*** ibiza gossip 2019 ***

for me, my best years were 2004-2007 - I was just lucky enough to see space's old open air terrace still and space and dc10 daytime.

a good friend of mine was a tour rep here in the 80s (he could be my dad). his best years were obviously seeing KU open air etc.

the 20-something year old kids coming to ibiza for the first time now are blown away by ushuaïa, hï and elrow.

so...from a CLUBBING point of view, I think everyone has their own 'golden years'. I still love clubbing now, but I'll also admit I think 'it used to be better back in the day' - as probably 80% will start to feel at some point.

but...the island is still beautiful and that just won't change.
Ku open air oh yes it was something, Es Paradis Terrenal was also great in the 80's,
never fights,and always new music at the clubs

The club is not keeping up with competition.
Compare it to Pacha or Hi.... Amnesia is dated.

Pacha sound system is unreal
Hi is modern (toilets)

Amnesia's days are numbered... Elrow is keeping it going

I think part of the beauty of Amnesia (and part of the reason that it remains my favorite club on the island after all these years) is the fact that it is still raw and authentic in comparison to the other clubs on the island. Not all clubs need to revamp and modernize to be like Pacha, Ushüiaia and Hï and I'm sure many others feel the same and love Amnesia for the same reasons. On a separate note too if you haven't been back to Amnesia this season and heard the new soundsystem on the terrace, give that a go before you cast judgment as it really is superb!

This isn't me having a dig at other more modernized clubs or clubs conducting refurbishments either. I'll make no bones about it I am not a big fan of Hï as a club - it just doesn't do anything for me! However, I do enjoy Ushüiaia for the right event and I've always been open about my love for Pacha too as it does have a unique charm about it and an incredible sound system; but from my experience this season and last with Cocoon as an example there is no comparison between the atmosphere and crowd attracted when you compare the party at Pacha and Amnesia! This for me proves the point that it doesn't really matter if a club hasn't modernized or has shiny new refurbished, state of the art facilities - it's the music, atmosphere and crowd inside that make the event what it is!

I think what @white_isle_calling has said above was a pretty good summary for me - it is a period of transition for both Ibiza as an island and Amnesia and we do not know the full story of what is going on behind the scenes post the 2016 raid. I for one don't really fear for the future of the club, but I do think it will be very interesting to see how they program things next season and can only wish them well as this club is one of the last standing clubbing institutions of Ibiza with the closure of Space a few years ago and the island and clubbers need it thriving!

Who ever thought Luciano would pack out Amnesia? He’s great and all but I wouldn’t expect a sold out club.

Perhaps I'm completely off the mark with this, but I don't think even Amnesia or Luciano himself were under the delusion he could fill it. But then who could they book that would who's available?

I honestly don't think DNS would've fared any better. Their opening few weeks didn't exactly set the world alight either. A party with a strong following, but - again - for one of Amnesia's rooms, not both.

Had they risked it on an unknown quantity - it might have been more gutsy. But going up against Defected, Dixon, David Guetta, Magdalena... it still would've been the same story. I can understand why they played it safe.

While I totally understand people posting 'their best times'...
But in my opinion and way of life your best time is always NOW.
Memories of past times will always seem better. It's called romanticizing.

So while I had brilliant times in my 20ies...I'm now slowly reaching 40 and I refuse to think my best years are in my past. My best years are always still ahead of me :)
Screenshot_20190823_123743.jpg

Luciano emerged from the embers of minimal around the same time as Villalobos but whereas RV had a very unique and (on his day) mindblowing way of fusing sounds, Luciano was just a bit boring

Luciano emerged from the embers of minimal around the same time as Villalobos but whereas RV had a very unique and (on his day) mindblowing way of fusing sounds, Luciano was just a bit boring

oh I was a big fan of lucien between around 2004 and just until he started his pacha residency. in those years, IMO he was anything but boring and very unique with the latin infused stuff he played. interesting how different we perceive sounds eh.

