Ibiza '08 - highs/lows

I can't believe people are still regurgitating the same points over and over.... why do people get so defensive on here? do you all work for the ibiza tourism board? :rolleyes:

it wasn't articulate, but I gave a warts n all snapshot view of a long weekend in Ibiza - where I didn't have a lot of time, was compromised by being with some good mates some of whom I won't see again for a long time, and so i didn't have the luxury of being able to travel around the island and do whatever I wanted. Now, I agree (like I've said before) I should've planned it better but additional budget, geography constraints meant that wasn't an option

You like Space - hooray! - for me, it is an anti-house, commercial, full of twats, and didn't even look all that... an extortionate monster for people who don't have a clue or give a damn about the roots - but who've been seduced by all the incessant hype... you like bora bora? for me it was overrated, access to the sea was blocked off, and the music was crap... you say I can't comment about the history, maybe you're right? but I've read a lot of history and a lot of mates have been and influenced me and given me an insight - that's a good starting point + I've spent a lot of time in Catalunya, which shares a lot of Ibizan culture - I speak the languages and know Spanish culture inside out, which gives me more authority than most..

That's how much it costs! Deal with it!

well mr multimillionaire - you may not give a damn that people are ripped off but it screws people over when you have to save for months for a holiday then you're treated like cattle by big clubs - that's NOT what it should be about - even London doesn't charge those kinds of figures and most places are under a tenner now anyway

yes, I was naive! I know! - and won't be repeating those mistakes. I commented on how I dearly loved the islands (ie the bits you ignored) and will definitely be back but next time, it's all about the underground

cheers.

EDIT - I don't want to argue about this - pointless. Guess I just can't handle massive, anodyne clubs anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:
Morbyd (for once ;)) I agree with most of what you're written there.........
Not the first time, won't be the last :lol: ;)

you're not telling me that you think the change of no daytime clubbing is a change for the better.
I think there's a lot of sides to this argument. My feeling is the new laws are a reaction to people really pushing the boundaries under the laws that existed (or in many cases, just plain flaunting the law). Some of the locals just got fed up. You have to sympathize.

But pendulums swing both way and I think the rules will get relaxed again at some point. Maybe they'll introduce some system for licensing daytime parties and, if people comply, then everything will be fine.

But I'm a night person by nature so, while I do enjoy dancing in the sunshine, it's never been my top reason for going to Ibiza. Many days, I'd much prefer to drive off to some other corner of the island, visit a different beach or village or something, then hit the clubs in the evening.

I can't believe people are still regurgitating the same points over and over.... why do people get so defensive on here? do you all work for the ibiza tourism board? :rolleyes:
Nope... but if you hear of a job at the Ibiza tourist board, specifically one that will pay me to live on the island, I'd gladly accept! :lol:

We can argue the finer points of it, and some of what we disagree are matters of taste.

What drives me nuts is that, having been there a weekend, you've bought into this year's fashion of bashing Ibiza as some place that's "over". It isn't. Ibiza rocks. If you can't find your good time there, especially a music lover like you, then you just didn't look hard enough! (yes, your reasons for that duly noted, so then don't knock the place!)

There's a whole new youth over in Ibiza at the moment, having a whale of a time. I know about 30 young'uns (18-24) who are working there this season, going to smaller, more intimate parties that are going on in the day and night. And they are loving it!

Ok so things have changed for the big nights, but there's a new breed of smaller nights coming through that I bet are going to be just as good.

Olly, i'm sure you are a great person and i really got nothing against you, however i get the feeling (from your posts in several parts of these forums) that you simply don't belong in Ibiza!
Nothing personal, just business...

Last edited by a moderator:
FCUKIN HELL!! All these people moaning about Ibiza! I wish i could get a free weekend/week etc to get myself over there and party hard all night just to be given the chance to moan about it!! Where in the world do you get a line up like you do there nearly every night of the week???

If this is all you have to worry about in life then you ain't doing badly!! Some people act like little spoilt b@stards!!

As for the music, I think it's a good as it ever has been if not better. Far better than round 99 when trance was the forerunner(imo but each to their own) and far better than some of the old harcore sh1te which we pretend was wicked back in the day! Listen to it now, most of it is bloody awful!! However that was then and this is now. Life/things/people change and so we make do with the tools that we have!

Rant over. Love you all. Kissy kissy.

I think I can safely say that what Olly is saying is that apart from that trip when he was a lad he's had to listen to years and years of poeople banging on about how ''special'' Ibiza is etc etc blah blah and when he took the plunge and went back for 'The Experience'' as it were the poke he forked out did no justice to what he experienced.

