Ibiza, where is your essence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balearic joe

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/opinion/2017/02/24/eivissa-isla-amable/898426.html

Years ago, this island welcomed anyone. Without looking at origin, race or creed. No matter their ideas, inclinations, affiliations or phobias. The only thing Ibiza and the Ibiza demanded was tolerance and respect. Freedom but with education, without disturbing the neighbor. But globalization and greed are ending, if they have not finished, with this love story of the island with tolerance. A relationship that we presumed and made the Ibizan flag as we left the precious coastal limits that frame this unique piece of land. Everything changes and not always for good. Ibiza is 'peta' in the world. It has reinvented itself, once again, and has already become the favorite destination of the millonetis. This economic development is also causing a social involution. The island has become a gigantic temporary residence for the privileged and is turning its back on those who really make it possible for the wheel to continue spinning: professionals of all levels leave the island or decide not to come to work because they simply do not care economically . We lost the war the day we assumed that renting a room for 500 euros a month is a bargain. Where is the dignity? Live the evolution.

Is the translation any good @stivi ? Not mine,Google's .

And do you know anything about the man who penned it.

What he says is that every time is more difficult to live here all year round, not that the island is unfriendly with the people who visit us!

Yeah,I understand that. But it's unfriendly to the locals,who see all this money coming in and they can't even have a decent standard of living,it's disgusting. People who claim to love ibiza should be concerned by this.

All those rich f***s on the island,making fortunes should be made to put money into social and affordable housing.

My friend minds some dogs and a cat for lady on the island for about 5 months at her house,free accommodation in winter:). Has to rent during summer months and does enough work to survive all year..luck sod..

only those who own a property are enjoying a certain sense of security

It certainly is a global problem atm. Well the rich property owners are anyway..

Pretty much the same as London. And I was in Cambridge the other day and I couldn't believe the amount of homeless people in the shop door ways.

Property is theft,property is murder.. ~ Proudhon

Last edited:
It's tough. I know people who really struggled for a few years,relationship breakin up,language,schools ect.. they said it was all worth it in the end..

That pretty much confirms ibiza has lost its soul..^^^

"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live" ~ Lucy Parsons.

the whole of spain needs a massive shake up because the corrupt PP will never change anything -
but the middle classes will stick with the devil they know rather than risk everything with Señor Pony Tail

I guess even the islands aren't immune from what is happening on the mainland

I would.

It's a shame that most forum members are probably more concerned with what naff dj will be playing at 'HiUsh' this summer. Keep this thread alive so people can see and understand what life is like for a lot of ibiza real residents..

unrealistic to expect people on this forum to give much of a shit though - holidays are about suspending reality.

+ many of the all-inclusive types won't even be aware they're in Spain

the whole of spain needs a massive shake up because the corrupt PP will never change anything -
but the middle classes will stick with the devil they know rather than risk everything with Señor Pony Tail

I guess even the islands aren't immune from what is happening on the mainland

señor pony tail is the one that makes most sense to me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back