Hip Hop?

Not a big rap head but, I would not put Big L in the class with Jay Z. RIP no telling what he would have done if he had lived?

Although he achieved no where near the same commercial success or credit , personally I would put him up there with some of the greats. Purely in terms of all round rapping ability I think he is up there. His stories are less credible than Jay Z but his delivery is top notch

The album did come out after his death ( The Big Picture i think it was called) and is brilliant , very witty. Got the vinyl somewhere

Although he achieved no where near the same commercial success or credit , personally I would put him up there with some of the greats. Purely in terms of all round rapping ability I think he is up there. His stories are less credible than Jay Z but his delivery is top notch

The album did come out after his death ( The Big Picture i think it was called) and is brilliant , very witty. Got the vinyl somewhere

Although not a fan of the song, I still like Big L. Just wanted to get that straight.

I once started talking to a couple out there who, it transpired, hated dance music .

I went to Ibiza with a couple who hated dance music but were that desperate to be part of the ahem...."in-crowd" (yes I am that cool... :lol:) that they came anyway. It was a miserable holiday for all parties. I don't even think Westwood would have helped that situation

They wanted to come again this year when they found out a few of us were going....:rolleyes:

Westwood in Ibiza?! The man himself couldn't DREAM of such an honour!!!...

However, stranger things have happened...

I think you'll find you are WRONG ...

Westwood was in Ibiza in 2006.. He did a night in In San An somewhere ( I think it was just one night) but I was in Santa Eulalia that year having a quiet one, I only made it to Pacha once, to Rennaissance.

Uhh Big L was about 2 weeks away from signing to Roc-A-Fella before he was mistakenly killed because they assailants thought he was his brother. He definitely could have been the next big thing, next to Jay-Z and coming up on his label but theres no telling. Only reason he was holding out from signing that major deal was because he wanted to bring his brother and a friend along with him and have them signed on to the deal with him, but Jay wouldn't have it, at least not at that moment. Might have eventually caved but we'll never know. As for hip-hop, I'm probably the most knowledgeable to the topic on the forums (not even trying to brag, I'm just sayin', when it comes to that genre, I guarantee I'm the most credible source here), I wouldn't be going to Ibiza to find 'hip-hop'. People have different opinions of what hip-hop is, and where to draw the line between hip-hop and gangsta rap...it's all in the ear of the beholder, if that makes sense. Personally I'd say the closest things to REAL hip-hop these days are those UK Rappers...Dizzee Ras, Tinchy Stryder, or Tinie Tempah...the US market is a totally different playing field and these guys may listen to Pac and Biggie and think they can relate but it's a whole different game.

Uhh Big L was about 2 weeks away from signing to Roc-A-Fella before he was mistakenly killed because they assailants thought he was his brother. He definitely could have been the next big thing, next to Jay-Z and coming up on his label but theres no telling. Only reason he was holding out from signing that major deal was because he wanted to bring his brother and a friend along with him and have them signed on to the deal with him, but Jay wouldn't have it, at least not at that moment. Might have eventually caved but we'll never know. As for hip-hop, I'm probably the most knowledgeable to the topic on the forums (not even trying to brag, I'm just sayin', when it comes to that genre, I guarantee I'm the most credible source here), I wouldn't be going to Ibiza to find 'hip-hop'. People have different opinions of what hip-hop is, and where to draw the line between hip-hop and gangsta rap...it's all in the ear of the beholder, if that makes sense. Personally I'd say the closest things to REAL hip-hop these days are those UK Rappers...Dizzee Ras, Tinchy Stryder, or Tinie Tempah...the US market is a totally different playing field and these guys may listen to Pac and Biggie and think they can relate but it's a whole different game.
:eek:

I would big to differ with you on you being the most knowledgeable about hip-hop. This is a case of you leaping before you look.

