- Four & Five Star Fever For Ibiza Hotels -

Status
Not open for further replies.
because 4 and 5 star hotels are easier to sell, much better revenue wise fo the company and creates more jobs in the island.

so what's your take on all inclusive then? more money for the company even, but poison for the island as such

I would never go all inclusive anywhere,its not good for the local economy . And I suppose tips for the workers at all inclusive places are few and far between. ?

So the workers at these hotels are on shit money,work long hours putting up with people eating and drinking as much as possible because they have already paid for it ,and there isn't even a tip at the end of the day... sounds like f***ing misery to me,poke your job up yer arse!

there is something horrible about all inclusive resorts - it's basically saying:

1 we want a cheap and easy holiday
2 we don't want to be exposed to anything local, original or with character
3 we're not going to support local people/businesses
4 we just want to hang around with our own kind
5 we could be anywhere on earth, but we don't care - provided we get a suntan

so what's your take on all inclusive then? more money for the company even, but poison for the island as such

About all inclusive...food and beverage businesses in Ibiza have been doing a terrible job the last 10 years with very high prices and very bad service (I have experience this first hand) and that has scared many potential customers to All Inclusive Hotels. Try to offer a good value for money and your business will be full (Comidas san Juan, Es Pins, Chriringuito de Talamanca for example).

Nothing new, just a resume of previous posts...

Three new 5-star hotels next summer:
-Paya Hotel in Formentera
-Ibiza Bay Resort & Spa Gran Lujo in Talamanca
-Sir Joan Ibiza Hotel in the Pacha roundabout

Cala Nova Playa will upgrade to 5 stars

Various hotels will upgrade from 3 to 4, Milord I and Milord II in the bay for example

More new hotels: Sandos El Greco Hotel in Portinatx (4), Aluasoul Ibiza in Es Canar (4)...

http://periodicodeibiza.es/pitiusas...modernizacion-suma-tres-nuevos-estrellas.html
By the way a big % of this hotels refurbs are not going to be to all inclusive... ;)

and by putting more 4 and 5* hotels, do you @El_Diablo think restaurants will get any cheaper? au contraire, it will further increase prices of everything on the island...even the chiringuito in talamanca has become far more expensive in the last few years

the thing is, the trend of upgrading and 'deluxe-ing' everything is a shortsighted plan and will eventually bite the island in the ass at some point.

of course the island needs a few 4 or 5* hotels, no doubt about that. but lots of hotels are now upgrading (mostly cheap upgrades - they fulfill the standards to get the additional stars, but it's not quality remodelings...shitty furniture that breaks after one season etc) and what we miss out on is affordable accommodation. so what do people do? they do airbnb. which is what people shouldn't do here, because it takes away accommodation for people who actually live and work here. maybe there will be a proper clampdown on this in a few years (can't see it happening this summer already), but then, if there's no affordable accommodation available because everything has become so expensive in the meantime, the young people will effectively stop coming. which then turns into a real problem for quite a few businesses, because if the dancefloor is empty, it's not sexy to be up in the VIP at your table is it? especially for the nightlife industry, the bottom end of the market is important - the 4 and 5* clients aren't the big mass that actually fill the dancefloors.

we might (most likely will) get another few good seasons, not least because of the current political situation around the med, but once other destinations feel 'safe' again, I'm pretty sure we'll feel the hit. and not having any reasonably priced accommodation on offer will make things even worse.

on a long term scale, it's plain and simply wrong.

Good post Stivi. It's an interesting one. As you say a lot of these 4/5* hotels are all 'fur coat and no knickers'. In a lot a cases I think they just had to renovate, and will milk the bubble while they can and slap a 5* on it. My guess is a lot of those hotels will not change again for 20+ years and eventually drop prices.

I used to come to Ibiza in late 80/early 90s as a kid with my parents, and then remember going back in 2005 and the hotels were the same..... the same bloody curtains etc. A lot of these have now been refurbished. Most of those refurbished Palladium ones in PDB will I am sure be like they are now in 2040.

As you say, the danger for Ibiza is that tap of cheap accommodation as an entry point all goes, and then the knock on that has. I think the likes of San An need to be very careful if they do turn into PDB-Lite.

However, I think there are a few things that will help Ibiza survive on and on and on. Brand Ibiza is so damn strong and I just can't see much changing it, and it is everywhere in music, and popular culture at the moment. Ibiza Rocks and Ushuaia have done so much in that respects (even if many of us don't like them). In 2008 people said it was over, and look at it now and how it reinvented. Yes the 'Celebs' will move on to the next big place, but there are really no places that will ever cater for the young, old, rich, poor, aspirational, gay, straight (and the list goes on) like Ibiza does. New places come, but they cater for a limited audience, or are in an area in the SE Med that take 4+ hours from London/Berlin/Amsterdam to get to. Ibiza still has the BEST location of any location with most big conurbations in Europe about 2 hours away. It is still a weekend option! A Greek Island is NOT a weekend option.

If the numbers start to fall then I am sure the those 'fur coat and no knickers' hotels will have to follow by dropping their prices....

Most of those refurbished Palladium ones in PDB will I am sure be like they are now in 2040.
Palladium just spent more than 120 million euros in refurbs in the last 5 seasons and almost every season refurbs one of its hotels (this year Ushuaia Club) so I don't know where you get that thought from...

Palladium just spent more than 120 million euros in refurbs in the last 5 seasons and almost every season refurbs one of its hotels (this year Ushuaia Club) so I don't know where you get that thought from...

What's being refurbished at Ushuaia? All of the "club rooms"?

Ushuaia club. Never heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back