*** ibiza 2018 observations ***

Yes at what point did the clubbing start to go from dancers facing every direction dancing (old clubbing vids)
To modern day everyone facing the dj.
At some point the podiums were turned from facing side to side to facing the DJ, i`d guess 1995? I remember the good old days, winding up the ravers on the other side of the room and starting the clapping going for the breakdowns. Try that now and you just get a stern, confused look!

I'm not picking fights with the guy. I'm just gently telling him that he's talking out of his rectum. I've spent 25+ years hanging around with DJs, some more successful than others, and not one of them could ever be considered a "rockstar". If you think a DJ is a "rockstar" then you are complicit, you are feeding the beast, you are a big part of the problem. I've said this countless times on here but it still doesn't sink in. The hype machine has to perpetuate the MYTH that DJs are rockstars in order to fill venues and dupe kids into thinking they are witnessing a spectacle, it's how you justify ripping people off and compensating for musical mediocrity with attention to vast production but at its core it's really no more a spectacle than watching a train driver er driving his train. Science or Art? - your call. Maybe a bit of both. Maybe neither. Yes great DJs weld sound into something special, they also have unique skillsets, great memories, mathematical minds, technical abilities and a psychologist's ability to read a crowd but they are not GODS because it is still other people's music and nobody is worshipping the records apart from the nerds - and perhaps that is the biggest injustice of all. So when does it become a spectacle? I take the view that there has to be a live element to a set - either improvised instrumentation, vocals or an actual band otherwise who or what the hell are you actually supposed to be looking at?

I’m taking about making music. You know, the thing that is basically a requirement these days if you want to make it.

Are you saying only musicians who play traditional instruments are allowed to be rock stars?

By the way I don’t like the attitude that some of those EDM DJs have, and don’t like the stare at the DJ with cameras in the air, but I understand why.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem sadly is a lot of them confuse the size of their pay cheque with the size of their talent (not just limited to DJs).

I’m taking about making music. You know, the thing that is basically a requirement these days if you want to make it.

Are you saying only musicians who play traditional instruments are allowed to be rock stars?

I wouldn't have quite put it the way he put it lol regarding @Kim Wrong Un but i do agree with him for the most part. I wouldn't consider DJ's rock stars and i think people thinking that way is part of the problem and gets the guys (and gals) heads blown to the size of parade floats. Some... more than others at least are very talented and yes adoration is deserved but it really is overblown these days to the point of ridiculousness. At the end of the day, 90% of the djs you'll see out are just selectors, unless its Jeff Mills up there blowing threw records and smashing them behind him in a techno frenzy then there isn't all that much to see or film or photo anyway. Not to go off on an entirely different tangent but i bet some djs like the pics and filming even if they wont admit because it makes them look good or cool on social media and what not. I think a lot of the well known dj's today dont necessarily need to produce much or even that well to make a name for themselves, in today's world it's more about building a brand and keeping it relevant regardless of whether you put out music or not. The one that pops to mind straight away is Mr Music On himself, dont think he has produced a track in about a decade and he's had no problem staying 'relevant' amongst the masses.

Not talking about mixing, talking about producing. If you don’t mix or produce then you’re pretty much worthless.

Then we're not talking strictly DJing, as originally thought. There are plenty of electronic producers who I regard as highly as other types of musicians.

Saw Denis Sulta for the first time last night. I didn't have any qualms with his track selection - that was on the money. But his mixing was atrocious. Not sure if this is normal, but he was dancing like somebody on ADHD had just done a gram line. Might explain why he tanked so much.

Saw Denis Sulta for the first time last night. I didn't have any qualms with his track selection - that was on the money. But his mixing was atrocious. Not sure if this is normal, but he was dancing like somebody on ADHD had just done a gram line. Might explain why he tanked so much.
It was shit ,, whoever booked him need to be put on the naughty step

This is the future
Buy 80 k likes on fb
Drop lock and load to a student union
Upload video to 80k morons
Get booked to play dc10

Was going from disco to tecno back to disco in 4 tunes

We left a under half empty Pikes at 2 am

I could of stayed and cracked in but it just wasn’t worth it
Think it got busier as a few were arriving but I was done

Pikes is a business it’s lost it’s way for me now
Dennis you can do 1

It was shit ,, whoever booked him need to be put on the naughty step

This is the future
Buy 80 k likes on fb
Drop lock and load to a student union
Upload video to 80k morons
Get booked to play dc10

Was going from disco to tecno back to disco in 4 tunes

We left a under half empty Pikes at 2 am

I could of stayed and cracked in but it just wasn’t worth it
Think it got busier as a few were arriving but I was done

Pikes is a business it’s lost it’s way for me now
Dennis you can do 1
Very sad to hear. So many good DJs around who don’t get the chance

I assumed after he played in the summer he somehow impressed the powers that be at Pikes hence his return. Perhaps the game’s up now though. At Pikes anyway. Did seem like an odd booking from the start.

I’m all for playing across the board but it’s an art form to do it right in a club. I saw Optimo a few weeks back playing in Belfast and they certainly know how it’s done. Dance door full from beginning to end at 1:30am - it was held in the bar of a boxing club in the docks :)

good djing was never solely about mixing skills. its the tune selection that shows a good dj...the right tune at the right time rocks the crowd.

back in the strictly vinyl days i never heard a set with no mistakes. the tech now makes the mixing easier, so it should follow that only those with the best ear for a tune should get the top jobs. sadly reality doesn't reflect this

I mean Jesus! You could probably find an article every year since 1989 about “how the party is over in Ibiza”.

THIS!

I always think the same when I hear people say "Ibiza is dead" or "Ibiza is on its way out" - people have said this for 20-30+ years and its always survived and usually thrived. Ibiza isn't going anywhere anytime soon - it's currently evolving in a direction that many of us don't like, but I still think it will come back around.

Back