ibiza 2019 observations

It was the first 30-45 seconds of the original. Genuinely think they didn't give a toss by that point. Didn't hear any Bon Jovi.

One place that wasn't very busy last night was IDOL at Eden where Orbital were playing. I went briefly after Harvey to see the last hour of their set. Musically, it was going well despite the thin numbers on the dance floor. But then they obviously thought "f*** it" and played this:

They played that here at the festival.. Glad I didn't imagine it.. Everyone said they all play it..

One place that wasn't very busy last night was IDOL at Eden where Orbital were playing. I went briefly after Harvey to see the last hour of their set. Musically, it was going well despite the thin numbers on the dance floor. But then they obviously thought "f*** it" and played this:

It was empty for Worakls last months too, it was gutting to see him have to play for an almost empty dance floor. It didn't help that he was on last (presumably his choice). Emanuele Inga B2B with Luca Radez on before the Hungry Music lot were absolute shite, and then Joachim Pastor played a reasonable set, although, for me, he's the weakest of the HM bunch. Then N'to played a good set at "peak dancefloor", by the time Workals came on at 4 the place was emptying out, which was a real shame.

@TimmiT I feel like the party had potential and promoters obviously have investment to keep going, but I'm not sure Eden was the right venue. Sankeys didn't work out for them last year for a combination of factors, but I think it worked better there than where it is now. Apart from the production, the musical identity has had a bit of an overhaul though the residents have stayed the same. Not really sure where this can fit in and thrive in the current landscape.

I've never seen them play before, though I'm familiar with the track Halcyon - and I've never heard this in the version/s I've heard. Why would they do that? It sounds utterly shit.
I really like it :rolleyes: it's worked great every time I've seen it, but that's been in the Hammersmith Apollo packed with Orbital fans. We've all heard cheesy tunes dropped in a set that would never normally work (Fatboy Slim dropped "Love is in the Air" in Amnesia once, and the place went nuts!) and I think it's a case of, at the time time with the right crowd it works, otherwise it sounds shit!

@TimmiT I feel like the party had potential and promoters obviously have investment to keep going, but I'm not sure Eden was the right venue. Sankeys didn't work out for them last year for a combination of factors, but I think it worked better there than where it is now. Apart from the production, the musical identity has had a bit of an overhaul though the residents have stayed the same. Not really sure where this can fit in and thrive in the current landscape.

I was trying to think where Workals would work in Ibiza, Pacha maybe? He's packed every club in Europe I've been to see him before.

I really like it :rolleyes: it's worked great every time I've seen it, but that's been in the Hammersmith Apollo packed with Orbital fans. We've all heard cheesy tunes dropped in a set that would never normally work (Fatboy Slim dropped "Love is in the Air" in Amnesia once, and the place went nuts!) and I think it's a case of, at the time time with the right crowd it works, otherwise it's sounds shit!

Fair point. I'm not adverse to the odd curveball tune, even if it is a slab of mature cheddar. And I guess if you're expecting it as a recurring calling card, then that's something else. But last night just felt bizarre. I don't think there were many Orbital diehards in the room.

Perhaps I'm being overly critical of a tiny % of their set because I was disappointed with the attendance and up to that point I was really enjoying what they were playing.

If they always play it in their sets, stands to reason they would play it here being one of only three dates they've been heavily billed for. As you say, I'm sure any proper fans would've been expecting it and looking forward to it. Perhaps I should've done more research!

If they always play it in their sets, stands to reason they would play it here being one of only three dates they've been heavily billed for. As you say, I'm sure any proper fans would've been expecting it and looking forward to it. Perhaps I should've done more research!
I've only seen them three times I think, so it might not be always!

Does anyone think idol will be cancelled by September? Looking for something low key ISH Monday 9th September CBA for circo loco...

I really like it :rolleyes: it's worked great every time I've seen it, but that's been in the Hammersmith Apollo packed with Orbital fans. We've all heard cheesy tunes dropped in a set that would never normally work (Fatboy Slim dropped "Love is in the Air" in Amnesia once, and the place went nuts!) and I think it's a case of, at the time time with the right crowd it works, otherwise it sounds shit!

They Play Love is in the Air every time at Flower Power in Pacha and the place ist Bookings. Never would hear this for my own , but here it works.

Back