Ibiza right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
and did you personally never drive? or stopped at some point for whatever reason? sorry if I'm being nosey.
Never drove. Father gave me a few lessons as they do when I was 15-16 and some carparks just wasn't for me. Never felt safe . Always had bike and skateboarded alot.. I can reverse very good as an ex was the worst driver in Ireland and i use to take the wheel when she was trying to Park..

Never drove. Father gave me a few lessons as they do when I was 15-16 and some carparks just wasn't for me. Never felt safe . Always had bike and skateboarded alot.. I can reverse very good as an ex was the worst driver in Ireland and i use to take the wheel when she was trying to Park..

understand. a good friend of mine is the same. and here on the island sometimes it's really tricky if you've got no (motorised) wheels which is why I got curious.

tragic yeah, I'd put it in the RIP thread yesterday. it's unconfirmed, but rumors say that person's been careless, and if so, then I am really sorry, but some cliff edge is just not a place to be silly. personally I love that spot and it hurts me how it's transformed over the past few years.
I agree. When I first started visiting that spot, sometimes it could be just our group there, now is far too overcrowded with the Instagram brigade.
It's such a shame as it's always been my favourite part of the island. These days I usually visit early during the day as it's likely there won't be anybody around, find (responsibly) a nice spot on the rocks under the tower and just sit there for a bit Something about that place that must be enjoyed in complete silence.

I agree. When I first started visiting that spot, sometimes it could be just our group there, now is far too overcrowded with the Instagram brigade.
It's such a shame as it's always been my favourite part of the island. These days I usually visit early during the day as it's likely there won't be anybody around, find (responsibly) a nice spot on the rocks under the tower and just sit there for a bit Something about that place that must be enjoyed in complete silence.

completely agree. I personally don't go there in summer nowadays, but in winter I do. for the same reasons - it's not crowded then and to me it's still one of the best spots to take in a sunset in all its glory. plus, there are some amazing spots close by too.

OK, so taking this thread back to observations on the right now in Ibiza ...

We’re lucky enough to have a place here that’s an escape from London . Have been here with my wife and little boy since flights started again beginning of July ,

No matter the positive gloss you try , try, and try again to put on things, the reality is that Ibiza this summer is not the Ibiza of summers before.

Iibiza was a place where the rules of life didn’t seem the to apply. Where people came to escape and let go. Where for every other disco ticket seller had on offer “something else” and everyone knew but no one was bothered. When the doorman waved you through even though beading with sweat and walking awkwardly for the stash in the shoes. Or down the pants. Where all the gents toilets were cubicles, as if by design.

But now there is no let go.

The energy is missing. The heading out for the day not knowing whether you’ll be back in a bit, or back for breakfast, or not back for a while, is gone.

It’s all rules, rules, and rules. Don’t do this, Don”t do that. You can’t access here. Keep your distance there. The resources of the Policia Local concentrated on preventing dancing ( my wife is happy, she’s always said my dancing should be illegal ...)

Dare to enter a supermercado with a loose nostril poking out of the mandatory mask ? Expect a reprimand.

This is not to criticise. It’s a postitive that the sense of social responsibility carried by all of us as individuals is felt more in Spanish society than in some others. Who can criticise that ? All I’m saying is the Ibiza as a place where you forget for a while about being responsible is not the Ibiza of 2020.

So come for the sun. Come for the beach. But expect a different spirit . All at low volume .

Or come for the past in 20 20 something , after the vaccine.

We’re lucky enough to have a place here that’s an escape from London . Have been here with my wife and little boy since flights started again beginning of July ,

No matter the positive gloss you try , try, and try again to put on things, the reality is that Ibiza this summer is not the Ibiza of summers before.

Iibiza was a place where the rules of life didn’t seem the to apply. Where people came to escape and let go. Where for every other disco ticket seller had on offer “something else” and everyone knew but no one was bothered. When the doorman waved you through even though beading with sweat and walking awkwardly for the stash in the shoes. Or down the pants. Where all the gents toilets were cubicles, as if by design.

The energy is missing. The heading out for the day not knowing whether you’ll be back in a bit, or back for breakfast, or not back for a while, is gone.

It’s all rules, rules, and rules. Don’t do this, Don”t do that. You can’t access here. Keep your distance there. The resources of the Policia Local concentrated on preventing dancing ( my wife is happy, she’s always said my dancing should be illegal ...)

Dare to enter a supermercado with a loose nostril poking out of the mandatory mask ? Expect a reprimand.

This is not to criticise. It’s a postitive that the sense of social responsibility carried by all of us as individuals is felt more in Spanish society than in some others. Who can criticise that ? All I’m saying is the Ibiza as a place where you forget for a while about being responsible is not the Ibiza of 2020.

So come for the sun. Come for the beach. But expect a different spirit . All at low volume .

what you describe is undeniable. I said it myself, the special ibiza spark is missing this year.

that said, I'd still rather be here than in madrid or london.

Never made it this year but was keeping up with the island through this forum. Prices were great and the island beautiful but I bet my favorite place to rent scooters in Playa D'en Bossa was closed. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences here and I hope to be back again soon to feel the energy and make memories like I did starting in 2005! I was just reading the posts of Charlotte Church's holidays back in 2004 and am hoping that if it's safe to have fun there again next year, will we get a Maisie Smith sighting?

Yep, well put.

I'm glad we came, but - especially after the latest clamp down - I don't think we'll be coming back this year.

It makes me sad.

what you describe is undeniable. I said it myself, the special ibiza spark is missing this year.

I'd rather be in Ibiza than London, but not when the former costs so, so much more.

I was glad to come back to London this time - the weather has been quite good, the gym has finally opened up, and you don't have to wear masks on the street.

There is no escape from the virus, and lockdown makes no sense - New Zealand got down to no cases, twice, opened up the lockdown, twice, and got increased numbers, twice.

It's just case of managing the outbreak, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back