When I went to pyramid opening in June, I thought Amnesia looked great and there was a big crowd (not totally rammed but perfect). Clearly not as busy as music on or cocoon back in the day but still good. So I don’t think it’s right to say Elrow is keeping the place alive. After Space, definitely the best club when in full flow in my view. Next years program will be crucial I guess

Did you ever listen to Luciano's 'Tribute To The Sun' album? I'd imagine this is the sound you'd love (I mean that positively).

bits. not for me really.

though there were aspects of that "chilean necktie" sound with the flutes/recorders and stuff "la mezcla" "yamore" "heater" and things like that which I thought were ok (in moderation) - (michel cleiss was the master!) but then there were endless copycats which got on my nerves - it was a very distinctive sound though (arguably the last genuinely unique sound to emerge out of IBZ?)

bits. not for me really.

though there were aspects of that "chilean necktie" sound with the flutes/recorders and stuff "la mezcla" "yamore" "heater" and things like that which I thought were ok (in moderation) - (michel cleiss was the master!) but then there were endless copycats which got on my nerves - it was a very distinctive sound though (arguably the last genuinely unique sound to emerge out of IBZ?)
La Mezcla - toilet break track

I mean partying until 6am on a Sunday morning at home is ok because you're not missing much sleeping most of Sunday but for me in Ibiza I want to be up early enjoying the island and getting as much sun as possible not feeling like death

You've changed @Life of Rye !

Said it before and I'll say again - 5am - 9/9.30am was the perfect clubbing slot for balancing day sun and parties. Kip after pre-parties dancing outdoors with your feet in the sand in Bossa to end the day, instead of round a hotel swimming pool surrounded by 'on-edge' bouncers. Early rise and start the day with a rave, with room to dance, still feeling energized afterwards. Morning swim then the best of the rest of the day to enjoy at the beach or out & about. Between getting shepherded into venues off the beach in the early evening (the "Ushuaia effect") and having to stay up all night to do a club because of early closings (the "Conseill effect"), what was left of the attraction of the Ibiza party offering for someone like me basically died.

The 6-7am closings killed off the big club aspect, and more & more parties seemed to start putting the main attractions (for some of us) on earlier as a result. If you get to sleep at 7-8am you're not going to be up before noon/1pm and by the time you're out and about after refuelling etc. it's usually 2pm onwards and the beach car parks are already packing out. Might just work in June with the long days but by mid-August / September for me it's a disaster. Ended up living off 2 hours' kip a day and an unfeasible amount of caffeine in order not to sleep away the days. Still managed loads but the physical toll on return home was massive and been enjoying my Ibiza days far more since I started actually sleeping at night.

Days of going to Ibiza (or anywhere hot and sunny) to spend days in bed and nights in a club are ancient history. It's not like we get that much at home !

Last edited:
It's part of it, but there are loads of Spanish resorts where you can find narcs easily and party later than in many British towns. IME Greece (well, Zante) is terrible for partying, unless you like ultra-binge drinking, fights and chart music.

If getting and consuming narcs in Ibiza / its clubs became as stressful as at home, would you still go there - or would you pick somewhere else it was as easy as Ibiza is now and put up with a bit of 'door worries' ? Seems the only thing putting you off Berlin etc is stressing about being denied entry at the door / not being able to buy a ticket and be pretty sure you can get in with it ?

those "purists" you sneer at include many of my friends who have dedicated the best part of their lives to putting on amazing parties for passionate, committed people, who are like family. When the IBZ authorities reigned in the excess and made the 'free spirits' unwelcome, you could hardly blame them for going elsewhere.... you see the 2+2=4 logic here yeah? So following that logic, why would someone happily dancing under the stars at Barbarella's enrage you so much?

maybe I can start saying that amnesia will open tonight.

line up TBA... and more on the story soon :D
Cheering.gif

Back