Hawtin Bashing

surely using vinyl is better than just pressing 'sync' on a laptop or controller?

thats irrelevant and just a point of view. My point is that its ok to have either point of view and not be obnoxious about it. Anyway i think this has had waaay more airtime than it deserves. The guy can be a great dj who happened to say something that annoyed alot of people , me included , lets leave it at that

Can anyone tell me what is actually wrong with what he said?

What kind ofworld are we living in now that you can't even make a statement like that???????????????

It came across to many as inferring that dj's using vinyl were inferior to those using up to date technology and just had an air of arrogance about it. If he hadnt put "dj" in inverted commas it wouldnt have sounded so arsey

If he hadnt put "dj" in inverted commas it wouldnt have sounded so arsey

I'm with you 100%, why didnt he just say DJ? The inverted commas implies that he doesn't think he merits the name of DJ, and he's only based that on the fact he uses vinyl.

But as other people have said, that's just one silly comment and there's no need to crucify him for it.

Heavens though, how easy it is to kick up a storm on the internet when you're a known face :lol: - no lashes for Richie - instead, 1,000 manual cues on the Technics for such a hasty remark ... did he not realize the guy was carrying curtain samples for Berghain in that record box anyhow ?

It's funny how the politically correct element of society who manage to take offence at the slightest thing feel that it's ok to compare someone to the likes of Hitler for merely making a slightly snobbish remark.

I'm still a vinyl dj (going to cds soon though) and i couldn't care less about what Richie Hawtin said, i still think he is a good dj.
I don't mind computer dj's, the 'sync' button bothers me though. If you can mix using vinyl or cds, but then went onto computer djing and sometimes use the 'sync' button then i think that's ok (just). But if you only know how to mix using the 'sync' button, well then you can't really call yourself a dj.
Obviously Richie Hawtin has been around a while, so probably can mix using vinyl and cd, so even when he does use the 'sync' button i think that's Ok.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a sync button as long as the individual is doing other more complicated things that take time and practise. Is beat matching really that hard that we have to throw our toys out when it doesn't happen manually for the sake of technology moving on? I've seen R.H. live and he seems to be pressing a few buttons and twiddling a few knobs most of the time... I have no idea what he's doing, he could be playing angry birds for all I know and neither do I care much as long as I'm dancing and having a good time... It's not as though he is some new DJ thats popped out of the woodwork with a sh1t tune featuring Flo Rida and done sweet F.a. to get where he is :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with a sync button as long as the individual is doing other more complicated things that take time and practise. Is beat matching really that hard that we have to throw our toys out when it doesn't happen manually for the sake of technology moving on? I've seen R.H. live and he seems to be pressing a few buttons and twiddling a few knobs most of the time... I have no idea what he's doing, he could be playing angry birds for all I know and neither do I care much as long as I'm dancing and having a good time... It's not as though he is some new DJ thats popped out of the woodwork with a sh1t tune featuring Flo Rida and done sweet F.a. to get where he is :)

Richie Hawtin uses Traktor, he uses 4 virtual decks at the same time, and i do believe he uses 2 controllers, he uses the sync button, but like i said he's been around a while so that's fine.
If someone can only mix by getting the computer to mix for them, then they aren't really djs, may as well stick a mix cd on and have a bit of a kip.

...and I remember the days that beat counters were considered cheating

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

me too, at one point i had a mixer with a light that used to flash when both decks were beat matched, stuck a bit of blue tack over it, because i found it more off putting than anything else!
What's wrong with listening to the two tracks, beat matching and mixing it using your ears?

Back