Heads up! BBC4 dance music documentary 10pm tonight

That was an interesting double bill, with neither programme being what I expected. Be interested to hear everyone's thoughts!

Ibiza Silent Movie, I learned some new info about Ibiza, some of the videotograghpy and sound track could definitely been better but the history was interesting, it kept me watching.
Everybody in the place, Nice to see what the younger generation thinks about dance music and its connectivity and influence.

I can see why Ibiza The Silent Movie isn't universally liked. It's irreverent and the historical re-enactments are cheesy. It also spends much of its time in the distant past. It definitely feels like a sillier screen version of The White Isle. I really liked it, though, when it jumped to footage of more recent history.

Everybody in the Place I thought was excellent. I really liked the teaching format and there were some interesting links and ideas explored. It felt pretty fresh considering that subject and period in history has been covered so many times previously.

Never realised M People were so disliked. Thought it was just pop music with dance-leaning sentiments. Loads of other more brash guff about at the time, wasn't there?

Admittedly, they never appealed to me. But you can't deny Heather Small has a cracking sent of lungs on her.
[Insert tired boobs joke here] ;)

I was really disappointed with both The Silent Movie and Everybody in the Place documentary. They really over-hyped the documentary and basically you saw all the best bits in the trailer. Similar with The Silent movie....very slow-paced, hard to get into. Historical bits were crap....not sure if they were meant to be ironic or whatever, but whatever it was, it did not work.

I was interested enough to keep watching...but my girlfriend who is not that into Ibiza as me, was nodding off! Could have been so much better. They had the opportunity to show some great old footage, but didn't take it. 2 stars (out of 5)

Finally got round to watching Everybody In The Place and found using the Politics students to watch the footage a missed opportunity as there wasnt a lot of reaction from the students. A large number of the class were Muslim and wont have and are unlikely ever to see a gay club or even a straight nightclub for obvious reasons, they have no idea what has or hasnt changed from 1988-1992 to now.

Im not a Tommy Robinson supporter :D far from it...but might have been better with a class of white working class who've at least snuck into a few clubs and know what its all about and have something to say.

Finally got round to watching Everybody In The Place and found using the Politics students to watch the footage a missed opportunity as there wasnt a lot of reaction from the students. A large number of the class were Muslim and wont have and are unlikely ever to see a gay club or even a straight nighclub for obvious reasons, they have no idea what has or hasnt changed from 1988-1992 to now.

That's a bit bizarre. Do you think all Muslims don't drink? Or if they don't drink, do you think that necessarily stops them from going to clubs? What about parties? How easy is it to sneak into a club underage these days anyway? Also, one of the biggest changes I took away from it was social media - surely something they can all relate to, whether they've been in a club or not? I'm guessing the demographics you saw in that classroom are fairly typical of that part of the country?

That's a bit bizarre. Do you think all Muslims don't drink? Or if they don't drink, do you think that necessarily stops them from going to clubs? What about parties? How easy is it to sneak into a club underage these days anyway? Also, one of the biggest changes I took away from it was social media - surely something they can all relate to, whether they've been in a club or not? I'm guessing the demographics you saw in that classroom are fairly typical of that part of the country?

Of course im aware some drink on the sly, but I have never in over 15 years of clubbing seen someone in a club in a headscarf. The class just felt a bit detatched from it and quiet to me, ive seen shows where modern kids watch old TV for example and they've been in fits of laughter or just vocal about it all, but could of course be the editing or what the producer was going for.

And when asked if any felt English, not one put their hand up. And one said they went to Oxford and didn’t like it as it was full of white people.

The students were part of a politics class, which is fair enough, as he tied the rave scene to the miners' strikes. It wasn't just about raving.

Would anything have been gained if the audience were drunk or stoned? I actually thought the looks on the faces of the audience were pretty interesting.

Back