impressions & observations from ibiza 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m assuming neighbors can only hear the music being played in the garden? What do they want, music to stop earlier or for no music at all to be played outside?

I’d also love to see a video of what it sounds like inside the homes of these people that complain. Can’t imagine it being that bad, doesn’t even seem that loud in the parking lot of DC10. Can’t DC10 just build a brick wall around the place to help contain the sound a bit better? Seems like some sort of compromise is there, unless the neighbors really are that whiny, which might be the case.

Surely DC10 couldve invested in some soundproof walls/fences or structures to help keep the noise contained more during pandemic off seasons... clearly not arsed about residents and seemingly never have been.

Theres nothing worse than trying to kip/chill and just hearing the bass from the beat, must drive residents insane tbh

.....when the wind blows in the " right " direction, you hear the usuaiha in figueretas. Quite the same with the Destino.... I can understand the residents very well.
I’ve stayed along PDB and Figueretas many times, but have never been able to hear anything so it’s hard for me to imagine that closing windows and putting on some white noise won’t fix the problem. But maybe there are some bad cases where cups are rattling in peoples living rooms. And if that’s the case, if they were there before DC10, then DC10 really should do something. If DC10 was there first, time to invest in earplugs.

ok so...

first off, @Nobbie Q I'm sorry, but some of your posts today are almost as delusional and ignorant as are the opinions of the hardcore anti-tourist and anti-clubbing brigade (more on this in a bit).

let's speak about a few facts.

dc10's noise first - it's what triggered the whole discussion. I live in sant jordi, pretty much exactly 2kms away from dc10. when there's no wind (or worse if the wind comes from the salinas area towards sant jordi / ibiza town), you can indeed hear dc10 very well. in the evenings, when their garden is open, I can often actually ID the tracks they play from our terrace at home. so I have absolutely no doubt that if I can hear the tunes crystal clear, the sound of the boom-boom-boom will travel for another two or three kilometres easily. I personally don't mind as I'm still a clubber, but of course lots of people DO mind (more on that later too). the comparison to the airport is a lame one, the noise of the planes isn't constant. it's 30secs and then quiet again, the bass of any club is ongoing for hours without a break. also, even after midnight, when dc10's garden is closed, you do hear the sound of the terrace or main room travelling. so yeah, people living close by do get a full 12hrs dose they might not want.

a few posts further up @Bucko08 said the venue could have invested in better soundproofing and I agree. ushuaïa, who've had similar issues in the past, have put up some soundproofing walls a few years ago and they help. I can still hear their music (and sometimes I can ID their tunes as well actually), but it's definitely less loud nowadays what's coming to the villages nearby. plus...do you genuinely think ushuaïa decided deliberately to stop at 11pm in the last 'proper' season? they simply knew they had to do something to avoid further problems. this year they did go until midnight, but palmarama was never as big and loud as any normal ushuaïa night. but here's the big difference - from maximum midnight onwards, no club noise comes from out from playa d'en bossa anymore. the same can't be said for dc10.

then let's go into detail a little more about some of the comments made. the food bank lines last winter weren't long because the clubs didn't open, that happened because 2020 our tourist season was about 8 weeks long only.

now, seeing this summer and how it panned out, it's absolutely true that a certain part of the local population were hoping, and some actually fully believing, that this would be 'finally' the year when the change started and clubs wouldn't open at all anymore. there are some really delusional people here on the island that really don't understand how tourism works and that are wishing the 70s back when the touristic pressure of the island was very small and it was all very easygoing and no massive parties around anywhere yet.

the thing is, ibiza has actually had a really good summer overall, despite the clubs being closed. people came, people were active, they all rented a car (if they could get one) and some sectors (restaurants, boat charters, activity operators) have had their best year EVER. it's totally logical, hardly anyone was hungover and so everyone was up at a decent time and did things. seeing this has given the the anti-clubbing brigade wings and they think that this summer reflects the new reality here and that things could just continue like that forever from now onwards. but as I said, personally I think it's delusional and those people don't wanna see that the nightlife definitely helped greatly to put ibiza in the place where it is now.

it's true that last year, and especially this year, when travelling started to get easier, a lot of people did come here, even with the clubs closed. also a lot of wealthy people have rented homes/villas for the entire summer (digital nomads with a good income), preferring to be away from a big city and in nice surroundings. but what a lot of the anti-clubbing brigade don't understand is that if suddenly ibiza's tourism board would say 'OK this is it, ibiza's clubs will never open again', the amount of people a) not coming on holiday here anymore, b) a lot of villa/house owners selling their houses because they miss that part of ibiza would be massive. the anti clubbing brigade don't understand that it's this USP is what enables businesses like hotels and restaurants to charge crazy prices and that the island's entire tourism concept would implode like a house of cards if the clubs were gone suddenly. some people really believe that what we've seen this year would work long term.

