Heads up! BBC4 dance music documentary 10pm tonight

I was shattered friday night but stayed up to watch this, ended up falling asleep on the couch half-way through and when I woke they were talking about EDM in Vegas... had a serious wtf moment, sounds like I didn't miss much anyway!

Enjoyed this weeks a lot more, even though it was more EDM focused, much better pace and timeline of events, also a few things I didn't know like Trance being massive in Eastern Europe in the 90s

Aoki confirmed his status of complete bell-end "if I'm bringing $1 million into the club for that night, i want $500,000"
Id stick that sponge cake right up his arse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bushwacka just posted this...

There has been a huge amount of talk on here spawned by the BBC documentary on the origins of our music scene, and an unbelievable amount of ranting and slagging off the misguided facts, wrongly spelled words, and omissions of desperate to be remembered DJ names from yesteryear. All this " yeah but he did it first, yeah but what about the Hacienda, yeah but my radio show in 1986 pioneered UK house, yeah but he invented Madchester, yeah but I was there first, yeah but yeah but yeah but.... " its all well and good to sit in your armchairs and criticise, object, and complain, and please feel free to do so until the cows come home, or until you win the prize, whatever it is you want to prove.... but from the comfort of the sofa where I am currently sitting, just over 30 years later than my first Acid House parties, and the most incredible journey (and I am so grateful to have made a career) that was born from it all its like this:
If you weren't losing your mind dancing in the Dungeons down one of those dark tunnels at one point....if you weren't licking the walls of some mad warehouse after dropping a window pane or a Nut Nut, watching your hands melting and pissing yourself laughing in a heap on the floor as the music pumped and the strobe blasted through the smoke.... if you weren't still dancing long after the music had stopped, grinning from ear to ear.... if you didn't hug and make friends with complete strangers that became your best mate instantly week in, week out, and if you didn't lose the ability to pee for a while after dropping one too many callies.... you don't really know what it was all about....
Music... yeah yeah, we know.
DJs.... yeah yeah yeah.... we know.
Parties.... we know....
But that total madness of Acid House Warehouses and loved up raving that was the best night of your life, every weekend.... you can't get that wrong - either you were there, and I mean REALLY there, or you ain't got a clue.

More tea vicar?
<3

So lucky to have lived through the last 40 years of music, school days and clubs gave me a choice of

House / Techno (and all the genres)
MADchester
Ambient
Shoe-gazing
Grunge
`Stadium Size` Heavy Metal
Breaks and DnB
Gothic

The radio today sounds pretty bland in comparison.

So lucky to have lived through the last 40 years of music, school days and clubs gave me a choice of

House / Techno (and all the genres)
MADchester
Ambient
Shoe-gazing
Grunge
`Stadium Size` Heavy Metal
Breaks and DnB
Gothic

The radio today sounds pretty bland in comparison.
I was just about to shout...What! No punk, then started counting back.....

a BBC producer once told me that their formatted music docs never go too deep because they don't have the resources and also they don't want to alienate Joe Public - whereas the heads already know all the history and inevitably always want more from docs, so ultimately nobody ends up satisfied. the general history is pretty well-documented but I think certain aspects get forgotten eg the local, regional scenes around the UK, Europe and US and some of the subcultures that came with the music. I think every generation thinks it was at the vanguard of some massive revolution and then their kids come along and just shrug. what I think has changed is that the punk spirit has gone from music. something like the klf could never go top 10 now. it's partly evil emperor cowell's fault but also changes in tech, society etc. it's all too easy and no struggle was ever meant to be easy...

what I think has changed is that the punk spirit has gone from music. something like the klf could never go top 10 now. it's partly evil emperor cowell's fault but also changes in tech, society etc. it's all too easy and no struggle was ever meant to be easy...
Noel Gallagher makes an excellent point on the Oasis ‘Supersonic’ documentary when talking about youth movements (Britpop arguably being the last one, after acid house / summer of love).

He said that the internet has stopped them from happening as now it’s so easy to find others who are into the same music as you even if it’s really niche. Great in some ways but means you don’t get a critical mass getting behind any one specific genre resulting in a movement.

The rave scene of the early 90's was the commercial explosion, acid was the start in the UK, but the UK took that and it developed into the hardcore sound of 90 - 92/93, which developed into something much bigger - massive raves all over the country, new fashions, new styles of music (breakbeats/faster 4/4), it seemed like everyone was into it at the time, but these documentaries always skip over that, they talk about acid, maybe mention The Prodigy, then if they are still talking about the rave scene then it skips straight to drum and bass/jungle!

Maybe that early rave scene is not looked upon as that important, maybe too many chipmonk vocals, or kids tv show samples?

While all that was going on, you still have the house music scene which was very popular too

The rave scene of the early 90's was the commercial explosion, acid was the start in the UK, but the UK took that and it developed into the hardcore sound of 90 - 92/93, which developed into something much bigger - massive raves all over the country, new fashions, new styles of music (breakbeats/faster 4/4), it seemed like everyone was into it at the time, but these documentaries always skip over that, they talk about acid, maybe mention The Prodigy, then if they are still talking about the rave scene then it skips straight to drum and bass/jungle!

Maybe that early rave scene is not looked upon as that important, maybe too many chipmonk vocals, or kids tv show samples?

While all that was going on, you still have the house music scene which was very popular too

yep

the key thing to remember is that house music (esp the US stuff) was all about the clubs and didn't have a lot to do with the raves - which reflected the split from 89 onwards with city and suburban kids going in different directions. then the raves themselves (around 93?) split into the ("happy") hardcore and ("dark") jungle scenes and then you get all these myriad niche scenes that sprang out of it.

meanwhile a lot of other music from that era has largely been forgotten - ragga, techno-trance, goa, baggy, eurobeat, acid jazz, hip-house...

I went to clubs in the South West where I was a student and would hear all these genres under the same roof on the same night (£1 with an NUS card) because all these new DJs were experimenting and the snobbery had yet to set in - nobody knew/cared who the DJ was, nobody had their name branded and nobody was on some wack stage thinking they're God

89-94 for me personally was a beautiful, magical time for music culture which will never be replicated

Noel Gallagher makes an excellent point on the Oasis ‘Supersonic’ documentary when talking about youth movements (Britpop arguably being the last one, after acid house / summer of love).

Britpop was 99% crap, though, looking back on it, and pretty embarrassing when you consider some of those bands were sucking up to Tony Blair (who admittedly wasn't quite a super villain at that point). Most of those bands were aping bands in your mum and dad's record collection, so barely a (new) youth movement.

Back