I fully agree with him, hence the reason I doubt I will be going back after my week there in June.....felt like I was getting my ass rimmed out every time I went to the bar/paid to get into a club etc etc

ffs I couldn't even lay on a sun lounger at Cal Jondal (after spending $$ at the bar beforehand) without some schmuck wanting to take a tenner off me for the pleasure

Anyway, like I said, it feels like it's a whole lot of buck for not a lot of whack now.

basically, if you don't think its good anymore don't come back.

people have been writing ibiza off since the early 90s and there have been at least 3 or 4 times since then when it's "defo been over".

as for the prices, for many things it is the same as it was 10 years ago, if not cheaper. (current exchange rate doen't help either) - club entry, a cocktail in ibiza town, a fry up, a flight, etc, etc.

anyway, see you in corsica or ayai napa or crotia or wherever else is the next big thing.;)

Not the first time, won't be the last :lol: ;)

I think there's a lot of sides to this argument. My feeling is the new laws are a reaction to people really pushing the boundaries under the laws that existed (or in many cases, just plain flaunting the law). Some of the locals just got fed up. You have to sympathize.

But pendulums swing both way and I think the rules will get relaxed again at some point. Maybe they'll introduce some system for licensing daytime parties and, if people comply, then everything will be fine.

But I'm a night person by nature so, while I do enjoy dancing in the sunshine, it's never been my top reason for going to Ibiza. Many days, I'd much prefer to drive off to some other corner of the island, visit a different beach or village or something, then hit the clubs in the evening.

:lol: Report back to me after September and tell me you don't miss the daytime clubbing ;)

you say I can't comment about the history, maybe you're right? but I've read a lot of history and a lot of mates have been and influenced me and given me an insight - that's a good starting point + I've spent a lot of time in Catalunya, which shares a lot of Ibizan culture - I speak the languages and know Spanish culture inside out, which gives me more authority than most..

sorry but this is laughable.

so what you lived in barcelona and know "spanish culture inside out"..........what authority does that give you exactly?

to decide whether ibiza is good or not?! as i said, if you don't like it, see ya! if you do, fins aviat!

Secondly, I was just in Croatia (Dubrovnik, specifically). It was not cheaper at all and the clubbing was crap.
Yep!

Be that as it may Johnny, but be honest Exit was just as much, if not more fun as Ibiza has ever been and I spent a lot less that I would of done over the same period in Ibiza.

I agree with olly and i've been 5 times , and they fact that everyone on these forums seem to think they were born and bred in ibiza and know it all get a grip

ffs I couldn't even lay on a sun lounger at Cal Jondal (after spending $$ at the bar beforehand) without some schmuck wanting to take a tenner off me for the pleasure
Was this your first time at a beach? :lol:
I'm pretty sure that every beach resort I've visited, everywhere I've been in the world, takes money for using their sun loungers (Exceptions being if you're staying in a hotel with its own section of beach.)

I fully agree with him, hence the reason I doubt I will be going back after my week there in June.....felt like I was getting my ass rimmed out every time I went to the bar/paid to get into a club etc etc
I've said this in another thread before - the pricing is relative! I've pay similar bar prices around Moscow every week. Difference is, here there's no entry fee... but here there also aren't 5 of the world's best DJs on the bill every single night either!

Be that as it may Johnny, but be honest Exit was just as much, if not more fun as Ibiza has ever been and I spent a lot less that I would of done over the same period in Ibiza.
Agreed, Exit was an absolute blast.

But it's a very different experience, only 4 days, and nothing much to do outside of the festival itself. You're comparing apples to oranges, Rob.

I agree with olly and i've been 5 times , and they fact that everyone on these forums seem to think they were born and bred in ibiza and know it all get a grip

that wouldn't be anything like olly's attitude of "i know spanish culture inside out" then, which somehow gives him some "authority" about ibiza.......:idea:

Was this your first time at a beach? :lol:
I'm pretty sure that every beach resort I've visited, everywhere I've been in the world, takes money for using their sun loungers (Exceptions being if you're staying in a hotel with its own section of beach.)

I've said this in another thread before - the pricing is relative! I've pay similar bar prices around Moscow every week. Difference is, here there's no entry fee... but here there also aren't 5 of the world's best DJs on the bill every single night either!

No it was the first time I have ever been on a beach :rolleyes: the fact that I spent about £25 at the bloke's bar . . . . you get me? There are places (beach bars) around the world that offer the use of their beds provided you a ''customer'', I was certainly that.

And re the bar prices/general feeling of being ripped off, it boils down to the fact that regardless who is on the bill paying £40 to enter a club then £10 for a beer each time I have never, NEVER felt that it was worth the money, good, yes. But not worth a £200 odd-hole in my pocket.

Anyway's . . . . .

Agreed, Exit was an absolute blast.

But it's a very different experience, only 4 days, and nothing much to do outside of the festival itself. You're comparing apples to oranges, Rob.

Im not Mate. I only ever go to Ibiza for a long weekend these days, so its basically the same as going to Exit for a long weekend. And in My opinion there is no where thats better that listening to some good tunes with your pals that a castle in Serbia.

Dont get me wrong Ibiza will always have a special place in my heart, but for me the world is a big place and by spending my time and money in Ibiza, im missing out on the bigger picture.

Back