on the other hand, the hardcore clubbers also need to be realistic and see that we are now paying for what's been done in the last two decades, not just within the clubbing industry, but generally on the island. firstly, if we look back, a lot of people within the industry agree that things like the weekly music on sessions until 11am at amnesia didn't help. also, and that's over 10 years ago already now, but does anyone remember one cocoon closing afterparty where they made you do a treasure hunt all over the island (obviously everyone driving in a very questionable state) before you finally got told the actual location of the afters? let's face the facts, there are a lot of examples where the clubbing industry on the island hasn't done themselves any favours. and up to a certain extent I can even understand some of the critics by the locals.

what needs to be taken into consideration though is that it's not just the clubbing, it's the sheer number of tourists as such which visit ibiza every year (apart from 2020). personally I do feel we'd need a cap on numbers so that the quality of everyone's visit stays on a good level and so that the locals can live a decent life. the problem is again that some of the hardcore anti-clubbing or anti-tourism brigade think it's all the same, if anyone leaves thrash at the es vedrà viewpoint (sadly absolutely disgusting), then for them it's clear it were the clubbers... so if we go back to the glory years when afters were still possible, when regulations weren't as strict, we also have to be aware that back then, there simply were far less people on the island overall. now we've got lots of traffic for months no end, in some parts we've got pollution (people throwing away their rubbish) and the villa parties don't help either. so the wave of 'hate' we get is only partly about the clubbing as such, for many it's the combination of thinking there are too many people here on the island and that it's automatically the clubbers that don't behave well (yeah right).

as for ibiza not being the clubbing mecca anymore...I know I'm repeating myself, but even if it's not the 24/7 party place some people on here got to enjoy around the millennium (or before that), it's still the only place in the world that has a full 5 months clubbing season with a density of parties like no other in the world. and this year has actually shown, that the season can easily be extended until the end of october and I know there are plans to start as early as april next year (but that's 2022 gossip material), so ibiza's clubs are possibly looking at a seven months season next year. where else in the world do you have that? nowhere. mykonos has two and a half months, tulum about the same too (and tulum has a big waste problem too btw so it can't really grow any more). croatia and albania do festivals and that's it. I understand people would love the old ibiza to come back with 24hr parties and no rules no nothing, but as I said, that's about as delusional as some of the anti-clubbing brigade's mindsets.

I’ve stayed along PDB and Figueretas many times, but have never been able to hear anything so it’s hard for me to imagine that closing windows and putting on some white noise won’t fix the problem. But maybe there are some bad cases where cups are rattling in peoples living rooms. And if that’s the case, if they were there before DC10, then DC10 really should do something. If DC10 was there first, time to invest in earplugs.

have a read of my post rob.

@stivi thanks for your thorough explanation, but I still think 3 Mondays of outdoor noise is acceptable considering how there was nothing else going on for the rest of the season.

It reminds me of Toronto where recently we had Black Coffee and Deadmau5 perform at an outdoor venue and although everything shut off at 11 the residents still complained about the noise, and the events were on Friday too. I feel even if Circo Loco was on weekends these residents would still complain! Granted this has been going on for years now, but cut these venues some slack.

Maybe I was going far fetched with the food bank comment but almost all of Ibiza's economy is dependent on tourism so I do have a say in this.

ok so...

first off, @Nobbie Q I'm sorry, but some of your posts today are almost as delusional and ignorant as are the opinions of the hardcore anti-tourist and anti-clubbing brigade (more on this in a bit).

dc10's noise first - it's what triggered the whole discussion. I live in sant jordi, pretty much exactly 2kms away from dc10. when there's no wind (or worse if the wind comes from the salinas area towards sant jordi / ibiza town), you can indeed hear dc10 very well. in the evenings, when their garden is open, I can often actually ID the tracks they play from our terrace at home. so I have absolutely no doubt that if I can hear the tunes crystal clear, the sound of the boom-boom-boom will travel for another two or three kilometres easily. I personally don't mind as I'm still a clubber, but of course lots of people DO mind (more on that later too). the comparison to the airport is a lame one, the noise of the planes isn't constant. it's 30secs and then quiet again, the bass of any club is ongoing for hours without a break. also, even after midnight, when dc10's garden is closed, you do hear the sound of the terrace or main room travelling. so yeah, people living close by do get a full 12hrs dose they might not want.

