How's Your Decade Been?

I think the biggest phenomenon of the decade is surely social networking/social media? in 1999, the internet was still pretty primitive (I still thought using hotmail was pretty cool) - nobody could have foreseen just how it would completely take over and leave even the mighty Rupert Murdoch in a cold sweat

Mmmmm....

I've got a horrible feeling he will end up laughing. He's going to have Cameron sucking from the hose.

Mmmmm....

I've got a horrible feeling he will end up laughing. He's going to have Cameron sucking from the hose.

true - but I'm not sure how either can hold back the tide of the internet? unless, you go down the chinese route and restrict people's access altogether? (but how, in a free society?) The traditional newspaper business model is being forced to adapt to the 21st century and that will inevitably lead to an atomised industry with far less influence - and I really do think the tycoons know this and are kakking themselves - if the advertisers don't keep up then those papers will die... if one paper charges for its site, people will just flock elsewhere (pay a weekly subscription for Clarkson or Gaunty? I. don't. think. so.) so I just don't see how Murdoch will get away with charging people?

evne though the decade still has a full year to go...

You still with same partner you entered the decade with? No partner

Same home? No.

Moved country? Twice

Loss: Father to cancer, innocence, a few brain cells

Gains: Experience, appreciation

It's not internet what is ruinning life's is their ludopatia (addiction to gambling).

Yes, but the internet has made it a 24hour, 365 day open shop for them.

Its like giving an alcoholic a key to every bar and off license on the planet.

In fairness I feel like I spent the first half of the decade in a bit of a wilderness catching up with myself and 'putting right what once went wrong' (as they say in Quantum Leap)... So I look back at myself at the turn of the century with immense fondness as I'd never then imagined how things have turned themselves around. If I was with the same woman (urgh!), in the same house (technically the en suite in Brighton, but for the sake of arguement...), had all the hangups I had and all the other things I was into at the time I wouldn't nearly be answering this thread with such relish :D

Though since more than made up for lost time, developed an army of friends that I genuinely feel sorry for those without; became Uncle to the most beautiful, cute, genius, darling Neice, and with the recent purchase of The Flat that I thought was genuinely originally beyond my wildest dreams when I first viewed it, it's sealed this decade as smashing the back doors in of the other two for fun and memories and progression into making me what I am today! :lol:

Regrets I've had a few etc, some of the heart, some of the brain, one of a stubborn mate which I fell out with in bizarre circumstances that all felt like armageddon at the time, but at the end of the day they're all massive adventures that will warrant a chapter in the memoirs and as yet haven't killed me 8)

So after having far too much fun with a view to making the most of my youth in the last 10 years I hope to continue in that spirit and maybe now incorporate a touch of responsibility into my diet 8) Cheers! :lol:

Where did it all go right?

http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=11115

:lol:

You still with same partner you entered the decade with? No

Same home? No. Still in same town though (St. Austell in Cornwall), renting a 2 bed house with a mate

Moved country? I wish - I would like a villa in Ibiza and a townhouse in New York - maybe Euromillions will come through for me soon!

Losses: Hair, brain cells, innocence, certain morals, money, a couple of cars, free time

Gains: Weight, debt, some bad habits, some good habits, confidence, addiction to t'internet, happiness, learned to be a lot calmer, Golf (the sport), love of cycling, love of Ibiza, love of festivals - in particular Glastonbury, love of food, certain morals, lots of music, diplomacy, morris dancing, knitting novelty woollen xmas jumpers

You still with same partner you entered the decade with? Not quite - got together in 2000

Same home? no, moved twice

Moved country? yes, edinburgh to london. moving to barcelona in 2010 for a year, maybe more...

Losses: brain cells apart from that been lucky enough to not lose anything really important unless you count the 2 vespas that were nicked within 6 months of each other. broke my heart! oh and 5 grueling years working for a bully boss.

Gains: husband, cat, many amazing friends, 5 houses (investments!), conversational spanish, travel experiences ranging from thailand and australia to all over europe plus bi-annual pilgrimages to ibiza and a 10 year career that I'm about to abandon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not with the same partner thank god!

Moved house twice since the start of the decade.

No real losses

Gains, A wife and a lot of really great friends!

Im still working for the same company but now in my third job.

All in all i think the 00's have been awesome best decade yet with hopefully more of the same to come!

Am i still with the same partner?...was single then, and after a few in between relationships...single again!

Moved house 3 times since

Losses: some great friends, a boyfriend, my great social life!....what went wrong!
Also several good jobs like working for myself!Lost weight too! Yay!

Gains: A sister in law, who lives in the states (with my bro) so great holidays for me, Seen loads of countries on lots of holidays, gained 3 puppies, some new friends- new social life! yay!

I prefered the 90's to this decade...so many fantastic memories, especially in ibiza!
Lets hope the next decade is the best!:)

You still with same partner you entered the decade with? Yes, married for eons :)

Same home? No, moved around quite a lot, same house now for 4 years though.

Moved country? No, spent 4 years in channel islands at the start of the decade my best offer!

Losses: A couple of friends died way too young

Gains: Little boy 4, and girl 1. Children have been the most profound experience imaginable. Wish we had started sooner and had 5 or 6. Finding Ibiza.

YThe most Polarised experience ever. A full blown mental plummet into depression and hospital, my dad dying measured with some fantastic successes as a designer and the birth of my daughter.That's the short version!

Back