*** ibiza gossip 2019 ***

Sounds ideal but can't see it pulling the crowds. I mean shine Eden looks good but doesn't look rammed.

Bring back the days when cream had Eddie at full fire PVD Kearny JOC the trancey A&B and I even remember Ben gold playing corker set when I once went.
Whatever happened to Eddie? From headlining events everywhere to barely doing anything these days. Don’t think he’s done Ibiza for a couple of years either. It is really weird how he’s all but stopped djing. That’s said, think he’s doing a rare Creamfields gig on the weekend. Reckon he’d be a perfect fit for Shine.

Could get involved for the zillionth time but done arguing all this tbh. Bottom line is - you know or you don't..

Is the ideal party:

A. about the music, the dancers, the memories, the friendships OR is it
B. about the money, the brand, the egos, the selfies ?

Take your pick. If you answered B mute me now and never interact with me again.

+ FWIW the dance culture I grew up with is dying everywhere, but there are still people flying the flag. As i hit mid-40s it's about careful research, identifying the intimate parties and who is still in it for the love.

Watch that wax da jam video i shared on the dalias thread. He gets it - in a way your corporates never will..
100% agree. Been going to Ibiza for 20+ years and although my trips have changed in various ways, clubbing still very much a part of it - this year will be Cuttin' Heads and DC10 and Pyramid at Amnesia.
There are plenty of nights that are not for me - always have been - if anything, the (too slow) demise of EDM means we are getting better nights again.
I love Amnesia and hope it rises again. Magical place

Would it be fair to say that the habits of clubbing are changing slightly - more towards partying in the afternoon...

I mean partying until 6am on a Sunday morning at home is ok because you're not missing much sleeping most of Sunday but for me in Ibiza I want to be up early enjoying the island and getting as much sun as possible not feeling like death

I would love to see Amnesia put on a day party. 6pm Start 2am finish
Welcome to Ireland..

100% agree. Been going to Ibiza for 20+ years and although my trips have changed in various ways, clubbing still very much a part of it - this year will be Cuttin' Heads and DC10 and Pyramid at Amnesia.
There are plenty of nights that are not for me - always have been - if anything, the (too slow) demise of EDM means we are getting better nights again.
I love Amnesia and hope it rises again. Magical place

The club is not keeping up with competition.
Compare it to Pacha or Hi.... Amnesia is dated.

Pacha sound system is unreal
Hi is modern (toilets)

Amnesia's days are numbered... Elrow is keeping it going

Would it be fair to say that the habits of clubbing are changing slightly - more towards partying in the afternoon...

I mean partying until 6am on a Sunday morning at home is ok because you're not missing much sleeping most of Sunday but for me in Ibiza I want to be up early enjoying the island and getting as much sun as possible not feeling like death

I would love to see Amnesia put on a day party. 6pm Start 2am finish

Interesting, the complete opposite for me.

I have been over waking up feeling like shit for two/three days when I have stuff to do for quite a few years now. I go to the island with the best night clubs in the world to make the most of it. You can go hard and still enjoy the late afternoon sun, and it will still shine tomorrow.

According to the purists, all those festival options in Europe and possibly Croatia. City wise Berlin.

those "purists" you sneer at include many of my friends who have dedicated the best part of their lives to putting on amazing parties for passionate, committed people, who are like family. When the IBZ authorities reigned in the excess and made the 'free spirits' unwelcome, you could hardly blame them for going elsewhere.... you see the 2+2=4 logic here yeah? So following that logic, why would someone happily dancing under the stars at Barbarella's enrage you so much?

but it's like Dirk said and I've said before, IBZ is way more than the clubs. Personally I'm more about the late bars which offer more diverse music. Stuff like Fonoteca @ Malanga - I have local friends who have told me nothing ever really quite replaced the much-missed Aura knees-ups, so there is obv still a market out there

Hi is modern (toilets)

It's not just about that though, surely?
Hi is so soulless and the maze and crowd (as I have experienced it) at Pacha leaves me cold.
Not heard the new sound system at Amnesia but the old one was decent - I honestly don't think the people are choosing nights at other clubs because the sound systems are better either.

Having said that, a refurb/refresh could be something to get people talking......and I do hate the toilets....

Hi is modern (toilets)

While I agree Elrow is currently the only thing keeping it going...Amnesia has a great new sound system.
Cova Santa is from the same owner isn't it. I guess Cova Santa has been successful this season so that might just keep Amnesia alive too.

Whatever happened to Eddie? From headlining events everywhere to barely doing anything these days. Don’t think he’s done Ibiza for a couple of years either. It is really weird how he’s all but stopped djing. That’s said, think he’s doing a rare Creamfields gig on the weekend. Reckon he’d be a perfect fit for Shine.
He's totally toned it down sadly he's more on the "classic" DJ rota along with judge Jules etc. I went to his new underground venture in MCR in march he played a banging tech/Tech house set with some trancey notes chucked in and even opened with Len Faki just a dance. Was real quality and filled Joshua brooks and could see it working in more smaller intimate venues as he did he some young guns on the line up too.

In all fairness had a stellar career shame he couldn't produce music but for me hands down one of the best djs to see live.

Maybe he's just settled down had kids? He's very private puts nothing on social media and when you speak to him doesn't give anything away.