a few posts further up @Bucko08 said the venue could have invested in better soundproofing and I agree. ushuaïa, who've had similar issues in the past, have put up some soundproofing walls a few years ago and they help. I can still hear their music (and sometimes I can ID their tunes as well actually), but it's definitely less loud nowadays what's coming to the villages nearby. plus...do you genuinely think ushuaïa decided deliberately to stop at 11pm in the last 'proper' season? they simply knew they had to do something to avoid further problems. this year they did go until midnight, but palmarama was never as big and loud as any normal ushuaïa night. but here's the big difference - from maximum midnight onwards, no club noise comes from out from playa d'en bossa anymore. the same can't be said for dc10.

then let's go into detail a little more about some of the comments made. the food bank lines last winter weren't long because the clubs didn't open, that happened because 2020 our tourist season was about 8 weeks long only.

now, seeing this summer and how it panned out, it's absolutely true that a certain part of the local population were hoping, and some actually fully believing, that this would be 'finally' the year when the change started and clubs wouldn't open at all anymore. there are some really delusional people here on the island that really don't understand how tourism works and that are wishing the 70s back when the touristic pressure of the island was very small and it was all very easygoing and no massive parties around anywhere yet.

the thing is, ibiza has actually had a really good summer overall, despite the clubs being closed. people came, people were active, they all rented a car (if they could get one) and some sectors (restaurants, boat charters, activity operators) have had their best year EVER. it's totally logical, hardly anyone was hungover and so everyone was up at a decent time and did things. seeing this has given the the anti-clubbing brigade wings and they think that this summer reflects the new reality here and that things could just continue like that forever from now onwards. but as I said, personally I think it's delusional and those people don't wanna see that the nightlife definitely helped greatly to put ibiza in the place where it is now.

it's true that last year, and especially this year, when travelling started to get easier, a lot of people did come here, even with the clubs closed. also a lot of wealthy people have rented homes/villas for the entire summer (digital nomads with a good income), preferring to be away from a big city and in nice surroundings. but what a lot of the anti-clubbing brigade don't understand is that if suddenly ibiza's tourism board would say 'OK this is it, ibiza's clubs will never open again', the amount of people a) not coming on holiday here anymore, b) a lot of villa/house owners selling their houses because they miss that part of ibiza would be massive. the anti clubbing brigade don't understand that it's this USP is what enables businesses like hotels and restaurants to charge crazy prices and that the island's entire tourism concept would implode like a house of cards if the clubs were gone suddenly. some people really believe that what we've seen this year would work long term.

on the other hand, the hardcore clubbers also need to be realistic and see that we are now paying for what's been done in the last two decades, not just within the clubbing industry, but generally on the island. firstly, if we look back, a lot of people within the industry agree that things like the weekly music on sessions until 11am at amnesia didn't help. also, and that's over 10 years ago already now, but does anyone remember one cocoon closing afterparty where they made you do a treasure hunt all over the island (obviously everyone driving in a very questionable state) before you finally got told the actual location of the afters? let's face the facts, there are a lot of examples where the clubbing industry on the island hasn't done themselves any favours. and up to a certain extent I can even understand some of the critics by the locals.

what needs to be taken into consideration though is that it's not just the clubbing, it's the sheer number of tourists as such which visit ibiza every year (apart from 2020). personally I do feel we'd need a cap on numbers so that the quality of everyone's visit stays on a good level and so that the locals can live a decent life. the problem is again that some of the hardcore anti-clubbing or anti-tourism brigade think it's all the same, if anyone leaves thrash at the es vedrà viewpoint (sadly absolutely disgusting), then for them it's clear it were the clubbers... so if we go back to the glory years when afters were still possible, when regulations weren't as strict, we also have to be aware that back then, there simply were far less people on the island overall. now we've got lots of traffic for months no end, in some parts we've got pollution (people throwing away their rubbish) and the villa parties don't help either. so the wave of 'hate' we get is only partly about the clubbing as such, for many it's the combination of thinking there are too many people here on the island and that it's automatically the clubbers that don't behave well (yeah right).

as for ibiza not being the clubbing mecca anymore...I know I'm repeating myself, but even if it's not the 24/7 party place some people on here got to enjoy around the millennium (or before that), it's still the only place in the world that has a full 5 months clubbing season with a density of parties like no other in the world. and this year has actually shown, that the season can easily be extended until the end of october and I know there are plans to start as early as april next year (but that's 2022 gossip material), so ibiza's clubs are possibly looking at a seven months season next year. where else in the world do you have that? nowhere. mykonos has two and a half months, tulum about the same too (and tulum has a big waste problem too btw so it can't really grow any more). croatia and albania do festivals and that's it. I understand people would love the old ibiza to come back with 24hr parties and no rules no nothing, but as I said, that's about as delusional as some of the anti-clubbing brigade's mindsets.
What a great post.
Spot on.
That’s all.

