Hip Hop?

So wait, Dizzee Ras, Tinchy, and Tinie are pop stars, but Jay-Z, Kanye, Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj aren't? Hmm...I beg to differ.

I love Jay...he's my favorite rapper all time. Kinda hard to grow up in the 90's and him not be your favorite rapper, but long ago he crossed into becoming a pop artist. If he wasn't a pop artist he would have really retired from music the first time he said he was going to.

I'm not going to argue with you. If you think I'm a troll then you need to visit specsavers

this for me is what quality 21st century hiphop sounds like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8DPLwzON8

not that pop nonsense you were talking about

I like the groove and the lyrics the song pays homage to the old school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPfIIn5V_LQ

Hip hop has evolved from rapping over records in the beginning to the 808 beats and now there is a R&B singer on about every song.

Last edited by a moderator:
I listen to the stuff all day, and I'm from south of Philadelphia...

I havent got a clue about hip hop but I wasn't expecting that from your name. Good to see you've embraced football. Shame you've been converted to Real though.

I've definitely heard hip hop in one of the rooms at Pacha in recent years..
Not sure anyone would play it in a main room after the armand van helden Space moment

Well I have a collection of over 800 gigs of Hip-Hop/R&B/Rap...I listen to the stuff all day, and I'm from south of Philadelphia...it doesn't get much realer than that. Like I said, I'm not bragging it, just stating, when it comes to that genre not many people have my mind beat...maybe Russell Simmons. Now electro/house/techno/trance. I'm a newb. You guys would blow me away when it comes to that stuff. But I've lived the hip-hop lifestyle. I grew up at its mercy. I've done things and seen things you might not believe. I've recently embraced the house scene as I enjoy all forms of music and I've gained friends from Miami who are house DJs and producers, and as hip-hop has flamed out, but some artists are reviving it.

I have listen to hip-hop since the days of the Sugarhill gang, Grandmaster flash and the furious five.

The dude is right tho. You cant say no one in hip hop is saying anything real any more and then list a load mainstream artists as your reference for what was real. Im sure theres plenty of amazing stuff going on that we have absolutely no clue about. Similarly our friend here probs doesnt know all the underground uk stuff if he's referencing tinie tempah , tynchy etc . Look up Taskforce or Jehst amongst others if you want real hip hop coming from the uk , the guy produces his beats , mc's and was a decent graffer all he needs to do is break as well and he literally is hip hop haha

It is just like house tracks, anything that is good will be caned. The capitalist make money off of all new trends. All music forms House, electro, Dub step, techno,trance, and hip=hop. All have gone commercial, if they don't sell they will die off or stay local. Once a tune is played and sold it is no longer underground that is a fact of life.

I'm not going to argue with you. If you think I'm a troll then you need to visit specsavers

I was just busting balls. I'm sure you're no super troll, but from the content of a few posts I've seen of yours before I signed up, you seem to have that edge towards others opinions. Apologies that we got off on the wrong foot, I'm just very defensive.

I havent got a clue about hip hop but I wasn't expecting that from your name. Good to see you've embraced football. Shame you've been converted to Real though.

Oh, football is amazing. I finally lost my American anti-football close mindedness around 2003. You can actually blame EA Sports for me falling in love with the beautiful game. And my knowledge for the game is pretty well rounded. Definitely not a Real supporter though, just figured since Ibiza is in Spain, and Iker is the National Teams' keeper, I'd get a warm reception from the Spaniards with this name. I'm actually on the other end of the Madrid spectrum. Atletico is who I support in La Liga. Chelsea in the Prem tho...Keep the Blue Flag Flying High! Got a little score to settle tomorrow at Old Trafford...Torres needs to show up. He's actually the reason I started to support Atletico. Him making the move to Chelsea was like a dream come true for me. My brother is a Liverpool supporter so when he made the move to Anfield it broke my heart...but now all is forgiven. He just needs to get that monkey off his back and get back into form.

I have listen to hip-hop since the days of the Sugarhill gang, Grandmaster flash and the furious five.

I dunno if you noticed but the post after that I stated that I realized you're from NJ and apparently a DJ. GMF&F5 is my ish, but we come from 2 different generations of hip-hop. I have my opinions on which era/artists is/are the best, you'll have yours.

The dude is right tho. You cant say no one in hip hop is saying anything real any more and then list a load mainstream artists as your reference for what was real. Im sure theres plenty of amazing stuff going on that we have absolutely no clue about. Similarly our friend here probs doesnt know all the underground uk stuff if he's referencing tinie tempah , tynchy etc . Look up Taskforce or Jehst amongst others if you want real hip hop coming from the uk , the guy produces his beats , mc's and was a decent graffer all he needs to do is break as well and he literally is hip hop haha

Yea, when it comes to the UK scene I do only know those few artist, but I'm open to learning about whats underneath the crust. I just meant that their delivery and musical content was more in line with the classic hip-hop of the late 80's early 90's and less like the stuff of the late 90's early 2000's.

The kinda stuff I'm mostly into though is hardcore rap. I love the mainstream artists as much as I love the guys that fly under the radar. Here's a guy who made it, but didn't maintain it, a personal favorite of mine when it comes to straight rapping, no hooks, and a good idea of the style I'm into when it comes to hip-hop.

http://youtu.be/NvMDQ6VJD6o

Everyone has there tastes. I didn't feel the music from the link you put up. That being said people have their own likes and dislikes. There is a lot of musical knowledge here in the forum. I'm into funky house but will give anything a listen or go to a club and check it out once. Just like Garage is big in the UK I just don't like it. I'm open minded just because I don't like it doesn't mean it is trash. Let peace rain down on the board.

jay,I was staying in NYC at the time these were hitting the radio,buzzing!
On the downside there was also a lot of Billy Idol and A Flock of Seagulls...

That's it. Everyone lay off him.

Cough Cough :lol::lol::lol::lol: - Actualy Morbyd what is it the the Yanks and Chelsea, i deal with loads of them and they all seem to follow that plastic SW London team ?

As for Hip Hop im not a great fan but i love the street sounds stuff Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick etc i love it !

Back