Heads up! BBC4 dance music documentary 10pm tonight

Always going to piss some people off, I always hate the whole Tong and Oakenfold 'we invented house music' story.

Thought the Belleville Three bit with Atkins, Saunderson and May was really interesting. Amazing to think three nerds from a small school in America would have such a huge influence on the world.

Look forward to the rest of it, probably going to hate the EDM part.

Yes carino still sounds amazing - one of the best uk house records. I think the whole north v south argument is hilarious. It really came down to whatever your local record dealer had in stock. But it was deffo in the uk pre-ibiza 87 and pre-E. Greg wilson has written a lot about this.

It might be shite Jon, but Mike Pickering and Graeme Park shaped the north west music scene to a point of unmeasurable history.
M People was the pay cheque for Mike

I know Pickering did something credible before M people and also that some dude connected with M people played on Chemical Brothers tracks, but that still doesn't excuse how awful M people were/are. I know enough people who think M people ARE dance music. Scary shit.

Wasn't so keen on this weeks, the pacing seemed all over the place one minute we were at the Hacienda next minute at Ushuaia with Guetta.

Wasn't any mention of dance music booming around the millennium before crashing badly in the early 00s, we just seemed to skip from circa 1999 to circa 2009

I know enough people who think M people ARE dance music. Scary shit.
This made me think of a time when a girl I knew was getting really stressed out over scoring some pills as she was going to see M People live back in the days. While she was ever so excited in anticipation I kept thinking “What a f***ing* waste of good pills!”
Each to their own I suppose.

Never realised M People were so disliked. Thought it was just pop music with dance-leaning sentiments. Loads of other more brash guff about at the time, wasn't there?

Admittedly, they never appealed to me. But you can't deny Heather Small has a cracking sent of lungs on her.

Back