ibiza gossip 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day cobbers. Apologies if this isn't the right thread - please feel free to move.
So I've been lurking a lot here and getting my mojo on for my trip next year - flights are booked - june 21 to july 9th.
With respect to clubbing I saw a cool comment saying that Ibiza is the champions league.
So given that many nights have a lot of european names on the DJ list that I don't know should I be simply going along to the nights I think will suit my music taste and my preference for dark sweaty clubs (preferrably that you go down into!) (and my age of 51)and them handle the rest? I love how the nights are classed as parties!
I've narrowed it down to Shine at Eden, Pyramid/Paradise at Amnesia and maybe Cirolocco at DC10 if I'm still standing.
Also booked at Pikes for 3 nights.
Should work?
Thx for any tips

Because normally just knowing how it works is not enough.

You see it all the time - the main driving force behind something moves on and so does the ideology. All of a sudden the new version. Of the brand will introduce things that previously they never would have.
Been planned for a while as Dunmore said he would be stopping DJing and as much involvement a while back. Wez Saunders was the MD for Defected any way and ran some of the smaller labels defected picked up
I think.

Things evolve be interesting to see how it goes, their online / streaming thing has been quite interesting venture

Been planned for a while as Dunmore said he would be stopping DJing and as much involvement a while back. Wez Saunders was the MD for Defected any way and ran some of the smaller labels defected picked up
I think.

Things evolve be interesting to see how it goes, their online / streaming thing has been quite interesting venture

I think Wez was behind a lot of the high digital push they've had over the last few years, or at least Wezs team.

Dunmore is a known face, but the whole team have been innovating on their approach (at a guess)

Dangerous times for DJs, Len Faki had a bicycle accident, reason for cancelling his Ibiza gig. If this is also the reason for cancelling his Pyramid date in late September it's gotta be major :/

Simon Dunmore just announced he has sold Defected/Glitterbox

Says he will stay on as a 'consultant' though, both parties have grown to be very solid Ibiza nights so I hope they don't break a winning formula
I think Wes has been with them since 2014. I was under the impression he was more of label / music man so I’ve got no idea what his contribution has been on the island. But Dunmore has been largely absent from Ibiza for a long time, and looking at the queues for Glitterbox on Sunday (that nearly snaked back as far as Tantra), I suspect Wes’s contribution has been significant.

Dunmore is a miserable so and so for whatever reason. But I’ve been impressed at how Defected has endured over the years. They really own the market for accessible house music imo and have seen off a lot of competition. They have had a big presence in Ibiza for a long time and to still run two weekly events on the is very impressive. Looking at the current and ongoing success, the shelf life for big brands in Ibiza, and his own desire to stop djing, he’s probably picked a great time to cash out. Fair play to him.

I think Wes has been with them since 2014. I was under the impression he was more of label / music man so I’ve got no idea what his contribution has been on the island. But Dunmore has been largely absent from Ibiza for a long time, and looking at the queues for Glitterbox on Sunday (that nearly snaked back as far as Tantra), I suspect Wes’s contribution has been significant.

Dunmore is a miserable so and so for whatever reason. But I’ve been impressed at how Defected has endured over the years. They really own the market for accessible house music imo and have seen off a lot of competition. They have had a big presence in Ibiza for a long time and to still run two weekly events on the is very impressive. Looking at the current and ongoing success, the shelf life for big brands in Ibiza, and his own desire to stop djing, he’s probably picked a great time to cash out. Fair play to him.

Agree he might be getting out at a high point, we saw with Cocoon and Cream for example that even the biggest nights have their expiry date.

I think you have it right for both Defected and Glitterbox with the word 'accessible' they are good value nights and the music isn't too heavy whilst still retaining some cool, which is harder than it sounds to achieve

Dangerous times for DJs, Len Faki had a bicycle accident, reason for cancelling his Ibiza gig. If this is also the reason for cancelling his Pyramid date in late September it's gotta be major :/
Has Faki cancelled his sept date? Was planning on going to that aswell!!

I think you have it right for both Defected and Glitterbox with the word 'accessible' they are good value nights and the music isn't too heavy whilst still retaining some cool, which is harder than it sounds to achieve

Agree. And for me so admirable how they just stick at it and work with these nights and evolve them.

I mean Glitterbox started at Booom in 2014 (I think), then Space and Hï, and it’s absolute top box office right now. Yes it has been for a few years, but more and more people attracted to it at the moment (including me).

Defected night has evolved from El Divino (?2003/4?) Pacha (6/7 seasons), Booom, Amnesia, and finally at Eden - where it’s extremely accessible.

Are the taxi's really a nightmare this season or are the concierge social media pages just saying this so you book with them?
Bit of both. Those times the concierges are quoting are very magnified. As we come out of peak season, the issue will ease

Agree he might be getting out at a high point, we saw with Cocoon and Cream for example that even the biggest nights have their expiry date.

Exactly what I was thinking. Nothing lasts forever in clubland. Defected / Glitterbox have such a wide appeal don’t they? Accessible, fun house music, lots of classics. It seems to appeal to such a wide age range. Great that young people choose it over Aoki, Garrick, Guetta, Like Mike and that sort of lowest common denominator pop. Never seen a queue like it for hi or space tbh. Hope they enjoyed it.

Are the taxi's really a nightmare this season or are the concierge social media pages just saying this so you book with them?
Been three times this year. My findings:
Airport fine.
Pacha fine.
DC10 fine.
Everywhere else a bloody nightmare ime. A direct booking at the hotel always worked.

I think Wez was behind a lot of the high digital push they've had over the last few years, or at least Wezs team.
Dunmore is a known face, but the whole team have been innovating on their approach (at a guess)

Makes sense - according to LinkedIn Wez background was in IT for a major bank not that long ago.

They’ve got some good talent they’ve kicked from Radio 1 and major labels which has helped.

I sensed Dunmore had been more interested in the newer niche labels they had like Sondela in recent years.

Great success story though from a fairly middling label to a big rebrand 10 years ago or so, picked up some excellent back catalogues and definitely bridged the gap between commercial and underground perfectly in my opinion

Someone called George Mason, must be the money man..
Good shout, George Mason is a director but not the other shareholder, that is someone called Stephen Devonshire who is 70 odd. Seems to be linked to a company called Optimum Capital Investments which is some kind of unregulated borrowing platform in related to high value properties… doesn’t fill me with hope for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back