I'm back/influential albums decor

Robder

Hollins!

I'm back after a month-long social networking hiatus (albeit a day early because I'm beached on the sofa with a sore throat and mouth ulcers - ughhh).

Conclusion = These guys are right:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/22/social-networking-cyber-scepticism-twitter

Hope we're all well (& a belated happy new year)...and how gooooood are those Amnesia vids which have been surfacing? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Am faced with the fun task of decorating my living room wall with seminal albums and have 18 frames set aside for the purpose.

had so much fun choosing I thought you might want to add suggestions. Expect to be torn to shreds by a music Nazi though. :lol: ;)

Please don't even think of suggesting Radiohead and you'll notice my deliberate intent to completely ignore the Beatles and Elvis.

Soooo, in no particular order:

1. Incognito - Jazz Funk
2. Grace Jones - Island Life
3. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
4. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
5. Madonna - Erotica
6. Masters at Work present Nuyorican Soul
7. Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
8. Prince - Sign "O" the times
9. Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
10. Masters at Work - Masterworks
11. Kraftwerk - Man Machine
12. Primal Scream - Screamadelica (hmmm not sure about this one - bit of a cliche)
13. The Cure - Disintegration
14. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the key of life
15. Aphex Twin - Selected ambient works (Can't bear to choose the Richard D James album because the cover creeps me out too much :lol:)
16. The Smiths - Meat is murder
17. James Brown - In the Jungle Groove
18. Funkadelic - Standing on the verge of getting it on

Hollins!

I'm back after a month-long social networking hiatus (albeit a day early because I'm beached on the sofa with a sore throat and mouth ulcers - ughhh).

Conclusion = These guys are right:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/22/social-networking-cyber-scepticism-twitter

Hope we're all well (& a belated happy new year)...and how gooooood are those Amnesia vids which have been surfacing? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Am faced with the fun task of decorating my living room wall with seminal albums and have 18 frames set aside for the purpose.

had so much fun choosing I thought you might want to add suggestions. Expect to be torn to shreds by a music Nazi though. :lol: ;)

Please don't even think of suggesting Radiohead and you'll notice my deliberate intent to completely ignore the Beatles and Elvis.

Soooo, in no particular order:

1. Incognito - Jazz Funk
2. Grace Jones - Island Life
3. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
4. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
5. Madonna - Erotica
6. Masters at Work present Nuyorican Soul
7. Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
8. Prince - Sign "O" the times
9. Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
10. Masters at Work - Masterworks
11. Kraftwerk - Man Machine
12. Primal Scream - Screamadelica (hmmm not sure about this one - bit of a cliche)
13. The Cure - Disintegration
14. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the key of life
15. Aphex Twin - Selected ambient works (Can't bear to choose the Richard D James album because the cover creeps me out too much :lol:)
16. The Smiths - Meat is murder
17. James Brown - In the Jungle Groove
18. Funkadelic - Standing on the verge of getting it on

Ha ha pre-empted my be controversial & pick inrainbows instead of ok computer suggestion!

Assume sigur ros is off the menu then, aegitis byrnum looks good.

Daft Punk – Alive
Jay Z – the blueprint
Massive Attack – whats the one with unfinished on?
Oasis – defo maybe
REM – fables of the reconstruction
Levellers – Levelling the land
James – gold mother
Stone roses – stone roses

Like the middle of the central reservation in the middle of the road…

Yup stone roses are a definite contender. As is new order - technique.

The rest whilst reeeeally famous (and exceptional in some cases - oasis excluded of course, shall ignore that!) aren't necessarily ground breaking and genre defining (are they?)

Please disagree, I want a sparring partner! ;-))

Art of noise Below the waste

Depeche Mode- Construction time again

You could trade out James brown and the Smiths

The others on your list are fine,

Yeah, or that. You'd be kinda screwed if you went with my idea and your 18 favourite albums were mid-nineties Gangsta rap albums done on ms paint.

How about some Iron Maiden mate they always had great covers

AC/DC - Back in Black

The Beatles - The White Album

;)

why is madonna erotica seminal? she never pioneered anything - her entire career has been spent poaching from the underground and rehashing it for the woolworths classes. a bit of grunting here, some cone tits there - ooh mail on sunday is scandalised. Job done. Great publicity, just a shame there were no tunes on erotica . deeper and deeper.... into the hole of mediocrity.

:lol:

It's not.

But this list is entirely subjective.

Whilst the woman isn't a classical musician or innovator in her own right she does maintain creative control over the end product and writes her own lyrics.

She's not a record company gimp (she owned her own offshoot label during the recording) and above all, this was 1992 - it was a big thing for any woman to be putting out sexualised material for her own gain.

Many people thought she was a silly old tart - I thought going public about sexual fantasies for her own enjoyment was a bold move. This album wasn't particularly pop driven and sold less than most of her other releases put together. Plus as an added bonus, I quite liked the deep bass and sleepy piano riffs on Secret Garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-CTLbe8zc 8)

It was a culturally seminal album - and I also hated Deeper and Deeper. *vomit*

I deleted my post because as soon as I posted it I thought, this thread is about seminal album artwork rather than the music but then when I deleted it, it occured to me I shouldn't have deleted it, as you are discussing the music too. At least you preserved a small chunk of my ramblings for posterity!

am struggling to think of any albums today. All I have on my wall are 12inch singles! :lol:

Yes - fook artwork.

This is about music - and anyone with an opinion deserves to be heard.

Most of those titles do have great covers anyway (note Miles Davis and anything Funkadelic 8))

Yeah, or that. You'd be kinda screwed if you went with my idea and your 18 favourite albums were mid-nineties Gangsta rap albums done on ms paint.

I disagree...I'd proudly hang a bland looking Trax release on my wall. The more DiY looking the better. It speaks volumes about the era.

I thought the first 2 Streets albums were quite important in influencing a post-hiphop, post-garage narrative for young (sub)urban England. They weren't quite rap and they weren't quite poetry but they did tap into the conscience of a lot of people. He nailed the nihilism and despair (and occasional humour) of growing up in the cesspit that is modern Britan.

Well imo you should funk off Dark side of the Moon for Wish you were here with its 18 min of Shine on you Crazy Diamond

http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/wywh200.jpg
wywh200.jpg

Plus as good as Dark side is it very cliché you will be wearing a t shirt of it hanging around goth bars in Camden in no time ;)

another album I still cane to bits

pet shop boys 'introspective'

stone cold genius fusing a pop aesthetic, brilliant wit / innuendo and thumping acid house into what I consider their finest work

you were always on my mind, you were always........ in my house!!

I thought the first 2 Streets albums were quite important in influencing a post-hiphop, post-garage narrative for young (sub)urban England. They weren't quite rap and they weren't quite poetry but they did tap into the conscience of a lot of people. He nailed the nihilism and despair (and occasional humour) of growing up in the cesspit that is modern Britan.

Original pirate material is soaked in memories of Thailand for me. Loved the gnarlyness of that album.

It's definitely not a 'fave of all time' though.

I used to make the mistake of buying an album on the back of one brilliant single only to find the rest was terrible

eg Sebastien Tellier released the simply amazing 'la ritournelle' around 2004 and I rushed out to get the 'politics' LP and discovered it was er not very good

Back