I still blast his old sets like I was there even though I would of been 13/14 at the time of it hahah!

Ibiza clubbing popularity would collapse if drugs were not so freely available and attitudes relatively tolerant. It's what keeps a lot of people going there instead of Greece or Croatia I am pretty sure of it !

It's part of it, but there are loads of Spanish resorts where you can find narcs easily and party later than in many British towns. IME Greece (well, Zante) is terrible for partying, unless you like ultra-binge drinking, fights and chart music.

Could get involved for the zillionth time but done arguing all this tbh. Bottom line is - you know or you don't..

Is the ideal party:

A. about the music, the dancers, the memories, the friendships OR is it
B. about the money, the brand, the egos, the selfies ?

Take your pick. If you answered B mute me now and never interact with me again.

+ FWIW the dance culture I grew up with is dying everywhere, but there are still people flying the flag. As i hit mid-40s it's about careful research, identifying the intimate parties and who is still in it for the love.

Watch that wax da jam video i shared on the dalias thread. He gets it - in a way your corporates never will..
I listened to the 'Summer of Love' documentary on 6Music yesterday. One of the early illegal party organisers was saying that by 91/92 some were leaving the scene as it had become too mainstream and not how it was in 88/89. That to me just said that the feelings of things not being as good as they once were are ever present, even back at a time that was close to the birth of the entire scene!

For me personally, I'm pretty much the same as Kim on this. I don't think it's as good as it once was. Whether that's objectively the case who knows. It's probably more down to me not being 18-25 anymore and experiencing it all for the first time. If you speak to the kids going to OB I'm sure that they will say they are having the Best Time Ever, even though for me I would not like to go there at all.

for me, my best years were 2004-2007 - I was just lucky enough to see space's old open air terrace still and space and dc10 daytime.

a good friend of mine was a tour rep here in the 80s (he could be my dad). his best years were obviously seeing KU open air etc.

the 20-something year old kids coming to ibiza for the first time now are blown away by ushuaïa, hï and elrow.

so...from a CLUBBING point of view, I think everyone has their own 'golden years'. I still love clubbing now, but I'll also admit I think 'it used to be better back in the day' - as probably 80% will start to feel at some point.

but...the island is still beautiful and that just won't change.

for me, my best years were 2004-2007 - I was just lucky enough to see space's old open air terrace still and space and dc10 daytime.

a good friend of mine was a tour rep here in the 80s (he could be my dad). his best years were obviously seeing KU open air etc.

the 20-something year old kids coming to ibiza for the first time now are blown away by ushuaïa, hï and elrow.

so...from a CLUBBING point of view, I think everyone has their own 'golden years'. I still love clubbing now, but I'll also admit I think 'it used to be better back in the day' - as probably 80% will start to feel at some point.

Brilliantly put

Last summer, Amnesia were the one big club that advocated the idea that sometimes staying closed on one night of the week actually makes better business sense that opening all nights regardless. Exactly what we are seeing at Octan by the way.
Although they kind of stuck to this idea this summer, eventually they opened most Wednesdays during peak summer in some way or another.
5,000 give or take is just a giant capacity in the current climate. Not only are clubbing habits changing, and the demographic of visitors changing, but there's more competition than ever. A few years ago, Destino and Cova Santa would not be on many people's radar. Plus O Beach and Ibiza Rocks have stolen a lot of the youth market that previously would've gone out at night.

We can decry the likes of reggaeton, EDM and perceived clowns like Hilton and Gianluca Vacchi, but the fact is the underground market is only so big and huge venues like this need diversity in their programme to appeal to the widest audience as possible.

Of course, any venue would be reeling in losing a flagship night like Music On in the manner in which it did.

It's a period of transition, for sure. And I think it highlights how quickly things can turn around - a lesson there for us all.
well...amnesia and cocoon couldn't get to an agreement as to how the night should look and sound. amnesia wanted to impose some changes which cocoon, true to their philosophy, simply didn't agree to. that's the short version and I'm afraid I won't be able to add more details than that. it needs to be added though - and that is no secret - that already previously to that, the relationship between amnesia and cocoon had deteriorated because of things like music on, HYTE etc. at the same time, pacha had been knocking on cocoon's doors for a while.

what happened last year? well, cocoon at pacha didn't really work, a big part of why it only lasted one season was the fact cocoon didn't bring any VIP in. the love faded quickly and in winter both amnesia and cocoon came to their senses and realised that there's no better place for cocoon to celebrate their 20th season as their original venue.

on amnesia generally...I won't be able to tell any more than this, but maybe people do remember what happened two or three years ago one early morning?
Who ever thought Luciano would pack out Amnesia? He’s great and all but I wouldn’t expect a sold out club.

Could this be the end of the warrior era ?

While I totally understand people posting 'their best times'...
But in my opinion and way of life your best time is always NOW.
Memories of past times will always seem better. It's called romanticizing.

So while I had brilliant times in my 20ies...I'm now slowly reaching 40 and I refuse to think my best years are in my past. My best years are always still ahead of me :)

1000% agree also for me it's the VIBE the island has that draws me back. My first experience of a "clubbing" holiday was magaful aged 18, the vibe just wasn't there and I felt I didn't belong at all. Next year first clubbing trip to Ibiza after many childhood holidays and I just felt the vibe and felt I belonged there.

Rest is history!

Back