I'm back/influential albums decor

I would say it was one of the most vital albums of the last decade - basically kick-starting the revival of nu-yorican druggy disco-infused house in the early 2000s or nu-disco / future disco or whatever the lazy admen want to call it. (everything must have a name! :rolleyes: ) At times it's loungey like 'atmospherique' , at others it unleashes dancefloor semtex particularly in the case of the now-classic 'miura' which always generates pandemonium, a veritable call to arms, a statement of intent by any DJ at the start of a set. and then you've got intriguing tracks like 'orange alert' which I remember sounded so fresh at clubs like 333 in the early 00s when interesting new sounds were starting to emerge from the embers of electroclash. For these reasons alone, I commend it to the house.

Turns out I have this already.

Agree it's a fantastic album. 8)

(but)

There isn't much variation on the style from start to finish - It's more a selection of brilliantly produced tracks than an album masterpiece.

these three have been hanging from one of my walls for many years.....

Jane%27s_Addiction_album.jpg

NothingsShocking.jpg

Jane%27s_Addiction-Ritual_de_lo_Habitual.jpg

I'm finding this exercise really hard because I really don't have an album mentality at all

flash and the pan, carly simon, new order, the clash, giorgio moroder, kelley polar, sh*t robot, the !!!, Flowered Up, Kings of Convenience, St Etienne, One Dove, The Shamen, Mavis, Burt Bacharach, the disposable heroes of hiphoprisy, the beloved, layo & bushwacka, grace jones, kid creole and the coconuts, ten city, America, the isley brothers, madness, bent, two lone swordsmen, serge gainsbourg, fpi project, lil louis, chris fcking rea...

ALL made great tunes, but I don't associate any of them with albums I would want to get. even grace jones nightclubbing is basically 4 tracks.

I'm finding this exercise really hard because I really don't have an album mentality at all

ALL made great tunes, but I don't associate any of them with albums I would want to get. even grace jones nightclubbing is basically 4 tracks.

I have to say I do still like the concept of an 'album' as opposed to just buying tracks here and there. Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, The Streets, Primal Scream, Burial, Spiritualized, Leftfield, Suede, etc have all made works that I want to listen to as a whole. In fact, many good/great albums have tracks that you need to listen to in context to properly 'get'.

If artists are releasing albums that only have 3 or 4 decent tunes on them, you have to ask what's going on.

The reason Itunes and MP3 are so popular is that artist put out crap albums. Today you but a CD and wonder if the same artist did the whole thing. The songs go from sugar to ****e My favorite album Prince or symbol Sign of the times

I've been having this debate with myself... Sign "O" is an exceptional album - no doubt about that.

Prince does get a bit self indulgent in places though which makes it hard to listen to the whole album in one sitting. I think I prefer Lovesexy for this reason - though that changes by the day.

Stevie's "Songs in the key..." is a great example. It's a double album and the reissue has over 20 tracks on it. Strangely it flows really well and there's not a single duff track. :eek:

I've been having this debate with myself... Sign "O" is an exceptional album - no doubt about that.

Prince does get a bit self indulgent in places though which makes it hard to listen to the whole album in one sitting. I think I prefer Lovesexy for this reason - though that changes by the day.

Stevie's "Songs in the key..." is a great example. It's a double album and the reissue has over 20 tracks on it. Strangely it flows really well and there's not a single duff track. :eek:

That is a great album from Stevie. Not many artisit can pull off a double album without a filler track or two but Mr Wonder can. I listen to the Earth, Wind and Fire collection all the way that is nice also.

The reason Itunes and MP3 are so popular is that artist put out crap albums. Today you but a CD and wonder if the same artist did the whole thing. The songs go from sugar to ****e

That and also perhaps the kids just don't have patience for albums and only want the tune they heard on the radio or saw on MTV.

I listen to a lot of stuff because (a) I like music and (b) I write reviews for a music website. Even I only hear a max of 3 albums a year which i'll want to listen to 5 years down a line in their full form, but a proper decent album - the sort you'll always want to hear from start to finish - is a joy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back