*** ibiza 2018 observations ***

Kind of agree that the Music On crowd does attract alot of arrogant Italians. Mainly the women. Barging past people to get near to the front with not a care in the world. I saw one few years ago looked alot like Megan Fox but in a bad way. Lip fillers, cheeks done etc and you had about 5 guys all creeping around as if she was the queen. Massive bag on her back and high heels up to her knees. Seriously!?

A far cry from the bpm festival crowd in Mexico. Those were just south americans up for a dance and a spliff. Only edgyness was the gang members going through the crowd with bandanas covering their faces pushing on gear. So maybe its an Ibiza thing?

Not only that any 'underground' dj that plays 7 nations army isn't worth paying to see. Carola has gone way down the pecking order recently for me

People of a certain vintage just appreciate the good times more (because they have them less frequent) and aren't as concerned about image etc

I'd guess half the people at CW are just relieved to get through it without a heart attack

The last bit of this! My Dad fancies a bit next year. I'll probably bring a shovel with us. Just in case I need to dig a hole......

Man......

What is going on with this forum.....??

I'm afraid I'm going to have to have Life of Rye's back.

He's on here for same reason as everyone else. A fondness for the island of Ibiza. His musical taste may be different. His age may be younger. But jeez not everyone is the same. The world would be a terrible, boring place if we were.

Just noticed a couple threads recently where things maybe are getting a little personal imo because someone doesn't conform to their taste......

Sorry just had to say it......
Bang on. Life of rye might be a million miles from me personally, but he seems a sound honest fella. Not always rising to the bait, from a lot of Criticism which I imagine half of people wouldn’t ever say to his face. Not here for the row but I think he contributes well on this forum wether you like it or not. #justsaying

Clockwork Orange seem to get this bang on.
Now we are talking. Best atmosphere I’ve experienced in Ibiza on a consistent basis. Just full on hedonism, terrific up front eclectic music and a lovely venue. I can’t think of anything that compares in terms of atmosphere apart from the early day cream and up yer ronson radio 1 events at amnesia and privilege.

That’s not to say I haven’t had a great time at loads of other nights on the island. There have been plenty of cool night for the cool kids like renaissance, etc but they didn’t have the attitude that comes with music on and circo et al. But then, back in the day it want without some aggro, you should have seen some of the characters at Garage City.

Last edited by a moderator:
People of a certain vintage just appreciate the good times more (because they have them less frequent) and aren't as concerned about image etc

I'd guess half the people at CW are just relieved to get through it without a heart attack
I’m of that vintage. Lol about the heart attack! I was pleased survive another year. my reflection on Clockwork is in the past tense, not the retro fit model. It’s more a reflection on how the island has changed in some quarters. Music on has always had a similar crowd imo, others have followed suit unfortunately. The fun, up front, euphoric, hedonistic type of night that Clockwork offered just no longer exists and to be fair it hasn’t for years, but then neither has the music that was played there. It’s just one example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bang on. Life of rye might be a million miles from me personally, but he seems a sound honest fella. Not always rising to the bait, from a lot of Criticism which I imagine half of people wouldn’t ever say to his face. Not here for the row but I think he contributes well on this forum wether you like it or not. #justsaying

Coming back from the gym (yeah it‘s true), I would like to add a few points to the debate.

While I appreciate the efforts to calm things down on here, I believe the discussion is not about taking sides. As I see it, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, and even though I for instance tend to be a bit more drastic, that still does not justify personal attacks.

I firmly stand to my opinion as regards music on, while I do not intend to spoil the night for anyone else. It just does not make me feel those positive vibes that I love Ibiza so much for.

As for my part, you will find me at Cocoon closing, on the dancefloor :)
A straw might be involved though:D

Have you agree with you on this one - the only crowds that I would say are worse are potentially Elrow (flavor of the month party with the most non musically educated crowd on the planet) and Paradise (basically 90% ketty Englishmen).

Even back when I did still enjoy Music On (2015/2016 at a push) I would acknowledge that the crowd was still horrific. Full of sheeplike posers all dressed in black. Always a very moody event but I think the vibe on the dancefloor often reflects the ethos of the party and often the head honcho and you can see that from Carola; he didn't crack a smile until 2017 and that for me is NOT what Ibiza is about.
Don’t go to Afterlife then if your after smiles:lol:
Them boys look well fed up.

Hi folks :)

Long time lurker here but first time poster. I have been observing this forum for a while now and there are some really good reviews and useful posts , but I will have to say I have noticed there is a lot of Music snobbery on this forum imo , I feel if someone is to give Music ON or Paradise a good review or good feedback they will get slated by everyone. It all gets a bit personal when somebody has a different taste to someone else. I think this is wrong as everyone has different music tastes, that’s the beauty of Music ! If everyone had the same taste it would be very boring.