@stivi thanks for your thorough explanation, but I still think 3 Mondays of outdoor noise is acceptable considering how there was nothing else going on for the rest of the season.

It reminds me of Toronto where recently we had Black Coffee and Deadmau5 perform at an outdoor venue and although everything shut off at 11 the residents still complained about the noise, and the events were on Friday too. I feel even if Circo Loco was on weekends these residents would still complain! Granted this has been going on for years now, but cut these venues some slack.

Maybe I was going far fetched with the food bank comment but almost all of Ibiza's economy is dependent on tourism so I do have a say in this.

I understand that this is your view and I think a lot of here would share it. but for those that enjoyed this very different season and had hopes it would stay like this forever, it's the 'nightmare returning'. all about perception eh.

of course ibiza is dependant on tourism, no one discusses that. the discussion starts when you talk about how much and what sort of tourism...

also, @McRackin isn't actually against clubbing lol!

also, @McRackin isn't actually against clubbing lol!
giphy.gif

I can add another thought. when I started coming to ibiza, the clubbing season only started at the end of may (space opening) and already ended at the end of september (space closing). amnesia only opened at the start of june and closed at the end of september.

20 years later the clubbing season has extended quite a bit. it's obvious that not everyone is thrilled by that. clubbing does help the island generally, but lots of people just don't want to see that.

Had a lovely swim at Cala Jondal today with Smart Charter. Six boats in tandem and live streamed on Ibiza Global Radio with Dazzla DJing. Lots of fun

Was like a late June day weather wise and even the air is warm this evening
I was listening to this stream in the car! Sounded brilliant!!

I love reading reviews from people who live 10,000 km from Ibiza and come there two weeks a year who explain to people living on the island for generations how they should live and manage tourism.
Don't change anything guys
I thought this forum was more geared towards tourists tbh, but we all have our opinions.

I didn't frequent here much when I lived in Ibiza.

Regardless, my personal opinion, I'd never live in an area or next to somewhere notoriously noisey and then complain about it, that's not just limited to Ibiza, I wouldn't live anywhere near a nightclub/place where thousands pass though pissed/drugged up multiple times a week.

Being here for the past week has shown me how possible it is for the season and economy to be extended for everyone’s benefit (imagine closings basically going into November 3 years ago?) - one possible positive outcome from Covid!!!)… Appreciate it’s a strange situation) I won’t comment on what locals / residents think about clubs as I am not from here and would never involve myself in another countries politics (although would respect them). All l will say is that there is superb weather, great hospitality and lovely little boogies here at the moment….more to come I hope!

ok so...

@stivi this is such a well written and insightful post with balanced view points mate. I think there’s a ton of sense in it. Out of interest, are the locals in favour of dialogue with the clubs/promoters to try and reach some sort of balance that brings both the benefits of the “ new type of tourist “ whilst ensuring the clubbing sector and its clear contribution to the islands economy remains a draw?

@stivi this is such a well written and insightful post with balanced view points mate. I think there’s a ton of sense in it. Out of interest, are the locals in favour of dialogue with the clubs/promoters to try and reach some sort of balance that brings both the benefits of the “ new type of tourist “ whilst ensuring the clubbing sector and its clear contribution to the islands economy remains a draw?

thanks.

there isn't one common line of thought or opinion within the locals and that's where the issue starts. there are a lot of locals that either have been clubbers when they were young, or are simply well aware that it is the island's USP (lots of islands in the mediterranean have great beaches, lovely food, superb climate...) and so they accept that it's part of the game here. but there are also lots of people here (and they are very vocal) that, especially due to what I've explained further up about what's happened in the past two decades (tourism numbers going silly, clubbing also growing and 'growing outside soundproof clubs' --> villa parties, ushuaïa, destino etc...) have turned REALLY REALLY sour in regards to nightlife.

on a island council level I do think they've got this level of clarity - I've said it on here last winter, in an interview that came out almost a year ago, after the absolute non-season that was 2020, the island's council president clearly admitted we need clubbing, after years of trying to push anything but clubbing. they know we need it so ibiza functions the way it does. but a lot of the people calling the police because they can't sleep because of the noise of dc10 (or any other venue for that matter), they either don't see that or they simply don't care.

it is a tricky subject and I felt I had to jump in here today to explain a few things.

Being here for the past week has shown me how possible it is for the season and economy to be extended for everyone’s benefit (imagine closings basically going into November 3 years ago?) - one possible positive outcome from Covid!!!)…
TBF, they were thinking of extended the season in 2020 before Covid hit, but now they can see it's maybe possible

Depending on the wind, you could definitely hear Ushuaïa in Figueretas, in fact I think I could actually hear DC10 bass noise last Monday unless someone was having a quite loud party nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back