*** ibiza gossip 2018 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you won't be able to go into details until it's ready - but are Tuesdays looking to be of an underground or commercial nature at this stage @stivi?

All the talk of needing a long list of big hitters to pack out Privilege, yet with Manumission, which is still the gold standard of Ibiza clubbing, you never really had a clue who was playing and they still packed the place out every week.

Big spaces don't always need big name DJ's to fill it. They just need a really great party. And maybe, just maybe, zombie instaclubbers who will only go to a party if 10 big name branded DJs are playing, are actually the problem ?

All the talk of needing a long list of big hitters to pack out Privilege, yet with Manumission, which is still the gold standard of Ibiza clubbing, you never really had a clue who was playing and they still packed the place out every week.

Big spaces don't always need big name DJ's to fill it. They just need a really great party. And maybe, just maybe, zombie instaclubbers who will only go to a party if 10 big name branded DJs are playing, are actually the problem ?

yeah but manumission was big (famous) because of all the shows etc - same as elrow is nowadays.

That Resistance lineup may be commercial relative to us underground heads but not to the general public. The regular folks don't know about those artists still. If Priv really wanted to sell out they coulda just went the pop route...

was about to post this

the likes of Hawtin and Cox may seem commercial to people who like new, up & coming underground music
but to the general public, EDM & the likes of Djs that frequent Ushuaia parties (for example) are "commercial"

yeah but manumission was big (famous) because of all the shows etc - same as elrow is nowadays.

Manumission was also in a very different era. Little to no internet, no social media, no smart phones, and little to no other places (such as Croatia & Vegas and a whole host of festivals) competing for ticket sales amongst clubbers.

I think are few commenting are also forgetting that Privilege isn't just a big club...its a very very big club. Isn't it 10k capacity in the main room? And needs to be at least half if not 2/3rds full for a decent atmosphere.

Very few acts can sell that out alone even for much hyped 'one off' gigs so no hope of a load of unknowns doing it.

I've never worked out if DJs play safe because they're scared of clearing the floor OR because the promoter/club have made it a contractual obligation (are setlists vetted in advance?! I often wonder!). I guess this is where commercial and artistic tensions meet head on. If I was DJing I'd instinctively want to be the shepherd not the sheep, but then I'd probably get bottled off!

Are you suggesting we go back to the days of watching Mike on a stage trying to get it up?

everyone deserves a second chance ;)

tbh I never watched the show, I was dancing. It's what we used to do back then, before the advent of the internet, smart phones, social media, Croatia, Vegas, festivals.

Haha he had enough chances over the years.

Very true on the dancing front, I'll agree with you on that!

Any gossip for the gossip thread or is just going to be people slagging other people's tastes all summer? It's just musical taste, live and let live. Having opinions and expressing them is great, it's nice to have healthy debate, but the constant repetitive attacks on this forum (from many angles) doesn't half kill your mood when you log-on for some nice Ibiza-related news and chat.

I'm 100% spiritually with Daviniah but alas the war is lost. The big clubs caved into commercial pressures a long time ago. Unfortunately, there are too few real music heads left to make it work there anymore. However, there are still good things happening beneath the surface - see the smaller club and balearic threads, where the forum freedom fighters hide out. There's no point arguing with the likes of "Woodsy" because 90% of the clubbing industry these days caters to their needs. I try to block those types out and just gravitate to people with mutual interests. It's far more rewarding. Took me about 10 years to reach this level of zen but better late than never!

Freedom fighters? What are you on about. It’s not a war. You claim to love Ibiza but you constantly complain. Maybe it’s not Ibiza that’s so bad and it’s more of that fact your life is so sh*t!!

Try and get your end away and chill out a little.

RigidKindlyBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif

Freedom fighters? What are you on about. It’s not a war. You claim to love Ibiza but you constantly complain. Maybe it’s not Ibiza that’s so bad and it’s more of that fact your life is so sh*t!!

Try and get your end away and chill out a little.
Maybe he loves ibiza for others things than clubs, parties and dj's?
You know, the real things sun, beaches, food, people, atmosphere, this kind of things ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back