Also may I add I love Music On!! I really don’t understand people on this forum saying how bad the atmosphere is. For me and for a lot on people on the island I spoke to including the spainish locals said Music On this year has been one of the best nights on the island! When I went in July I had one of the best nights of my life ! The crowd were amazing , happy positive vibes with lots of cheering and clapping everyone dancing . Really clued up crowd I thought. The Music was incredible, proper tech house that just makes you want to dance your socks off. Not That commercial tech house that’s on the scene right now (which i cannot stand btw) to me that’s what dance music is all about is to make you dance!

I went to Elrow the next day as my friends wanted to experience it, I wasn’t too fussed to be fair, anyhow the atmosphere was night and day difference to music on, it was like a different club. Nobody dancing everyone on their phones , people just stood there looking like zombies . All my group wanted to leave it was that bad.

I have been going Ibiza since 2007 and have been going pretty much been every year , I have been to many parties including cocoon. I personally thought afterlife was moody with no atmosphere! But that’s just me.

Sorry to be a bit negative on my first post :p

Obviously Music On is a highly successful, popular party. Nobody could claim otherwise. People like it. That's legitimate.
But equally legitimate are the opinions of people who don't like it.
Those who don't give fair reasons imo. Nobody is cussing it for the sake of it.

Hi folks :)

Long time lurker here but first time poster. I have been observing this forum for a while now and there are some really good reviews and useful posts , but I will have to say I have noticed there is a lot of Music snobbery on this forum imo , I feel if someone is to give Music ON or Paradise a good review or good feedback they will get slated by everyone. It all gets a bit personal when somebody has a different taste to someone else. I think this is wrong as everyone has different music tastes, that’s the beauty of Music ! If everyone had the same taste it would be very boring.

Also may I add I love Music On!! I really don’t understand people on this forum saying how bad the atmosphere is. For me and for a lot on people on the island I spoke to including the spainish locals said Music On this year has been one of the best nights on the island! When I went in July I had one of the best nights of my life ! The crowd were amazing , happy positive vibes with lots of cheering and clapping everyone dancing . Really clued up crowd I thought. The Music was incredible, proper tech house that just makes you want to dance your socks off. Not That commercial tech house that’s on the scene right now (which i cannot stand btw) to me that’s what dance music is all about is to make you dance!

I went to Elrow the next day as my friends wanted to experience it, I wasn’t too fussed to be fair, anyhow the atmosphere was night and day difference to music on, it was like a different club. Nobody dancing everyone on their phones , people just stood there looking like zombies . All my group wanted to leave it was that bad.

I have been going Ibiza since 2007 and have been going pretty much been every year , I have been to many parties including cocoon. I personally thought afterlife was moody with no atmosphere! But that’s just me.

Sorry to be a bit negative on my first post :p

welcome aboard then :)

you've surely got a point in the sense that a lot of long time forumers do not particularly like paradise and/or music on. but both of them are massively successful nights and that speaks volumes.

I actually confirm what you are saying though. music on has had really good feedback this year from people that normally wouldn't rate it so much - mostly because it's not that badly rammed anymore as used to be the case a few years ago. that changes the crowd a little (which was my main issue with the night in previous years) and just the other day my wife and I said we should actually go and give it another chance now.

welcome aboard then :)

you've surely got a point in the sense that a lot of long time forumers do not particularly like paradise and/or music on. but both of them are massively successful nights and that speaks volumes.

I actually confirm what you are saying though. music on has had really good feedback this year from people that normally wouldn't rate it so much - mostly because it's not that badly rammed anymore as used to be the case a few years ago. that changes the crowd a little (which was my main issue with the night in previous years) and just the other day my wife and I said we should actually go and give it another chance now.

To be completely honest my first time at Music On was last year in September when Carl Cox was playing on the terrace with Carola , the music was amazing as expected but it was unbearably busy. This year it was just comfortable busy with room to dance. That made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. Like I said I had one the best nights I have ever had on the island . Bear in mind on my date I had Matthias Tanzmann with Carola on the terrace and Pac Osuna in the main room , if you were to pick a date with Jamie Jones or the Martinez bro’s I would expect it to be rammed like Previous years.

Maybe you guys were right with how busy it used to be past years, but I do recommend you try it again :) just don’t pick the date with the Martinez bro’s as that will draw a bigger crowd imo.

That’s a bit harsh to be fair, do you personally know this guy to identifying him as sad or are you one those people that judges the books by their covers? What happened to the spirit of Ibiza where you can be yourself without fearing to be judged by someone by what they wear or what type of music they like?
RE: Music On and the attitude of its attendees, it simply down to an over crowding issue, being squashed liken sardines you are bound to be pushed around and then get irritable and not enjoy as much. I have been in the past on a very busy nights and hated it, I have been this season on a lesser crowded night and the atmosphere was completely different, friendlier and most importantly people were actually dancing.

Sorry, but I don't agree. Music On has been bearable busy this season, even in August. It's not the rammed out affair it used to be.
And yet the argy bargy attitude and seedy element still exists.

Like I said, I have experienced all you are saying in the past but none of it this time around, maybe I was just lucky that the night I went, the a***holes had a night off!

Back