ibiza 2019 observations

Has anyone been to Dance or Die at all ?

I am thinking of going Weds for the closing, not seen Coxy this year or NF

Also did anyone to to Paradise last week, again any feedback welcome pls

Has anyone been to Dance or Die at all ?

I am thinking of going Weds for the closing, not seen Coxy this year or NF

Also did anyone to to Paradise last week, again any feedback welcome pls

I went Sept 4th. They have wristbands outside for cheaper entry. I thought it was great, a better Ants for me. They have colourful litup signage everywhere. We knew someone that had a room at Ushuaia so we would go in and out for drinks. I ended up seeing Fisher b2b Nic Fanciulli and it was good tech house

If on the island, I'd do the Port. Not a big fan of Cox although he shockingly played well Resistance Sept 5th

I am not a fan of cox either at all... was good when he did his night at space many years ago...he always win awards etc, I dont get the hype personally
I’m not a big fan either but I still go sometimes to see him . I’m not really into his sound anymore but used to love his party 15 years ago , he is also a very nice person ...
Taking about the hype , I ‘m not really sure is a hype dj . He is just famous because he was there at the beginning ( more than 30 years ago ) and had done many things for the scene in general for all this years...

my deepest apologies to Lovely Laura which I'm sure she really is lovely.

.. at her very loveliest when she puts down her sax :lol:

I'd actually not seen her perform in the flesh until last night, when Mark Knight brought her out to do Man With A Red Face at the Toolroom closing. She was actually really good - I was very impressed. I've requested a rendition from several saxophonists down the years, and they haven't even entertained the idea. But she sounded like the real deal!

Maybe it worked because it was just the one track? To be clear, I'm also not a fan of bongo players and the like playing over a DJ so maybe the key is to keep the novelty novel and not overcook it

I'd actually not seen her perform in the flesh until last night, when Mark Knight brought her out to do Man With A Red Face at the Toolroom closing. She was actually really good - I was very impressed. I've requested a rendition from several saxophonists down the years, and they haven't even entertained the idea. But she sounded like the real deal!

Maybe it worked because it was just the one track? To be clear, I'm also not a fan of bongo players and the like playing over a DJ so maybe the key is to keep the novelty novel and not overcook it
To me the idea of combining real instruments, bongos's, guitars, sax ect has always being appealing. The reality of making it sound good, is actually pretty hard.

@white_isle_calling I think the problem is that it usually winds up going a lot further than that e.g. at ocean beach / pukka up boat parties etc. (and maybe I am also going back a few years here) with sax renditions of classics being trotted out along with over the top improvisations etc. The whole thing ending up feeling like being at a wedding do....

A short cameo playing the sax part of man with the red face live instead of recorded i,.e. with the recorded bit dubbed out, not playing along with it - I assume that is what happened ? - is a little different. It's probably the only enduring electronic track I can think of where the instrument was made to work.

It's the same with Shovell when he plays well and the track selection is right. Drums are such an integral part of dance music there are many tracks which lend themselves to having them used live. I am not talking here about some cheesy vocal house tracks, rather the sort of raw tracks which incorporate hypnotic drums, to give an example >>

A short cameo playing the sax part of man with the red face live instead of recorded i,.e. with the recorded bit dubbed out, not playing along with it - I assume that is what happened ? - is a little different. It's probably the only enduring electronic track I can think of where the instrument was made to work.

Surely Pacific 707 is far and away the best dance track with sax on it?

Back