Well I have a collection of over 800 gigs of Hip-Hop/R&B/Rap...I listen to the stuff all day, and I'm from south of Philadelphia...it doesn't get much realer than that. Like I said, I'm not bragging it, just stating, when it comes to that genre not many people have my mind beat...maybe Russell Simmons. Now electro/house/techno/trance. I'm a newb. You guys would blow me away when it comes to that stuff. But I've lived the hip-hop lifestyle. I grew up at its mercy. I've done things and seen things you might not believe. I've recently embraced the house scene as I enjoy all forms of music and I've gained friends from Miami who are house DJs and producers, and as hip-hop has flamed out, but some artists are reviving it.

Oh and I see you're from Jersey, and you're a DJ apparently, so you can't be far off from my knowledge. I'm not saying you aren't as knowledgeable as I, just saying I have a pretty firm grip of the genre, as opposed to our European friends.

Who said pop isn't hip-hop? It's just a matter of crossing that boundary from underground to mainstream. If you're writing your own lyrics and have a message to pass on, a story to tell, that is hip-hop. If you live what you rap, that's hip-hop.

And what I meant as they're the closest thing to 'hip-hop' nowadays is their style and delivery. In the states, I could show you artists you've never heard who's lyrical content and deliveries would blow your mind and question what the genre has become.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who said pop isn't hip-hop? It's just a matter of crossing that boundary from underground to mainstream. If you're writing your own lyrics and have a message to pass on, a story to tell, that is hip-hop. If you live what you rap, that's hip-hop.

thanks for the tutorial but there hasn't been any real message in hiphop for years, pretty since much nas, dre, timbaland and jayz revolutionised the blueprint for the bling generation.

For real passionate, angry hiphop you have to go back to the 80s - what followed is a lame pastiche and the rappers you hear now are the puppets of record companies. The music with the eurosynth underlays is barely hiphop at all and aimed squarely at the ringtone market.

anyway this was all discussed earlier in the thread....

oh no they're not

they're pop stars.

and about as hiphop as Barbara Bush

I agree Olly.

Old school hip-hop (If you don't know Google them)

Eric B and Rakim

EPMD

KRS one

Force MD's

NWA

Ice-T

Cool DJ Herc

Kool Moe Dee

New school

Notorious Big

Tupac

Jay-z

Nas

DMX

Wu-Tang clan group and solo

Snoop dog

Master P

I

New New School

Kanye West

Lil Wayne

Wiz Khalifa

Nicki Minaj

I don't like all of the artist but they are on the scene today.

Glad to be of service! Hope you learned something informative.

I all ready have learned from the content of other posts I've seen of yours that you're the local sarcastic troll of the boards, which, if this was 5 years ago I'd stage a coup to dethrone you, but I care not to appear as the wittiest person on an internet forum. But I think the guy who started the thread was looking for a place in Ibiza to hear the Americanized form of music known as hip-hop, not the 80's roots hip-hop, which, although I've never been to Ibiza, I wouldn't go there expected to find that form of music. Me personally, I'm not confined to the 'lame pastiche and the rappers we hear now that are puppets of record companies'. Each side of the pond has it's own view on this subject, obviously, and yours appears to be fueled by the mainstream elements (hence your reference to Nas, Dre, Timbo, and Jay).

Glad to be of service! Hope you learned something informative.

I all ready have learned from the content of other posts I've seen of yours that you're the local sarcastic troll of the boards, which, if this was 5 years ago I'd stage a coup to dethrone you, but I care not to appear as the wittiest person on an internet forum. But I think the guy who started the thread was looking for a place in Ibiza to hear the Americanized form of music known as hip-hop, not the 80's roots hip-hop, which, although I've never been to Ibiza, I wouldn't go there expected to find that form of music. Me personally, I'm not confined to the 'lame pastiche and the rappers we hear now that are puppets of record companies'. Each side of the pond has it's own view on this subject, obviously, and yours appears to be fueled by the mainstream elements (hence your reference to Nas, Dre, Timbo, and Jay).

amazing

I unfortunately have to go out now. I'll deal with you later

Back