Ibiza- When do we call it a day.. if ever?

sunny_d said:
Ibiza is one of the most beatifull places I have ever visited. Do you not like paella? I think a few indigenous decendants may be a little bit miffed that you describe the culture in such a way too!! Value is perhaps an issue, but try buying a pint of beer in Singapore without your credit card!!

yeah i like paella ok, i ate one just three days ago at Es Boldado looking out across the bay to Es Vedra.

Regardless, if I were going on holiday for food, I wouldn't go anywhere near Ibiza. The paella, fish and seafood are good, if a little plain, but there is usually something wrong with a meal (i.e. stale bread) and the service is consistently awful. And yes, I have been to the so called 'decent' restaurants (bambuddah grove, es cailu, es boldado, those in d'alt villa). These are not great restaurants, but 'good for ibiza' restaurants. Those who disagree with me maybe haven't eaten in Paris, Rome, Sydney, Barcelona?

As for culture, well, I love Ibiza town - it seems quite unique and has a special atmosphere, but that's the end of it as far as I can tell. The rest of the towns are pretty crappy; St Eularia is OK but a bit of a non-event, San Antonio is a turgid cespit, Playa D'en Bossa is just Space and Bora Bora plus some very average bars, very average hotels and a very average beach. The smaller towns and villages in the hills are not without their charm, but not exactly 'wow'.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ibiza which is why I've been four times and very nearly booked to go again this weekend (fridge freezer broke, £400 to replace, no space closing for me!). I will certainly be there next year and most likely for years afterwards, but the reason for this is Space, Amnesia, Privilege & Pacha.

The good weather, some nice scenery, Ibiza Town & some half decent beaches make it all the more enjoyable but to be completely honest, if the clubs weren't there, neither would I be (e.g. I never went there before clubbing came into my life and never had any desire to!)

For a non-clubbing european holiday I'd be going to Italy, South of France, Corsica, Croatia, Canary Islands, Denmark, Switzerland etc.

I get where you are coming from on many of the points, but think they are misguided. What has Ibiza Town really got to do with Ibicean culture?

Like you, I would probably never have visited Ibiza had it not been for the clubs, as sure as night follows day, I will be going back to Ibiza long after my body has given in to clubbing 24/7!!

Obviously you are a food conousoir, which I certainly am not, although I do enjoy good food and good wine. To quote certain locations as food hotspots I think is shortsighted, are you saying that without travelling to the afore mentioned destinations, you cannot get a good meal?

The views from Es Cubells, took my breath away and compare to any view I have expierienced anywhere in the world. Sure, what truly compares to the vista across the alps and pyrenees?? But for an island of it's size, personally I feel that it is hard to beat for views. The beaches, of the natural and not man made ones, the human touch has probably ensured they will never look as they once did.

I am not wanting to be argumentative, perhaps jumping to the defence of my true love :D :D :D

I could compare notes on places around the world we have visited, and the assocaited views and beaches and food, but this is not the topic to do so, and it would all sound rather pretentious, a trait I think is one of the worst any person can behold.

:D :D :D :D :D

my kids need the proper attitude from the start, so once they are born and mature enuff ill send them on a club 18-30 holiday hahaha!!!

I get where you are coming from on many of the points, but think they are misguided. What has Ibiza Town really got to do with Ibicean culture?

Ok not culture as in history, local way of life etc - more, 'what is unique about ibiza?'. For me, Ibiza town....not much else.

Like you, I would probably never have visited Ibiza had it not been for the clubs, as sure as night follows day, I will be going back to Ibiza long after my body has given in to clubbing 24/7!!

I expect I will too, but there are lots of other places to visit first! :)

Obviously you are a food conousoir, which I certainly am not, although I do enjoy good food and good wine. To quote certain locations as food hotspots I think is shortsighted, are you saying that without travelling to the afore mentioned destinations, you cannot get a good meal?

No, I'm saying that I don't think the food in Ibiza is very good by European standards. Hop across the water to Barcelona and the food is fantastic. Nice meals are an important part of my holiday - if I don't rate the food much, I don't tend to go back.

On a clubbing holiday eating is much less important ;) , so it's not a big deal.

I could compare notes on places around the world we have visited, and the assocaited views and beaches and food, but this is not the topic to do so, and it would all sound rather pretentious, a trait I think is one of the worst any person can behold.

Not sure how it's pretentious, these are only opinions. :D

I have another problem with regards to going to Ibiza

I'm 23 and love going to the Dance capital of the world!!!!
every last day of the holiday I say that’s it no more!!!
then the day I get back I'm ready to book the next holiday(that will never Change)

The problem I got is I'm getting married in July next year (meet her in Ibiza in 2001) I go in September for the closing parties but she can't come (work commitments) now she wants me to stay at home next year .... but I can't miss it (lads will kill me for 1 thing aaa Big Dave)

How do you get your wife to let you have two weeks of Ibiza euphoria without losing a marriage!!!!

If anyone has had that kind of problem please tell me how to get around it

My Ibiza experience this year has lead me to possible try somewhere else next year. The prices, experiences and treatment we received this year was diabolical, and it breaks my heart to say that as ive been every year for years and have never been disappointed! Oh well, might try mainland spain for a change! :D

Sunny_d wrote:
For a non-clubbing european holiday I'd be going to Italy, South of France, Corsica, Croatia, Canary Islands, Denmark, Switzerland etc.
I've been to some of the places you've mentioned. South of france and Italy are good for La Dolce Vita style of life. Good food, Exellent wine, good weather. True, but I'm surprised that you've mentioned the canary islands?!.
Have you been there?
Mrs moudire convinced me in September 2002 to do the canaries. So we visited Gran canaria and Tenerife. The worst places I've ever been in my life. No restaurants, No nice bars and cafes. It's a shithole. One visit to the "casbah" the commercial center and host of the clubs and bars in Playa del Ingles resort will summ it up. The only advantage of the canaries is that the Brits can visit them in winter to have some sun without paying much.
I did St. Tropez for 3 days this year. It's beautifull, the Yachts, the stylish night clubs and the girls shouting "St. tropez" . it's a destination for the rich.
Back to subject, the reason i go for Ibiza is for its nightlife, in addition the beaches are half decent and so is the food. But can you tell me where can you find a similar combination?.
I think i'll only stop going there when i get really tired of clubbing(not in the near future) or when Ibiza nightlife scene turns to R&b.

Back