ibiza 2019 observations

So you were quite drunk yet drove to Ushuaia …

Before I stopped drinking a few years ago I almost gave up posting reviews with any reference to what I drank because if I did, 50% of the comments that followed ended up being getting a kicking over driving after drinking.

Funny thing is I never saw a single person have a go about people hiring cars and exploring the island in the same review as discussing all the party treats they'd been boshing a few hours earlier. Reality is of course that nowadays, aside from the risks, there are so many controls your chances of getting busted is too high to gamble with either way.

Before I stopped drinking a few years ago I almost gave up posting reviews with any reference to what I drank because if I did, 50% of the comments that followed ended up being getting a kicking over driving after drinking.

Funny thing is I never saw a single person have a go about people hiring cars and exploring the island in the same review as discussing all the party treats they'd been boshing a few hours earlier. Reality is of course that nowadays, aside from the risks, there are so many controls your chances of getting busted is too high to gamble with either way.

Fact is this

You could drive through a red light if it was clear
You can have 4 bottles of beer and drive no problem in total control
You can drive while holding a phone to you ear

You get 1000's of people doing this and unfortunately not everyone is capable.... so the law stipulate no one does it because 1 person out of 1000 is incapable

Out of the two, I'd prefer to take my chances with someone driving a car after taking substances, compared to drinking alcohol.

Amen.

The gift and curse of having a car out here. If I change my mind about indulging on a planned sober one, not only is it agg to retrieve the car afterwards, it normally means I have to wait until the day after next (or lose brownie points with the missus)

Completely get what you are saying but I do think there is a rather big difference between the two scenarios.

One is you are drinking at your hotel let’s say, then driving to a venue where you will no doubt be drinking, and then driving home. Very very dangerous.

The second is you get a taxi to the club, indulge in whatever substances you choose, and then get a taxi back to hotel. You then go to sleep, wake up and get some food. Personally got no problem if people do this.

My personal opinion, and from experience is, I would feel an awful lot safer driving in the second scenario. Once you have slept and ate you are no longer under the influence imo. Yes I know you will still get done for this but I believe scenario 1 is far more dangerous.

And by experience I just mean my mental state after both situations as I haven’t done either since I’ve never hired a car.

Yeah.to give strenght to wear a ☠ hat
Sure that reasoning will go down really well if you hit, or worse kill, anyone. “Sorry officer I am quite drunk and I didn’t mean to run that man over but I need to be drunk in order to wear my pirate hat” how bloody ridiculous.

Sort it out mate or your going to do some serious damage to someone’s life all for the sake of some bloody hat.

Guys if u read well my post u will READ as i only drink when in a parking ans its not big dose.
1rhum Coke 2 hierbas shots.
I NEVER drink while driving in Ibz except 1 shot of hierbas they give at end of lunch/Dinners as long i dont go to mountains..San an es vedra..too curvy,even not drunk u can crash at nght if too sleepy ..
6 hours later.. Zero %alcool.yeah lot of contrôle
See one b4 U from San an yesterday night..

Completely get what you are saying but I do think there is a rather big difference between the two scenarios.

One is you are drinking at your hotel let’s say, then driving to a venue where you will no doubt be drinking, and then driving home. Very very dangerous.

The second is you get a taxi to the club, indulge in whatever substances you choose, and then get a taxi back to hotel. You then go to sleep, wake up and get some food. Personally got no problem if people do this.

My personal opinion, and from experience is, I would feel an awful lot safer driving in the second scenario. Once you have slept and ate you are no longer under the influence imo. Yes I know you will still get done for this but I believe scenario 1 is far more dangerous.

And by experience I just mean my mental state after both situations as I haven’t done either since I’ve never hired a car.

Yeah but the whole point is that a huge number of the accidents that happen follow precisely this scenario. That goes for people still over the limit the next morning as well as being affected by delayed post-drug impairment. It's precisely because you feel a lot safer driving in scenario 2 that people drop their guards and very likely increase risk as a result of complacency. In the first scenario you are (or at least should be) on highest level of alertness with unusually firm focus on the job in hand.

If you don't drive much and/or are not used to driving after drinking (which includes being ultra focused on the road and removing distractions that exacerbate any negative impact on your concentration and reflexes) it is a problem for you and other people on the road. I had years of experience driving under the influence and whilst that might cause widespread agitation in retrospect, when I consider other people doing it, it is always moderated by an understanding that underlying driving competence and character/personality have a huge bearing on relative risk on the road after sinking a few.

@Life of Rye is quite correct of course. I drank steadily but heavily for days on end and drove in Ibiza on holiday for YEARS, and never had an incident or accident. It is a matter of luck though and if there is an accident (whether you are at fault or not, and there's the rub) you'll be held culpable and all insurances will be void.

I personally want to be in a position to drive without thinking about drink or drugs at any time with any notice, on holiday or not, and all the limits and controls end up turning indulging into a nuisance rather than a pleasure. HATE taxis and public transport with a passion, they unduly restrict my freedom, flexibility and choices, and being without my own independent instant onward transport makes me very uncomfortable. Something people who use taxis/buses regularly or live in cities probably don't understand as they are usually conditioned otherwise. Axeing all alcohol and drugs was an instant solution to a changing and increasingly intolerant climate. Don't even miss them any more ! ?

It is a matter of luck though and if there is an accident (whether you are at fault or not, and there's the rub) you'll be held culpable and all insurances will be void.

This. And especially true on Ibiza for a variety of reasons:

1) pedestrians being intox themselves. Would say this spikes around club kick-out times, but in San Antonio people are on it all day. You see some right states.

2) regardless of point 1) you wouldn't believe the number of pedestrians who just meander into the road without looking, crossing or otherwise. So carefree on their holidays, they believe they are invincible.

3) ped drivers - a law unto themselves. Do any of them ever look when pulling out?? Honestly, it's a wonder there isn't more traffic incidents already

This. And especially true on Ibiza for a variety of reasons:

1) pedestrians being intox themselves. Would say this spikes around club kick-out times, but in San Antonio people are on it all day. You see some right states.

2) regardless of point 1) you wouldn't believe the number of pedestrians who just meander into the road without looking, crossing or otherwise. So carefree on their holidays, they believe they are invincible.

3) ped drivers - a law unto themselves. Do any of them ever look when pulling out?? Honestly, it's a wonder there isn't more traffic incidents already

Can agree with this.

My first time in Ibiza, was crossing a sort of zebra crossing towards that bungee ball thing in San An. We wanted to go on it.

Cars had stopped for us, so I ventured out first.

Just at that moment a scooter came flying across my path!!!

Literally millimetres away from me, there was a girl riding pillion and her long and very fresh smelling hair brushed across my face!!!!!

Could of been a total disaster for me, and the scooter riders.

Happened so quick, it didn’t really sink in till a few minutes later.

I was lucky that night.

In earlier days I remember they rented Kawasaki ZXR 750 ( couple of years ago ).
Some of the tourists had no experience but looks cool. Was a disaster , someone told me. You can see one of them in a building at the Road between Eivissa and Santa Eularia on a roof ( with other Bikes ). I personally use rented Cars , Bus or Taxi. No Scooter.But we discussed here already ...

Last edited:
Back