Fabric

On the save save fabric front, my 8 year son has ended up with the #savefabric t-shirt he's always wanted. One wash and it was done....although to be fair the missus washed it and she swears blind she didn't do anything unusual (she does have a bit of previous :)).

Good news on fabric though, hopefully they are not constrained too much with whatever they can hopefully agree.

The conditions for re entry are shocking

- The use of a new I.D. scanning system on entry to the club
- Enhanced searching procedures and controls - Covert surveillance within the club
- Life-time bans for anyone found in possession of drugs, whether on entry or within the club
- Life-time bans for anyone trying to buy drugs in the club
- Enhanced monitoring and external auditing for compliance against procedures
- Physical changes to the club, including improved lighting and additional CCTV provision
- A new Security Company
- Persons under 19 years of age shall not be permitted to be on the premises as a customer or guest from 2000 hours on a Friday until 0800 hours on the following Monday or on any day during the hours that the operators promote a Core Club Night.

- Enhanced searching procedures and controls - Covert surveillance within the club
- Life-time bans for anyone found in possession of drugs, whether on entry or within the club
- Physical changes to the club, including improved lighting and additional CCTV provision
- A new Security Company
- Persons under 19 years of age shall not be permitted to be on the premises as a customer or guest from 2000 hours on a Friday until 0800 hours on the following Monday or on any day during the hours that the operators promote a Core Club Night.

Well, they could just keep it closed? What would you prefer?

Just wondering if this will apply to Mr Villalobos?!

Yeah, like Diver says, we don't want it to be gone for good do we? The problem is that we are still miles away from the debate that really needs addressing seriously - drug policy, and how we can change things positively to try and save some of these lives that are going to waste, rather than the culture of fear and guilt that continues to be associated.

Still, celebrate the victory here eh! We've got one of the best clubs in the world back!

Great result and feels like a win for the people. Everyone who contributed should be very proud.

Agree with elmooreo that this does nothing to actually change drug policy. What happens when some kid scared of getting caught and banned for life drops 3 pills and a load of mdma in the taxi on the way to fabric walks in ok but drops down inside of an overdose. I dont know what the answer to all this is but closing venues or enforcing strict door policies is not going to stop drug related deaths. It just moves the problem to another elsewhere.

Anyway, well done fabric! I just hope it can survive under the new conditions. Time will tell

- A new Security Company

They dont seem that ridiculous to me. Could have been a whole lot worse

I dont know what the answer to all this is but closing venues or enforcing strict door policies is not going to stop drug related deaths. It just moves the problem to another elsewhere.

Accept it happens, and provide pill testing and free water would be a good start. But that'll never happen.

Yup. They've been forced to admit they're wrong, that some of the building blocks of club culture are wrong and many of their clients are wrong, missing an opportunity to fight for proper harm reduction measures. Sounds like a very hollow victory to me. The place will have the atmosphere of one of those townie clubs where people go to get pissed, pull and fight...

Just wondering if this will apply to Mr Villalobos?!

Yeah, like Diver says, we don't want it to be gone for good do we? The problem is that we are still miles away from the debate that really needs addressing seriously - drug policy, and how we can change things positively to try and save some of these lives that are going to waste, rather than the culture of fear and guilt that continues to be associated.

Still, celebrate the victory here eh! We've got one of the best clubs in the world back!
Yup. They've been forced to admit they're wrong, that some of the building blocks of club culture are wrong and many of their clients are wrong, missing an opportunity to fight for proper harm reduction measures. Sounds like a very hollow victory to me. The place will have the atmosphere of one of those townie clubs where people go to get pissed, pull and fight...
Accept it happens, and provide pill testing and free water would be a good start. But that'll never happen.

All sum up my thoughts. Seems short sighted by Fabric unless they are still fighting this somehow ?

1 incident in the club and they are gone forever with no recourse.

Unfortunately those rules will scare clubbers away. I have read enough times on this forum comments from people saying they stopped going because the door search was too intrusive and that was before the closure. IF the rules really are as strict as they appear then sadly i would be suprised if fabric is still around beyond the next couple of years. Difference being rather than waking up one day to be told the license has gone and the doors are closed it will be fabric announcing a big closing party, thanking everyone for 15+ years off clubbing history and going out with a bang. It will then be sold to property developers. People will be upset but not angry because it will all be done on fabrics terms and it will get a send off it deserves much like the end, cross and all the other venues down the years.

I applaud fabric for standing up to the closure because the way the council went about taking the license and operation lenor was just wrong. But the rules show that london councils will not make it easy for these venues to carry on operating.

They dont seem that ridiculous to me. Could have been a whole lot worse

Me neither. Easy to say as I don't do drugs I guess - if people want to they'll just have to be discreet and organized about it. Hopefully put an end to being touted pills and coke on the dancefloor, or asked for them, neither of which I would miss !

quality line ups from fabric. The ellen allien scuba night and the maceo one stick out.

Really looking forward to be back

Didn't make it but would be interested to hear what it was like.

The reviews I've read (RA and Mixmag) play down the new measures and seem to suggest that not all that much has changed in terms of experience. Just a few more lights on here and there...hopefully that is the case and there is something of a middle ground rather than what everyone has feared...

Back