing v over my dead body NIMBYS although debates inevitably tend to polarise. I was discussing this with Ibiza 77. There's 2 issues here. One is the clubbing and one is wider tourism. In terms of the first, the issues are largely generational. Many older heads still want the clubbing but miss the more "innocent" era before it became over-brash and over-commercial, when it was more about the records, freaks, musical variety, exotic dancers and not big brands, bland uniformity, unnecessary stages and dickhead narcissism. (there's a reason the likes of Ibiza Past gets mega thousand followers on the socials...that nostalgia is real). But that's all subjective though and I wouldn't expect the kids now to have a clue what I'm on about.

Fundamentally though as mentioned before, the core issue here is less about clubbing and more about overpopulation in peak season and I think the way the island is sold and marketed needs to drastically change. And that means a lot fewer flights. There's also the environmental impact as well, barely mentioned on here, but there's a delicate ecosystem, a huge strain on water, not to mention pollution and global green commitments Spain has to keep. This is why as much as I love clubbing (the right kind) I get so irritated when people don't consider the bigger picture.

FWIW I don't think it is a crude choice between supporting hardcore clubbing v over my dead body NIMBYS although debates inevitably tend to polarise. I was discussing this with Ibiza 77. There's 2 issues here. One is the clubbing and one is wider tourism. In terms of the first, the issues are largely generational. Many older heads still want the clubbing but miss the more "innocent" era before it became over-brash and over-commercial, when it was more about the records, freaks, musical variety, exotic dancers and not big brands, bland uniformity, unnecessary stages and dickhead narcissism. (there's a reason the likes of Ibiza Past gets mega thousand followers on the socials...that nostalgia is real). But that's all subjective though and I wouldn't expect the kids now to have a clue what I'm on about.

Fundamentally though as mentioned before, the core issue here is less about clubbing and more about overpopulation in peak season and I think the way the island is sold and marketed needs to drastically change. And that means a lot fewer flights. There's also the environmental impact as well, barely mentioned on here, but there's a delicate ecosystem, a huge strain on water, not to mention pollution and global green commitments Spain has to keep. This is why as much as I love clubbing (the right kind) I get so irritated when people don't consider the bigger picture.
A very long winded way of saying close down SWAG, but we all understand what you mean....!

Seriously though, some great points raised by a number of people here. It would be very easy to let the island slip into full on 100% tourism, nothing else matters, f*ck the locals mode, but there is a strong identity on Ibiza, one that was there many years before any of us had even heard Higher State of Consciousness. This identity needs to be protected, and the Ibenicos(spelling?) need to be respected along with their well established way of life. There is a fine balance between necessary tourism and overtourism, and I think these last 2 years have highlighted the extremes.

Couple of last points here- the minority always shouts the loudest on both sides, whereas the silent majority do find it hard to get heard, so there are a LOT of people who haven't raised a view at all.

Finally, please remember the unofficial Spotlight mantra- don't be a dick

Amen

everyone's definition of a dick is different though. I consider a fair % of this forum to be total dicks and I'm sure each of them would return the compliment... the point is we all project different (often competing) fantasies on to this small island when 99% of us don't even live on it. It's like J-M said yesterday, who the fk are these people living miles away adjudicating the island's future? it's an almost colonial mindset which mass tourism has created. it's complete bollocks isn't it. what the fk do any of us know about anything when we don't even live there?

May we can be back to the topic,if dont minds?
Its turning into fight between people with différent minds...
Maybe à post for à long debate about politics n so on?Développent of ibiza?..bah Blah BLAH
@Nobbie Q r in trouble, silence is Gold sometimes..

We went back to pacha (car parked there) after walk to the harbor to See NOTHING as it feels like ghostown.
That sad feeling when seeing only one taxi waiting in front of closed pacha ...
What is the reason that all bars restaurants shut midnight at the harbor?
Lively midday to 10pm?

Maybe à post for à long debate about politics n so on?Développent of ibiza?..bah Blah BLAH

We went back to pacha (car parked there) after walk to the harbor to See NOTHING as it feels like ghostown.
Lively midday to 10pm?
Reason is : Not enough customers , maybe. Cooltoure was Open until 0.00 or something ( cannot remember )

Maybe this people are living here for decades? 🤔
I love clubbing in ibiza, but I understand perfectly the feeling of these people.
Maybe they do, maybe they don't, we'll never know. I don't know what it's like for them and I don't know if DC10 are taking the piss now.

What I do know is, I personally, couldn't put up with that for decades. I always thought DC10 was far away enough to not cause issues, evidently I am incorrect.

I think a large % of people here love clubbing in Ibiza but I don't think we can pick and choose when music levels are acceptable on the clubbing/residents side of things. However, I think we can all agree we all want to be able to enjoy Ibiza freely, without disrupting those who don't want to be disrupted.

Lively midday to 10pm?

Could just be that as there are very few night time events on currently people are just going out earlier and finishing earlier when its warmer?

A lot of people have just written off going clubbing so are more into the daytime coffee, lunch, quiet drinks scene. Ibiza Town was certainly busy in an afternoon last week when I went.

Salinas is Well frequented. Looks like early season in a normal year. Nice
Sa Trinxa a little calm , but will change at the evening. People are different to Summer ( older , more locals )
You can sit down at Sa Trinxa without asking for a table.Music is liw ( No House until now )

Beach busy for sure ,we went to cala conte
Ses Roques the cheap restaurant closed
S illa d'en bosc quiet full,i didnt havec à look to sunset ashram sunset apart hearing the sound of good music there
Cala escondita full,no cocktail, à fresh San Miguel beer can from eroski center save the day.
Es rebost de can prat qo good, we test the 25€ menu ,the Qrcode card didnt work,i had a screenshots from their IG...
So à cheap day spending money just for restaurant 25€
Café cervantes my spot for menu del dia is closed for personal reasons,neighbour Benitez is still Nice.
Lot of people landing for amnesia closing /Dc10 closing from my contacts ,Uk,spain french...
I ve succeeded to have the button paypal for my spotlight Éden Tix tonight...bad signal explaining i havent yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back