Ibiza, where is your essence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with him about the 'casta' - essentially Spain is still a feudal state run by a mafia - a few rich families and that needs to change. The problem is there's about 30-40% of Spain which is always rightwing and they will block anything whether on social policy or on the Catalan issue. so the bullshit continues

Ibiza was better when I was younger :eek:

if you mean politically, I dunno, there has always been corruption and I don't think many people really miss the years of dictatorship (My family certainly don't - people went to jail for their beliefs. you would have to be well into your fifties to remember it). I think what changed in Ibiza's case from the more 'innocent' era is that the tourism industry got more sophisticated and so the amount of money flooding in obviously could not be ignored + the way the internet helped shape the 'brand' on a global level obviously had an impact on how politics is done. And not for the better...

Stuff like this is a real eye opener. I started coming here a few years ago, have some amazing memories, renewed wedding vows etc. I never knew or turned a blind eye to homelessness, such a poor living of standard for residents etc. The beautiful sunsets blind you to a lot it appears

Stuff like this is a real eye opener. I started coming here a few years ago, have some amazing memories, renewed wedding vows etc. I never knew or turned a blind eye to homelessness, such a poor living of standard for residents etc. The beautiful sunsets blind you to a lot it appears

yeah but we need to point out that it just got that bad in the last 3-5 years really (and it keeps getting worse). there is a direct connection to illegal rentals and how pages such as airbnb are promoting that kind of tourism

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/opinion/2017/03/05/nostalgia-zulo/900412.html

"The worst one is the drama of housing, a market that has reached such levels of infamy that is hard to believe"
By the way, this "drama" is mainly being driven by greedy Ibicencos (not rich) whom are very happy to charge 1000€ for a 2 bedroom apartment with no elevator for all year round rent. Besides doing this they don't invest in the properties a single euro.
it's very easy to blame the rich...

By the way, this "drama" is mainly being driven by greedy Ibicencos (not rich) whom are very happy to charge 1000€ for a 2 bedroom apartment with no elevator for all year round rent. Besides doing this they don't invest in the properties a single euro.
it's very easy to blame the rich...

this and lots of people from all over the world that then sublet the places they rent.

it's a tricky one though, especially if you have the space and have no other income... of course you'll be tempted

this is why there is such a crisis in Barcelona and why curbing airbnb in itself isn't going to resolve it

I get the impression Rafa Ruiz isn't anything like as hardline as Ada Colau on this though

if you mean politically, I dunno, there has always been corruption and I don't think many people really miss the years of dictatorship (My family certainly don't - people went to jail for their beliefs. you would have to be well into your fifties to remember it). I think what changed in Ibiza's case from the more 'innocent' era is that the tourism industry got more sophisticated and so the amount of money flooding in obviously could not be ignored + the way the internet helped shape the 'brand' on a global level obviously had an impact on how politics is done. And not for the better...
I meant easy to find cheap apartments for the season,less disco maffia,free into clubs,Space terrace and remember when the bares had music until 4 o'clock.
No need to go to the club's every night,even that we did.:):D

Last edited:
Yeah. Because they create most of the world's problems.

Who shall we blame in ibiza then,the working classes and those on a bare minimum wage who just trying to survive.

Actually yes, the housing situation in Ibiza is created by Ibicencos owning flats inherited or bought and then rented for small fortunes and people from other the owrld (specially from italy) that rent those flat and then subrent them to other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back