I'm back/influential albums decor

I deleted my post because as soon as I posted it I thought, this thread is about seminal album artwork rather than the music but then when I deleted it, it occured to me I shouldn't have deleted it, as you are discussing the music too. At least you preserved a small chunk of my ramblings for posterity!
i can undelete it, if you want?

Well imo you should funk off Dark side of the Moon for Wish you were here with its 18 min of Shine on you Crazy Diamond

http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/wywh200.jpg
wywh200.jpg

Plus as good as Dark side is it very cliché you will be wearing a t shirt of it hanging around goth bars in Camden in no time ;)

Ha! Great call. (I already have the mug. :oops: :lol:)

This is more of a tribute to my Dad though. I grew up listening to 'Dark Side...' and the ticking clocks at the start invoke loads of fond memories of childhood.

the last album I really loved and still frequently return to is probably quiet village 'silent movie'

brilliant use of samples, blissful stoner electronica. 100% balearic.

Have had many a Balearic moment to Simon & Garfunkel's 'Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme' too.

Should I admit to that? :oops:

Have had many a Balearic moment to Simon & Garfunkel's 'Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme' too.

Should I admit to that? :oops:

I think you can probably admit to liking anything as the balearic tag is your 'get out of jail' card :lol:

Ha! Great call. (I already have the mug. :oops: :lol:)

This is more of a tribute to my Dad though. I grew up listening to 'Dark Side...' and the ticking clocks at the start invoke loads of fond memories of childhood.

Thats fair enough mate. My Dad Played Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash on repeat and evey childhood memory i have is linked to them in some way or another so i like than loads more that i should probably admit ;)

I disagree...I'd proudly hang a bland looking Trax release on my wall. The more DiY looking the better. It speaks volumes about the era.

have you seen some of the artwork i'm talking about???

not cool

trax record = cool

this ....

2430631964_88a378c025.jpg

2429816901_d66df45b20.jpg

2433662502_03b1012cdf.jpg

2430629530_2f750e1d65.jpg

most definitely NOT COOL

Not an exciting cover or widely considerd a classic but this album had daily play throughout my teens

969275297_12fbf599c4.jpg

have you seen some of the artwork i'm talking about???

not cool

trax record = cool

this ....

2430631964_88a378c025.jpg

2429816901_d66df45b20.jpg

2433662502_03b1012cdf.jpg

2430629530_2f750e1d65.jpg

most definitely NOT COOL

:)))) @ jizz

The above doesn't surprise me though (and I might get crucified for this sweeping statement)...but the block 3d fonts, gangsta posturing and disproportionate wealth as a success indicator is a true representation of what male dominated (mysogynist?) American hip hop stood for in the 90s (in most cases).

Surely the above album covers and the music behind them are inseparable?

* plus the rave equivalent of poorly designed space age botched jobs from the same era are ridiculously cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess, but I was meaning more.... actually it really doesn't matter. I was only really being daft with my comment about the mid-90s hip hop albums to be honest :lol: The thought of someone framing the likes of the above in arty 12" covers frames around their living room tickled me.

This thread should be about good artwork, and spunky music.

:)))) @ jizz

The above doesn't surprise me though (and I might get crucified for this sweeping statement)...but the block 3d fonts, gangsta posturing and disproportionate wealth as a success indicator is a true representation of what male dominated (mysogynist?) American hip hop stood for in the 90s (in most cases).

Surely the above album covers and the music behind them are inseparable?

* plus the rave equivalent of poorly designed space age botched jobs from the same era are ridiculously cool.

hiphop ate itself some time ago. Of course, there may still be some intellectual rappers still making their presence felt on gilles peterson with their 25 fervent disciples at plastic people but fundamentally there is nothing there now with the raw energy of the 80s. Time will tell whether the emerging 'beats' scene in London will offer anything new to the table, but it's all too niche and fragmented as a scene at the moment. Hiphop in the UK is in a pretty poor shape - although, wasn't it always so?

he had the right idea >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkC45z4UXVc :D

firstly, doesnt the fact that you are excluding radiohead and beatles make you the nazi?

secondly are you wanting albums with great covers regardless of their musical content or great/important albums??

1. Yes - that's exactly what I meant.

2. Just albums that mean a lot to me. (for the most part, musically but in some cases to remind me of an era)

Another:

COIL - Scatology

Amazing group but again, not the kind of album cover you can proudly hang on your wall. :lol:

Like the selections on here, some favourites from my collection - using a balance between artwork and music

Galliano : Joyful Noise unto the Creator
images

Digable Planets - Blowout Comb

album-blowout-comb.jpg

Back